Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #1

Newbie tire question

They want $575 per tire plus $120 per tire to mount and balance. CW wont put ... I know this has probably been answered, but can I safely replace the Michelin 235R8022.5 with a Toyo 255R70-225, M122. They cost $300 per tire. Thank you. 2007 Damon Outlaw.
ScottnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
yes absolutely. $120 is robbery. A shop with a machine can do it for $30.
Or even a roadside guy can change them with hand tools.

Toyo is a good tire and BETTER than the garbage michelins! Make sure you get the longer valve stems!
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #3

That is what I did the tire size 235R8022.5 I believe you can only get in michelin so I changed and bought 245/75R22.5 M154 toyo tires. The circumference of the tires were very close and the speedometer was only about 1 mile different.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As long as the new tire has the same or higher capacity without being too oversize and "kissing" on the rear without requiring more pressure than the wheel can take it should be OK.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is going to be slightly smaller in diameter making more RPM/mile and the width is wider. Make sure your dealer will take them off if you run into clearance problems. https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Oh, avoid Camping World. Your RV and your wallet will thank you.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #6

I have a set of Toyo M154’s going on tomorrow along with new valve stems (Dually Stems by Borg) and Centramatic balancers.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #7

Another Newbie question, I am buying tires next week for a new-to-me Class A. How do you check the inside rear tire pressure?
I asked about an extension, the answer was that extenders frequently cause air leaks and not recommended.
Do you crawl under the coach to check the air pressure?
Thank you.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #8

Jerrilynn; Inner dual is accessed for pressure check and adding air with a special gauge and air chuck .

The shop is correct about extensions causing leaks , B-in-L when through 3 different brands of extensions before he gave up on them . Takes a little more time and you have to get your hands dirty ; but knowing the tires aren't loosing air is worth it. JMHO, of course.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Jerrilynn; Inner dual is accessed for pressure check and adding air with a special gauge and air chuck .

The shop is correct about extensions causing leaks , B-in-L when through 3 different brands of extensions before he gave up on them . Takes a little more time and you have to get your hands dirty ; but knowing the tires aren't loosing air is worth it. JMHO, of course.

Thank you for your reply. Where did you purchase the special gauge and air chuck?
Thanks
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrilynn View Post
Another Newbie question, I am buying tires next week for a new-to-me Class A. How do you check the inside rear tire pressure?
I asked about an extension, the answer was that extenders frequently cause air leaks and not recommended.
Do you crawl under the coach to check the air pressure?
Thank you.
For whatever it's worth, I've had extensions on my inside dual's now for 18 years without any air leaks.

I would recommend steel braided extensions.

Good luck and safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Where did you purchase the special gauge and air chuck?
Thanks
Canadian Tire , Princess Auto if you're in Canada . Harbor Freight in USA.

Do a Google search for " truck tire gauge " and / or " truck tire inflator " you'll find there's a lot to look at .
Old 04-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

Not sure what type youre using but mine dont leak at all. They attach to the valve stems and are airtight.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #13
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks
You want a dual-foot tire gage that will handle the maximum pressure of your tires. One that goes to 150 pounds will be fine. Any decent auto parts store will have several to choose from.

If your tires are mounted correctly and with the proper valve stems you will not have any problems.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #14

Just paid $750 for a Michelin tag tire w/ balance beads and a couple replacement chrome caps while on a trip two weeks ago. Didn't have much choice at 8pm to 3AM when it was done. Just glad they had one.

Tags