Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Community Moderator

newbie questions: where are these belts?

hi all, shame for not knowing these really elementary parts on a 00 country coach:
1) where are power steering pump, reservoir and belt?
2) where is air compressor?
3) is a power brake master cylinder?

i looked at engine bay very hard but still unable to locate them. am i the only one?

thanks for your instruction.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shouldn't be any of those belts. Those items are directly driven.
You should have a belt to run the A/C. Another belt to run your water pump and alternator.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
is a power brake master cylinder?
What sort of braking system do you have? I would have thought it was all air.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Shouldn't be any of those belts. Those items are directly driven.
You should have a belt to run the A/C. Another belt to run your water pump and alternator.
no wonder i couldn't find it. i came to know the big cylindral container to the passenger side at engine compartment containing hydraulic fluid (dexron ii) is shared for power steering and slideout.

thanks much!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
What sort of braking system do you have? I would have thought it was all air.
mine has an air brake sys. i was thinking that air brake was for parking only, actually it does both parking and normal braking...
Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
mine has an air brake sys. i was thinking that air brake was for parking only, actually it does both parking and normal braking...
Quite scary if you are operating a unit like that down the road and you "Don't know what kind of brake system you have". They must be very forgiving where you are about licensing and proper endorsements. It seems like anyone can hop into an air brake vehicle with little or no knowledge and fly down the highway.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #7

So who is to blame? The dealers for sending people out on the road without making sure they have an understanding of the limitations of the systems installed in their rig - or the government that allows people with a standard drivers licence to get behind the wheel of monster buses with no further training. Just have to look through forums and observe what goes on on the road to see.

Not your fault sdlcrazier, just the system - but there are things about large diesel pushers that you might want to read up on if you haven't already.

Obviously the braking system is one. Pretty foolproof but not idiot-proof. and they do need checking which is why they have brake check pulloffs at the top of steep downgrades.
Engine braking is another - exhaust brakes, engine brakes, transmission retarder - all different and they all have serious limitations even though you wouldn't think so watching big MHs careering down steep grades as if they were driving sports cars.
Conserving your brakes - by downshifting, snub braking and proper use of retarders.
Preventing overheating on up-grades by downshifting, slowing down ...
Use of cruise control ...
Parking brake - just how does it work.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The FIRST thing I would do is obtain an owners manual for the coach and engine...
The SECOND is read and understand both...
This is a good place for help with the understanding part.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
First air brake manual I found in a quick search:

http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/cdl/section5.pdf
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
First air brake manual I found in a quick search:

http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/cdl/section5.pdf
Yes that is very similar to what we have up here. I wonder how many RV'ers with the big units actually perform a pretrip inspection before taking off, just as the manual describes. From what I read on this forum and a couple others I would assume very few do it. All I hear is people always saying "CDL Not Required".......Big deal. That doesn't mean you are exempt from performing a pretrip inspection every time you want to take off for a trip.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Question

I guess I've never understood why an RV driver needs to know so much about how the air brake system is designed. You push on the pedal and it slows down, right? Of course a driver should be familiar enough with his vehicle to understand it's maintenance needs and the warning signs of an impending failure, just as you should know the same about the hydraulic system in the family car. Dealers and RV manufacturers are remiss in NOT providing information about that sort of thing.

OK, you can turn up the flames now...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Gary, I think the operator needs to know when he has enough air in the system to make the brakes reliable. That typically would be at about 120 psi.

The operator also needs to know that if the air drops below 60 psi, the spring brake may engage and he will not be able to move the vehicle. This could be real important when crossing the railroad tracks.

If one knows how to read the air gauge status and test the reaction of the brakes to the air system he will be better prepared to stop in the next few moments.

The only warning in a hydraulic brake system is when the pedal goes to the floor. If you are on the downside of a hill, you will keep moving in that direction.

Also, the engine driven compressor and associated lines on my Cummins does not typically require service unless the system does not pass the DOT air brake pre-trip test.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
You push on the pedal and it slows down, right?
I'd say the concern is not just about lack of understanding about the brakes, but because the brakes are just one part of a large heavy vehicle, not knowing about brakes may also mean not knowing about the dynamics of large heavy vehicles.

The driver of the 18T heavy rigid truck in the next lane has to be specially trained and licensed, but the driver in the big RV doesn't have to be. Makes little sense.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier

no wonder i couldn't find it. i came to know the big cylindral container to the passenger side at engine compartment containing hydraulic fluid (dexron ii) is shared for power steering and slideout.

thanks much!
Actually, the big container of hydraulic fluid is shared by the power steering and the fans cooling the side radiator. Any hydraulic powered slides use another system.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags