Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I purchased my first Class A Diesel Pusher used (2 yrs old) in 2001 and kept it for 11 years and would still own it if I hadn't lost it in a fire. I figured the $10k I spent updating it in 2012 was money well spent. When you consider the depreciation on a a coach and the sales tax, it was easy for me to spend money updating versus purchasing new or newer.

I like the suggestions of renting if you have never been exposed to camping let alone a Class A.

I also liked the idea of buying used and buying a higher end coach than a lower end new coach. My thinking, which I am sure is flawed to some, is the structural integrity in the coach is very important in these vehicles. You can minimize wear and tear a great deal if you use some common sense. One area I really believe you can minimize wear and tear on any coach is twisting the frames. By planning ahead and not turning into step entrances/exits, especially fuel stops, shopping centers, etc.

Cabinets are a big area where I believe mfg.'s save money, so the better quality cabinets and hardware are important to me when evaluating the longevity of a coach. Hardware such a drawer glides and construction of cabinet faces are very important.

I would also have the coach weighed prior to purchasing and know how much carry capacity you will have? DO NOT rely on mfg data. I believe larger carry capacity (amount of weight you can actually carry, the GVW - actual weight of the coach) will also lessen the stress on the overall condition of the coach.

Storage consideration is another item I would research prior to purchasing your first unit. Obviously storage with the coach protected from the elements will help slow the aging process, and depending on your climate, climate control storage may be important both from heat and cold.

These are not all the factors, but with some research on this forum I think you can learn a lot to assist you in making an informed decision.

My ideas may not be for everyone, but I at least hope it helps you in your thought process of what is best for you as everyone's finances, how you will use the coach, etc will be different.

I wish you luck in your adventure, I love the life style and the positive impact it has had on our family. My Senior in College and 3rd year Law School child both still plan trips with us whether it is tailgating for road games, ski trips, or just long weekends we get to share time with them.

Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
Crasher, I was just given the same good advice 3 days ago. Guess I have to really make some new changes as that does make really good sense. It would be a bad move to buy brand new and not like it. Just running through my thoughts it is actualy making more sense to look in that direction.

Tuf-e-nuf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #17
After reading these post I have most definetly been given a whole new area to look into now. Used does sound like a good way to get my feet wet, but how does getting a good warranty work or is it possible? And wow! Is this life style so addicting that one could end up on their 5th coach? For some reason that sounds kinda cool. I would love to be able to buy my last coach 1st and hope that happens but there seems to be a strange sense of adventure in trading in for another.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
if your thinking used the 2006 Fleetwood Excursion i have seen many of them go up in fires

for a DP new or used if your not going to drive more then lest say 6000$ in fuel a year ... i would rethink a DP

i moved from a DP to a UFO gas pusher but a class A is the way to go

hope you really find whats right for you
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
There are certain issues that come up frequently that have equally divided responses. What tires are best, which shocks, which insurance company, diesel or gas , new or used purchase etc,etc,etc.. One of the few issues everyone agrees on is the floor plan being important. We started with an older class C because we didn't know if we would really enjoy camping. We did, so next was a newer class A. Loved the A, but wished we had a slide. So currently have an A with a slide. There's a learning curve most go thru when picking a MH. Figure out what you like and don't like with a couple different rentals over a period of time and then start your search. With all that said, we will continue to buy newer used MH's.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Tuf-e-nuf. View Post
After reading these post I have most definetly been given a whole new area to look into now. Used does sound like a good way to get my feet wet, but how does getting a good warranty work or is it possible? And wow! Is this life style so addicting that one could end up on their 5th coach? For some reason that sounds kinda cool. I would love to be able to buy my last coach 1st and hope that happens but there seems to be a strange sense of adventure in trading in for another.
You can buy a warranty if you want (The pros and cons of warranties are endlessly debated) and only you can decide if it's worth it.

As far as being on my sixth coach that's because each coach was bought for a specific purpose. I started with a Class C because my boys loved sleeping in the cab over berth and it was a family friendly model. 2nd Coach was a larger Class C because we went from 2 boys to 3 boys. After the boys got older and didn't travel with us so much we got a Class A gasser we then moved to the Pacific Northwest and were traveling mountains much more often so we bought a DP. As our needs and travels changed we got another DP but this one was smaller but with a bigger engine. Finally when we made the move to full-timing we sold the DP and bought a Class A gasser that had the best full-timing floor-plan we have seen. Each coach served a specific purpose and filled a specific need so buying my last coach first would have been a disaster for me.

Just FYI, before I bought my first Class C I had rented about 10 different coaches so we knew basically what we wanted. I highly suggest that you rent at least once, what would happen if you bought a coach and went on your first trip and found out this wasn't for you.
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #21
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my research and looking at coaches I ran into enough issues to take Fleetwood off of my list to look at. I am not saying that people who own them do not like them and have good luck with them I just had enough reservations to stop looking at them.

