Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #1

Newbie Researching Class A DPs

Really glad my research has landed me to this forum. I am a total rookie, or as its been called, an [moderator edit].! I have been doing plenty of research on the class A dp I feel would be best for my family. My choices were the Tiffin Allegro breeze 28br & 32br, slight interest in the Allegro RED, Thor Palazzo 33.2 & 33.3, and I finally chose the Fleetwood Excursion 33A or 33D. Not too sure which of the 2 just yet. I like the dual slides on the 33, but not really a fan of the shower and bathroom being seperate. The dinette on the 33A is better than the33. If anyone has any extra information on the Excursion I am all ears and eyes and will be extremely greatful!
Tuf-e-nuf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

2nd part.

Sorry for the 2 back to backs, I didn't want my first post to be book long.My research has also landed me on oh so many sites full of major complaints on just about every RV model! So much were the horror stories about the problems with rigs and complaints of the pure crap people had to go through to get things fixed, and then there were the stories of folks who were not able to get anything at all acomplished with repairs that I decided that the RV thing is not worth it.After a few weeks I am once again ready to look. So many run arounds people got and just left in limbo, or there's the "It's been 3 months and my rig is still in the shop with no word from anyone on when it will be done". Please forgive my rookiness, and I do apologize to the seasoned Rv-ers this sounds off too, but I am trying to come to settle my mind on If you pay over $100,000 on anything that problems are just the norm, just the way it is. Just seems to me a rookie that there would be more time and money spent on research to make a much more sound, long lasting product with problems manifesting in longer more stretched out time frames.Anyway, all advice is greatly appreciated and thank you!!!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to iRV2! Good luck with your search. Unfortunately, it seems that most brand-new RVs have some issues that need to be addressed. Speaking from personal experience, our coach had very minor issues and all were taken care of by the dealer relatively quickly. Also, we have had excellent response from Fleetwood Customer Service anytime we have called with questions.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #4

Thank you much Sarah! I have heard fewer night mares about Fleetwood owners having problems getting repairs than owners of other models. That makes me feel better about getting an excursion. I really do like them.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #5

FWIW If you are as you say a complete Newbe, I would advise you not to get new. You really won't know what will work best for you until you have owned and used one for several trips. I can guarantee you that your first coach, new or used, won't be the one you will want 2-3 years later. It costs far less to get your feet wet in a clean pre-owned one. Our first two MHs were used. Could have paid cash for a new one, but knew it would have been a costly mistake. We are on our 8th coach now and we think we have finally gotten it right.

Good Luck, and take your time.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #6

I'll second the buying used suggestion. You get so much more bang for your $$$$ and if it's been gently used the owner will have taken care of all of the bugs that it came with. Double win.

I would also suggest that you rent a few coaches and take them on trips. I started by renting and then owning (6 different coaches so far). Renting showed me what we liked, what we didn't like, what worked and what didn't without the cost of buying.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:50 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I was buying a Palazzo, about $150K too many issues, then the NewMar Ventana LE about $160K.

Looking at used I was amazed how these take a huge hit in first few years.

Go to Nada RV look at the "low retail" that's the price you want to pay.

you will be shocked what you can buy at $100,000 or less, look at the used Fleetwoods if you like them
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:18 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you want some incite as to how people arrive at their decision of purchase of a motor home this link " Thinking of New Coach" will give you some of that.
They work with a dealer but also have the opportunity to deal with the manufacture themselves.
As someone has said a good use coach would eliminate some of the growing pains of getting the new coach problems eliminated.
Good luck in what ever your decision.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Used May be a good idea? However, if RV enthusiast did not buy new there would be no used products. DW and I have bought used and new. If you want a used coach to meet your "new" expectations be ready to dish out monies for just about all systems. The looks and conditions vary with all people. Some except a product "as is". Some want the latest technology that a new coach offers along with a warranty. Yes there will be issues with new but there will be issues with used! This phrase has been used on IRV2 multiple times and I subscribe to it, "try to buy your last coach first". If this philosophy is followed most likely your needs and wants will be fulfilled. IMO, a well qualified dealer one that has a good reputation, you use due diligence I see from your post, qualified and certified RIVA techs will bring great benefits to your buying experience. JMO, but well thought out.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
FWIW If you are as you say a complete Newbe, I would advise you not to get new. You really won't know what will work best for you until you have owned and used one for several trips. I can guarantee you that your first coach, new or used, won't be the one you will want 2-3 years later. It costs far less to get your feet wet in a clean pre-owned one. Our first two MHs were used. Could have paid cash for a new one, but knew it would have been a costly mistake. We are on our 8th coach now and we think we have finally gotten it right.

Good Luck, and take your time.
Crasher is exactly right! If you're a newbie (meaning totally new to camping) it'll be hard to know what type of unit REALLY suits you. SWMBO and I have been RVers for 40+ years, starting with popups (2), but were totally ignorant when we started out. As you spend more and more time in campgrounds, and make friends and talk with owners of various units, you'll gain an appreciation for which features are important to you. I'd suggest joining a camping club, too. You'll make great friends, and they'll help you with problems. etc., and provide good input when you're ready to upgrade!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We were total newbies and for us, new was the only way to go. I didn't want to move into "someone else's problem" to start making repairs and try to figure out if the previous owners had done required maintenance or improper "customization". We wanted new with a warranty. Like Clay said, SOMEONE has to buy new or there won't be any used units to buy.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuf-e-nuf. View Post
Thank you much Sarah! I have heard fewer night mares about Fleetwood owners having problems getting repairs than owners of other models. That makes me feel better about getting an excursion. I really do like them.
You are quite welcome! I hope you found the Fleetwood Owner's Section of the forum where there is lots of good information. Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums There are also sections for the other manufacturers, so if you have time, check them out to see what actual owners have to say! Good luck with your search.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuf-e-nuf. View Post
Really glad my research has landed me to this forum. I am a total rookie, or as its been called, an [moderator edit].! I have been doing plenty of research on the class A dp I feel would be best for my family. My choices were the Tiffin Allegro breeze 28br & 32br, slight interest in the Allegro RED, Thor Palazzo 33.2 & 33.3, and I finally chose the Fleetwood Excursion 33A or 33D. Not too sure which of the 2 just yet. I like the dual slides on the 33, but not really a fan of the shower and bathroom being seperate. The dinette on the 33A is better than the33. If anyone has any extra information on the Excursion I am all ears and eyes and will be extremely greatful!
I was in the same situation a few years back trying to decide on which class A, if any, to buy. I came across this site and in the end it was by far the most helpful in my decision making process. $150 well spent IMO.
It's worth your time to check it out.

https://www.rv.org/
Old 01-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If its in you budget, buy new. Just make sure you get the floor plan and features that will serve you for years to come. Make the intent to buy your last coach first. If you are just Camping or traveling several times a year, entry level coaches or a step above, should do fine. You might just consider a gas coach.
If you are Snow birding, or full timing. Get the best quality coach you can afford.

I did the RV.org solution, and was able to make a wise choice.

I also bought a 12 year old MH, spent over a year and 12000 in bringing it up to what I wanted to live in. My total investment was 1/4 of what I would've spent on a so ilar new one, but I would've bought new if I thought I could afford it.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags