Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #15

Regarding Roadside Assistance

I can't honestly recommend Good Sam. Sorry, but all my experiences in the past month have been bad ones.

Every time I called (Once for a flat tire, once for a jack that slipped down and we couldn't get it back up), phone calls lasted AT LEAST 20 minutes with the person asking stupid questions that we had already answered, and that had nothing whatsoever to do with the issue. Not once, but but over and over again. Not to mention that I had already verified most of the information early on in the phone call.

For the flat tire, I explained very clearly that we had a spare, we just needed help changing the tire because we were on a busy interstate, unable to drive further. I even told her (after the first fifteen minutes) I was willing to pay for it, but we wanted to get off the side of the very congested interstate asap. Both times they said they'd hook me up with dispatch and I got disconnected. In the time it took for them to get back with me, I had found a tire repair service myself and had a tech on the way. The second time, we ended up finding an rv dealer close by and seeking their opinion on our own and just gave up on GS. It was the most frustrating experience I've ever had with a customer service person. It was almost like she was trying to tick me off.

Since then, I've had recommendations from several fellow rvers to try coach.net. I will soon be cutting my ties with Good Sam and signing up with them.

YMMV

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #16

I think that's probably a good recommendation. I've heard much the same thing.

However, I did think that right off the bat, I needed some sort of roadside assistance. I chose Good Sam simply because they are sort of the "standard" in order to give me time to check into other programs. I understand that Winnebago has its own roadside assistance program and of course there's Coachnet. I think there are others as well. I will indeed be looking into those others and reading about them over the next few months.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE View Post
Kieva Books???

Joe and Vicki Kieva are a couple who have been in RV'ing for many years, have appeared and given seminars at many RV rallies and RV shows and have published a number of easy to read and very informative books about all aspects of buying, owning and operating a motor home. My wife and I met them at the Hershey RV Show some years ago and attended one of their seminars. They were very entertaining and helpful to us as newbies at that time. We bought one of their books at the seminar, read it cover to cover, and liked it so much that we went to their web site -- RVtraveladventures.com -- found a couple of others that they wrote, got and read those and have really found their advice to be right on for us.

The books we bought were published in the mid 2000's so they are a bit dated now, but they are definitely excellent reading for those of us interesting in this fabulous life style. I highly recommend them.

The Kieva's, like many of us, retired from their active work so, sadly, we will likely not see them at the rallies and RV shows as presenters of their excellent seminars.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 - All Electric / 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit AWD / SMI Air Force One / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Okay, now after many years of wishing, I've finally got that beautiful Class A sitting in a storage lot waiting for us to take our first trip next week. But as I peruse this and other forums, I keep seeing references to things that I don't have and I wonder...do I need them?
Hi Jackalope,

I found that several short trips early on helped me to flush out the "necessities" for me. Things like an outside rug at the foot of the steps to keep some of the dirt out of the MH, cables/connectors, stove top tea pot and coffee pot for when boondocking (without electricity). In the sailing world, there is a history of people spending years getting their boat ready to sail but never actually going anywhere because there is always "one more thing" that is "needed".
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Hi Jackalope,

I found that several short trips early on helped me to flush out the "necessities" for me. Things like an outside rug at the foot of the steps to keep some of the dirt out of the MH, cables/connectors, stove top tea pot and coffee pot for when boondocking (without electricity). In the sailing world, there is a history of people spending years getting their boat ready to sail but never actually going anywhere because there is always "one more thing" that is "needed".

X2 on The short trips first.

The most important thing to take is a pen with a lot of ink and a large notepad to write down all the thing you forgot or need. Write it down as soon as you think of it and keep it handy in the coach.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
[*]I've got my 55 amp cable and I've even bought a 30 amp adapter. But I keep seeing references to some kind of surge protector or voltage meters. Do I need these things if I don't have any problems?
There are two kinds of Surge Protector, one costs about 100 bucks, can detect some line problems with it's 3 LIGHTS, but, frankly all it does is clip spikes, it is not much good in a brown out or sustained high voltage condition (Brown out is low voltage) Low voltages can damage epically air conditioners.

The better ones cost a bunch more for a 50 amp (Get one that matches your RV 50 amp) and have a alpha-numeric display that shows volts, amps, and other information, Progressive Dynamics is the best brand though I have the one Camping World Sells (Got a great deal).

I do recommend them.

