Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Newbie Sewer Questions

I have asked several different RVers and I get completely different answers.

When you have full sewer hook up do you:
Leave the black tank valve open?
Leave both black and grey open?
Keep black closed and drain as needed?
Keep black and grey closed and drain as needed?

Seems simple....

Thx,
Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
The quick answer is to ONLY open the black tank valve to empty the contents of the tank. After emptying the tank you close the black tank valve and dump several toilets full ( 5 gal. ? ) of fresh water into the black tank and add your chemicals. I use "Happy Camper." The gray tank valve can stay open until a day or two before you plan to decamp, then close the grey tank valve, let the tank fill up with shower and sink water, then dump the gray tank last to rinse out your stinky slinky.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

This comes up all the time and you'll get various answers. I would say that most will tell you to leave the black tank closed until you need to empty it, and never leave it open. Leaving it open will create a lot of problems for you or future owner.

Regards to grey, I tend to leave closed until I need to empty for the same reasons as black although the consequences are less. Folks with dish washers, clothes washers may have a larger need to leave it open.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Here's my opinion.

With full hookups, keep your black tank valve closed. Monitor the level and dump when needed or just before you leave the campground. That way you'll have lots of room when on the road.

The reason not to leave the black tank open with full hookups is you can have the pyramid effect happen in the tank. This is where the solids can build up in a pyramid fashion and stay there. This happens because the liquid drains away before the solids can go along for the ride.

With your black tank containing both liquid and solids, it'll all goes down the drain when you open the valve to dump it.

On the gray tank, I generally will leave that valve open as you use much more gray water than black so let it go. The night before leaving the camp ground I will close off the gray tank to collect water. That water is used to flush out your sewer line after you dump and rinse your black tank.

Hope this makes sense and helps you decide how to do your valves.

Here's a link to the RV Geeks about water and sewer videos they've produced over the years. They have some really good info.
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
I have asked several different RVers and I get completely different answers.

When you have full sewer hook up do you:
Leave the black tank valve open?
Leave both black and grey open?
Keep black closed and drain as needed?
Keep black and grey closed and drain as needed?
Seems simple....
Thx,
Steve
StevL
When I have a sewer hookup I keep both the black and grey dump valves closed and dump the tanks either:
1.) When they are between 1/2 full and full.
2.) Before hitting the road.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keeping your black tank valve open will generally create something like this...
Old 05-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
StevL
When I have a sewer hookup I keep both the black and grey dump valves closed and dump the tanks either:
Mel
'96 Safari
I agree with Mel. I would add that if you have a full HU site this is an ideal time to really rinse out/flush your black tank.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
The quick answer is to ONLY open the black tank valve to empty the contents of the tank. After emptying the tank you close the black tank valve and dump several toilets full ( 5 gal. ? ) of fresh water into the black tank and add your chemicals. I use "Happy Camper." The gray tank valve can stay open until a day or two before you plan to decamp, then close the grey tank valve, let the tank fill up with shower and sink water, then dump the gray tank last to rinse out your stinky slinky.
Bob
Nicely explained. Agree w/this process.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
StevL
Mel
'96 Safari
I do it this way too. Also this does not let the stink from the sewer come up into your line along with who knows what else may be in there.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #10

KEEP BOTH valves CLOSED, until 1/2 or so full/ more/less on Black tank in warm weather, Use LOTS of water in Black tank, pull those levers and whoosh away: as needed., then close, treat black tank with chem, n start over. I like to pull Grey lever, once every couple days: or more if hitting showers/washer harder.
****Reason for keeping grey tank closed, too is to keep methane (sewer) gases from back-washing into RV....
Jimm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #11

I pretty much agree with keeping the black valve closed and the grey open until close to departure to use it to flush both the black tank (open the grey valve briefly once the black is drained without closing the black valve). I suggest putting a clear fitting on the drain so you can actually see what is going on. Not the most pleasant sight, but is helpful to know when the black tank is really getting clean. I followed an RV Geeks video on flushing their black tank and recovered full use of the sensors after several complete flushes. They have some really good advice.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
Bob

Best way to do it. Closing the grey tank, especially if you use a washing machine, is an invitation to have an overflow. Your sinks P traps will keep sewer odors out. This is the way I've been doing it for years. Happy Camper is excellent additive.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When arriving at CG, leave black tank valve closed and grey tank valve open.,

Watch the black tank level and when it is about 3/4 full, OR if you're getting ready to leave the next day, close the grey tank valve to accumulate some water.

Before departing next day, dump the black tank, flush it out good with a hose flusher or by refilling it part way and dumping several times until the water is clear. You should have a clear fitting for your sewer outlet!

Close the black tank valve, add a couple of gallons of water in the tank, and put in tank treatment chemical. We use Happy Camper!

Dump the grey tank, cleaning the sewer hose in the process! Close the grey tank valve.

Job finished!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I do it this way too. Also this does not let the stink from the sewer come up into your line along with who knows what else may be in there.
I agree, both closed until at least 3/4 full. In addition to sewer smell with the grey tank open, there can be sewer flies also.
other option for the grey tank is to create a trap in the hose which will prevent anything from the sewer coming back to the tank.

Tags