Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Tuf-e-nuf , RV pocket reference APP , would be a good place to start for you there is plenty of valuable information you can apply .

Good Luck ,

James

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
...by far the most helpful in my decision making process. $150 well spent IMO. It's worth your time to check it out. https://www.rv.org/
Tuf-e-nuf.......
Good luck with it all-- I hope you wind up as happy with your coach as we are with ours! You were unclear on exactly how you plan to use it (fulltime? occasional camping? 1 or 2 long trips per year?) and exactly how many people, but I'll jump in anyway.

First, I agree with Dennis..... X2 on RV Consumer Group. I consistently found their analyses and evaluations spot on. I offer the following based on our research and purchase about two years ago.

Floorplan is important, but its just one factor in your decision. Floorplans can be changed around a little-- but you can't fix poor design or low quality construction.

Type of usage, frequency of usage, amount of travel miles, size, price, etc., all play a part in your decision matrix. If you intend, for example, to live full time in the motorhome and travel constantly, then finding the PERFECT floorplan in a low quality, poorly constructed motorhome would not keep you happy for long.

Size is another issue to ponder. If you buy the smallest unit you think you can all fit into merely to save dollars on the purchase price, you will be quickly dissatisfied. If you think you can get by with a 30 or 32ft, then buy a 36ft. The "too big" fades away quickly, but "too small" lasts forever.

My wife and I are the sole occupants of our 40ft Dutch Star with three slides. We bought 40ft and slides because we knew from the start we would live in this full time, and constantly bumping into each other, or continually having to move A in order to use B would become very irritating in short order. We bought Newmar after we narrowed our search to just 2-3 manufacturers with solid, long-standing reputations for high quality, reliable products.

Now, we all know that high quality costs money. But high quality also lasts a long time. So once we settled on the model we wanted, we simply backed off the model year until we got to an age point where the prices fit our budget. After two years we are thoroughly pleased with our coach, and can easily envision keeping it another ten years.

So check out the RVCG, take the time to learn and do your homework, and keep us posted!

John

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #31

I'll offer my $.02 since we've recently done the same thing you're going through!

I'll STRONGLY echo much of the advice you're already received concerning buying used. I strongly agree that doing so not only allows many of the bugs of new coaches to be worked-out prior to your purchase, but you'll avoid the absolutely horrific depreciation of purchasing new!!! We got our Fleetwood with only 8K miles on it and paid a shocking low price for it. Yes, we got lucky, but there are deals out there if you're willing to spend some time looking and are not in a hurry.

I'll also concur with Fleetwood being a quality brand. We've got friends with other brands that paid more and didn't get the quality of product that we have w/our Fleetwood. That being said, there are many, many other good options and I think the one's you mentioned are as good as any.

Some other advice I'll give is not to limit yourself to a particular size. I think there's some real strong value in deciding on gas v. diesel, pusher v. puller, bunk beds v. fold-outs, etc., but limiting yourself to a specific size is not necessary and you'll probably miss-out on some great deals if you do. We'd originally decided on 'nothing longer than 33 feet' when we started and quickly found that doing so really limited what we wanted when we started actually looking at coaches.

Which brings me to my final point: DON'T TRUST PICTURES! After the extended time we spent looking online, at brochures, and pictures, we discovered that NOTHING beats walking the coach, sitting in the seats, and driving it if you can. You've got to get inside and spend some time imagining if you really could live in that space. We originally thought we could do with small, but quickly decided that we needed bigger; full size refrigerator, pantry space, beds, shower, etc.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #32

Before I joined I was hard core about new only, but lately I have been looking at used units and their prices. It's insane how only a year to a year and 6 months drops prices if depreciation!! The rv pocket refference app, would've never thought about that. I won't be doing full time, the kids are way too young, the oldest is only 11. I so far just have plans on long summer trips, Christmas breaks, Spring breaks and just maybe the once a school year trip we do if all the grades are up where I pull them out of school for 2 days close to a weekend and we do a 4 day get away. I hear good things about gas but better about diesel so thats why I leaned towards a pusher. I haven't settled an exact time but was thinking around December would be a decent time frame. THanks heavily to all information, its keeping parked at the drawing board but I know I will make a much better choice because of it. Thanks much.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Snerd View Post
I'll offer my $.02 since we've recently done the same thing you're going through!

I'll STRONGLY echo much of the advice you're already received concerning buying used. I strongly agree that doing so not only allows many of the bugs of new coaches to be worked-out prior to your purchase, but you'll avoid the absolutely horrific depreciation of purchasing new!!! We got our Fleetwood with only 8K miles on it and paid a shocking low price for it. Yes, we got lucky, but there are deals out there if you're willing to spend some time looking and are not in a hurry.

I'll also concur with Fleetwood being a quality brand. We've got friends with other brands that paid more and didn't get the quality of product that we have w/our Fleetwood. That being said, there are many, many other good options and I think the one's you mentioned are as good as any.

Some other advice I'll give is not to limit yourself to a particular size. I think there's some real strong value in deciding on gas v. diesel, pusher v. puller, bunk beds v. fold-outs, etc., but limiting yourself to a specific size is not necessary and you'll probably miss-out on some great deals if you do. We'd originally decided on 'nothing longer than 33 feet' when we started and quickly found that doing so really limited what we wanted when we started actually looking at coaches.

Which brings me to my final point: DON'T TRUST PICTURES! After the extended time we spent looking online, at brochures, and pictures, we discovered that NOTHING beats walking the coach, sitting in the seats, and driving it if you can. You've got to get inside and spend some time imagining if you really could live in that space. We originally thought we could do with small, but quickly decided that we needed bigger; full size refrigerator, pantry space, beds, shower, etc.

Good luck!!!
X3 on high end used,

X25 that photos are never enough, you gotta get in it and around and look real real good!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyone know of a Droid app similar to RV pocket reference?

Tags