Quote:
[*]I've paid a lot of attention to how to properly rinse and drain my holding tanks. Do I need to add some sort of chemicals to them?
I do not recommend chemicals other than Hydrogen Hydroxide (HINT: that is a fancy name for Water, also known as Di-hidrogen Mono-oxcide, usually on 4/1 any year).

Now: If you go weeks on end without dumping, Biological (Waste digesters) May be of use.. NOTE: odds are your tank level sensors (Waste tanks) will work properly the first time, and never again always showing 2/3 tank or something like that. Normal, do not worry about it.

Quote:
[*]I've signed on for the Good Sam Road Assistance program just to make sure I wasn't stranded. Is that sufficient? Do I really need it?
Well, that is kind of AAA for Motor homes and Trailer RV's. they will get you to a repair facility but you still have to pay for the fix.. Good Sam's will bombard you with ads for their vehicle protection service.. Your choice on that.

Most folks feel Coach Net is better than GS.. But Well.. Both of them use contract towers and thats where the problems often lie. When i had to call Coach Net they sent the local contract tower (A very good one I might add) who sent a truck 2 sizes too small.. His strong back and my Strong mind, we got it done, but it was close and the driver was not happy with his dispatcher. Only had to rewrite a couple pages of the tow truck operator's manual.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Joe and Vicki Kieva are a couple who have been in RV'ing for many years, have appeared and given seminars at many RV rallies and RV shows and have published a number of easy to read and very informative books about all aspects of buying, owning and operating a motor home. My wife and I met them at the Hershey RV Show some years ago and attended one of their seminars. They were very entertaining and helpful to us as newbies at that time. We bought one of their books at the seminar, read it cover to cover, and liked it so much that we went to their web site -- RVtraveladventures.com -- found a couple of others that they wrote, got and read those and have really found their advice to be right on for us.

The books we bought were published in the mid 2000's so they are a bit dated now, but they are definitely excellent reading for those of us interesting in this fabulous life style. I highly recommend them.

The Kieva's, like many of us, retired from their active work so, sadly, we will likely not see them at the rallies and RV shows as presenters of their excellent seminars.

Deek
Thanks a ton. Bought two of them last night!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Hi Jackalope,

LOL! Yes, there is indeed.

However! I don't mind leaving port without the solar powered automatic toenail clippers, but I would like to make sure that I don't have a hole in the bottom before setting sail!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are two kinds of Surge Protector, one costs about 100 bucks, can detect some line problems with it's 3 LIGHTS, but, frankly all it does is clip spikes, it is not much good in a brown out or sustained high voltage condition (Brown out is low voltage) Low voltages can damage epically air conditioners.

The better ones cost a bunch more for a 50 amp (Get one that matches your RV 50 amp) and have a alpha-numeric display that shows volts, amps, and other information, Progressive Dynamics is the best brand though I have the one Camping World Sells (Got a great deal).

I do recommend them.

I do not recommend chemicals other than Hydrogen Hydroxide (HINT: that is a fancy name for Water, also known as Di-hidrogen Mono-oxcide, usually on 4/1 any year).

Now: If you go weeks on end without dumping, Biological (Waste digesters) May be of use.. NOTE: odds are your tank level sensors (Waste tanks) will work properly the first time, and never again always showing 2/3 tank or something like that. Normal, do not worry about it.

Well, that is kind of AAA for Motor homes and Trailer RV's. they will get you to a repair facility but you still have to pay for the fix.. Good Sam's will bombard you with ads for their vehicle protection service.. Your choice on that.

Most folks feel Coach Net is better than GS.. But Well.. Both of them use contract towers and thats where the problems often lie. When i had to call Coach Net they sent the local contract tower (A very good one I might add) who sent a truck 2 sizes too small.. His strong back and my Strong mind, we got it done, but it was close and the driver was not happy with his dispatcher. Only had to rewrite a couple pages of the tow truck operator's manual.
Okay, so what do you do if your handy-dandy Buck Rogers Surge thingy says, "Hey sport, you're really only getting about 20 amps out of that 50 amp outlet!" No way to fix the problem is there? All you can really do is disconnect and go to your generator, right?

Great info about the tank and Good Sam. I've never been a real fan of AAA and I doubt I will be of either Good Sam or Coach Net. But being a newbie here, I'm looking for a life preserver until I feel good that I know how to swim.

Tags