If you have time go to a factory and look at how they make their coaches. I went to the tiffin factory and was very impressed.

I have a good sams warranty I purchased with my used coach. I have used it a lot getting small things repaired. I had a small problem at the beginning with my paperwork not getting entered into the system promptly that would not have been a problem except I had a fuel line crack three weeks after I bought my unit. A call to my dealer got the paperwork issue fixed and a note to the CEO got the rest of the problem resolved. If you get a warranty with your coach make sure that you tell any repair facility this will be a warranty repair and they have to get authorization before they do any repairs. Good Sams will absolutely refuse to pay any repair no matter what the reason if they did not preauthorize it. That was the problem that I had to go to the CEO over. My warranty was not in their system. My coach was sitting alongside the road and even though I called them several times. The coach was repaired without there pre approval. They denied my claim twice before I got marcus involved. Other than that they have been excellent. I have had a leveler jack replaced, satellite dish, fuel line, hydraulic cooling fan controller, power cord reel, shower drain, engine oil leak. All repairs other than the fuel line repaired and paid with no problem. When I had the hydraulic fan controller replaced the freightliner repair facility refused to release my coach until they were paid. I did not want to pay the repair bill ( several hundred dollars) and then worry if I was going to be reimbursed or not. I offered to leave a credit card number and if good sams warranty did not pay them they could bill it but the finance person would not do that. The repair shop manager called good sams warranty and explained the problem to them and good sams faxed a check to them on the spot. So I have had good luck with them.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
we've been really fortunate with our fleetwood so far. You're in for a ride on deciding what to buy. We spent about 3 months back and forth-ing. I also created a post asking how many folks drove off with no problems, and got a ton of positive responses; opposed to the list of problems that everyone ultimately runs into.

Even though we bought the Fleetwood rev (which pfit us well), the Newmar Ventana used would be high on my short list, as would the Tiffin.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is our third rig. We just bought this fleetwood in july of last year and are already contemplating trading it. We love the fleetwood and are considering fleetwood newmar and Entegra. If I stick to the buy your last coach first philosophy, it will end up being the Entegra. If I find the right coach and floor plan at the upcoming spring shows, we will make a move other wise we will run our bounder another couple years till I find the perfect coach. My problem is they keep making them prettier and with more cool gadgets I just have to have! LOL! For us its new only and your right, there is a strange fun adventurous feeling about trading up to a nice new coach.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #24
Terry 735001 Thanks for the gas info. Its this kind of priceless wisdom that keeps me at the drawing board. My wife is probably gonna cave my chest in with all of the Rv info I bombard her with. A few weeks ago I opened my mouth to say something (I totaly forgot what I was gong to say to her) but before started she interupted and said in a stern voice "This isn't more Rv stuff is it"? Well I guess I will end up with a nice dog house to sleep in when I get my rig. Thank you to ALL of you who has given me so much to think about with the great tips.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #25
Winnebago Owners Club
I would recommend don't rush into anything do your research, fine what suits you best and buy the best you can afford .

Good luck,

Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Look, look, and drive

I'm not sure where you are located, but I would find a big dealership and go look at some units in person. Try to imagine yourself in said unit for a week or so, and try to picture where you put things. Is there room for tall cereal boxes? How about canned food? When we bought our first unit, just about 2 years ago, we didn't think about these things, but lucked out. When we started looking for unit number 2, we knew to think about little things, especially storage. We eliminated several units that had no storage or had very little usable storage. Don't forget about your clothes! Some units have very little in the way of drawers. Check out the location of the bed. Is there enough room around it and can you get in and out of it. Just a couple things to think about. I can't recommend seeing them in person enough.

Next suggestion, DRIVE THEM!!!!!!! Gas units on leaf springs drive much differently than diesel pushers on air bags. You need to experience this for yourself and decide which suits your needs. Your use case will help you decide as well, ie. fulltiming vs weekends, etc.

So basically what I'm suggesting is get out and see them in person and when you get them narrowed down, come back and ask about specific units and everyone here will be more than happy to give you their opinions.

Good luck in your search! It's one of my favorite parts of the experience.
2004 Monaco Dynasty Countess III
42 feets of fancy stuff....
SteveB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #27
Have had many trailers and motor homes covering many needs over the years. Many good units and makes.

If you are planning longer drives, mountains, need more storage ... Stay with a DP and tag for the extra room.

And after you have researched them all and driven them don't be surprised if newmar, tiffin or entgra get serious consideration for a host of reasons.

If your wallet can afford it ... DP !
go oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #28
Never would have thought about food storage! THE clothes storage and finding a place for my wife's insane amount of shoes she just has to bring when we travel needs to be taken into consideration too. Thanks Steveb2. Go oil, before I joined this site I landed on the excursion but still look at Tiffin products online.I really do like the Allegro RED.