Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
The driver of the 18T heavy rigid truck in the next lane has to be specially trained and licensed, but the driver in the big RV doesn't have to be. Makes little sense.
Too much gov't intrusion into private life now anyway so it's OK, we'll muddle thorough.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #16

it's interesting to read all the messages ... there are a lot of reasons behind each comment, no matter how you say it... i really appreciate it.

it all started from two symptoms - 1) i felt steering wheel pulsing while making sharp turns; 2) on a straight road, it tended to turn to left or right that i had to correct it constantly (it's not about a driving technique though; the alignment was done 10kmi ago). i thought it might be because of low in steering fluid or its filters need to be replaced. that are the simplest things to start with, but i couldn't find where the ps reservoir was... anyway i know it now (thanks Steve Ownby correcting the concept of shared fluid). i topped it off with dexron iii but seems no improvements. next i'll order the filters and see if that makes difference.

i asked a mechanic about the air compressor, which is attached to engine body being directly gear driven. the ps pump is next to it, no belt either. so that is good as i don't need to touch them.

for newbies, there will be a lot questions; to gurus, some might appear idiotic... well we are learning; we will overcome "growing pain" and get there

Old 09-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #17

Steering could be due to slight wear inside the steering box which can sometimes be adjusted out in some boxes.
The other thing that can happen is people tend to over drive when they get into the seat of a large vehicle - meaning holding the wheel too tightly with two hands in the expectation that being big, it needs firm handling. You end up fighting against yourself. Sometimes the wandering can be solved by just relaxing and lightening up the touch a bit.
Other factors that can help include fairly minor changes in the front geometry to improve the tracking, getting the tyre pressure right, getting used to being blown around by the wind a little bit, and maybe even checking to see if the shop missed any loose joints in the steering system, including between the steering wheel and the steering box. That needs to be done by having someone move the steering wheel from side to side with and without the engine running and observing to see if there is any lost movement anywhere. Naturally need to do it safely.

It is a good learning experience and you can quickly become a semi-expert just by reading and listening and observing, especially if like many of us, you have more time than money.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
it's interesting to read all the messages ... there are a lot of reasons behind each comment, no matter how you say it... i really appreciate it.

it all started from two symptoms - 1) i felt steering wheel pulsing while making sharp turns; 2) on a straight road, it tended to turn to left or right that i had to correct it constantly (it's not about a driving technique though; the alignment was done 10kmi ago). i thought it might be because of low in steering fluid or its filters need to be replaced. that are the simplest things to start with, but i couldn't find where the ps reservoir was... anyway i know it now (thanks Steve Ownby correcting the concept of shared fluid). i topped it off with dexron iii but seems no improvements. next i'll order the filters and see if that makes difference.

i asked a mechanic about the air compressor, which is attached to engine body being directly gear driven. the ps pump is next to it, no belt either. so that is good as i don't need to touch them.

for newbies, there will be a lot questions; to gurus, some might appear idiotic... well we are learning; we will overcome "growing pain" and get there
The pulsing on "Sharp" turns could be the pump going into relief. Try not to force the wheel all the way tight to the end of travel.(If that is what you are doing).
The wandering and constant correcting could be dry(lack of grease) ball joints or king pins(which ever it has). That is if your alignment is for sure correct.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #19

thank you both. i'll look into these places.

Tags