RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #1

Newbie to Class A travel

I just purchased an '02 Holiday Rambler for future travel this winter. Silly question maybe, but I'm not sure how to plan a trip or even how to choose a destination. Should I reserve a campsite now, or wait til later? I am sick of WI winters and am heading south. We have travelled every part of the USA, but never in an RV. Any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

holz6688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #2

You'll have to pick where you want to go. In our travels over the last 25 years I have rarely made a reservation more than one day ahead of our arrival. We do not like a schedule. We'll stop when we feel the need. Only three times in 25 years we had to overnight in a Walmart or Truckstop due to no space in a campground. As far as a reservation at your destination, you should probably make that no later than 3-4 months before arrival depending on where you go. We have a home where we spend the winters, so none needed. Don't get caught up in trying to plan everything. Just be flexible and go with the flow. It will make for a more relaxed winter.

Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
welcome aboard and good luck with your new to you coach my suggestion would be pick a spot where your going to snowbird and call them to ask how far out they suggest you make your reservations in the meanwhile just do some shorter trips getting to know your rv and work out all the kinks hopefully not to many but most of all safe travels enjoy and GOD BLESS THE USA
roadking1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:58 PM   #4

The sooner you make reservations, the more options you will have. We made reservations for the month of March next year in February of this year. With snowbird locations things fill up quick. Good luck and enjoy the journey!
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #5

If you plan to stay near tourist or high traffic locations then you will need to make reservations well in advance. Non tourist locations not so much. Also plan ahead for holidays. A lot of locations get booked early during those times. State and National Parks tend to fill quickly for 2 reasons, they are typically less expensive and most (not all) are nice camp areas. A lot of independent RV parks are merely parking lots. We only like to relocate Monday thru Thursday if possible. Finding a place to stop over the weekend can be a hassle. The weekend RVers have a lot of sites booked. We have about 6 or 7 apps we use to plan and search locations. If you would like the list of apps we use you can PM me I will send them to you.

Keep your on road time down and don’t arrive at your site late in the evening. It takes time to get checked in and get parked and set up. Never will I do that in the dark again. We plan to be at our site by 4pm. Gives you time to get settled in with no rush. Overnight at Walmart or similar we will pull in the evening since not doing anything but parking.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are going to Florida or Arizona in the winter you best make some reservations now.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #7

Newbie to Class A travel

As I read replies, the answers are varied. Each answer fits the personality of person who wrote it. Much does depend on you, how flexible you are or By Golly I Want That One Campsite in That One Campground!
Some examples-
In Destin, FL there is one campground offering campsites on the Gulf of Mexico. And, they offer three month winter discounts. So, If you want Camp Gulf and you want one of their beachfront sites (they are rather groovy), you had better call now.
But, if you could be happy at Ho Hum in Carrabelle on the backwaters of the bay and you don't necessarily need bay water front, you could just show up. Ho Hum is way cheaper than most and the Forgotten Coast is a wonderful throw back to untamed Florida before the Condo Commandos.
Lastly, if you want to stay in one of Florida's beach coast State Parks, yes- book now. I've tried spur of the moment booking for years with no luck.
But, do try to travel relaxed and flexible. Slow key. Don't miss the beautiful, serendipity moments of life.
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:13 AM   #8

The thing you need to understand about Snow Bird migration, is they tend to go as far south as possible, then pile up and take every available RV site, sometimes booking them up a year or more in advance.

This means the south half of Florida, the southern tip of Texas in the Rio Grande Valley, and the southern 1/3 of Arizona.

If you don't mine being a little further north in places where the temperatures generally remain pleasant the majority of the winter with typical daily highs in the 50's or even 60's and lows dropping into the 30-40's most nights only rarely dropping below freezing a few nights per year then finding a place to spend the winter or just a few days, or weeks, is relatively easy, sure some of the better deal locations may fill up, but others that are either slightly less nice, or slightly more expensive will have ample vacancies. This includes the upper Texas coast, and for that matter basically anything south of I-10 from Houston TX to Jacksonville, FL.

p.s. to give an example of this, I live in western Louisiana, and there is a state park we like to camp out at for the occasional weekend in the winter in southern Lousiana near Abbeville , in the warmest part of the state just a few miles inland from the gulf (it was 82 degrees there on the first weekend of Feb this year). On Thanksgiving day last year I checked their availability calendar and found that at least 1/3 (often 3/4) of the RV sites were available every day between Thanksgiving in November, and Mardi Gras weekend which fell at the first of March this year
Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good information to share. You have been given lots of good info. We tend not to make advance reservations but we are "moving all the time" and rarely stay at one campground longer then 10=14 days. IF you are planing on staying for a month or more and are looking at "snowbird" areas then the earlier you make the reservation the better.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The thing you need to understand about Snow Bird migration, is they tend to go as far south as possible, then pile up and take every available RV site, sometimes booking them up a year or more in advance.

This means the south half of Florida, the southern tip of Texas in the Rio Grande Valley, and the southern 1/3 of Arizona.

If you don't mine being a little further north in places where the temperatures generally remain pleasant the majority of the winter with typical daily highs in the 50's or even 60's and lows dropping into the 30-40's most nights only rarely dropping below freezing a few nights per year then finding a place to spend the winter or just a few days, or weeks, is relatively easy, sure some of the better deal locations may fill up, but others that are either slightly less nice, or slightly more expensive will have ample vacancies. This includes the upper Texas coast, and for that matter basically anything south of I-10 from Houston TX to Jacksonville, FL.

p.s. to give an example of this, I live in western Louisiana, and there is a state park we like to camp out at for the occasional weekend in the winter in southern Lousiana near Abbeville , in the warmest part of the state just a few miles inland from the gulf (it was 82 degrees there on the first weekend of Feb this year). On Thanksgiving day last year I checked their availability calendar and found that at least 1/3 (often 3/4) of the RV sites were available every day between Thanksgiving in November, and Mardi Gras weekend which fell at the first of March this year
What he said.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #11

Howdy from Floridians
As others mentioned if you want to stay in Florida, south of Ocala try and start booking now. We are mostly unable to camp during the winter in Central and South Florida due to snowbird season. If you don't mind a little cold and snow central Georgia and south has many great campgrounds and state parks.
The length of time also will need to be factored in.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #12

The further south you come the more need for a reservation well in advance.

Cant speak to other states but camping in FLorida State Parks will require reservations well in advance also (and they are kind of tough to get)

Some people are planners / some prefer flying by the seat of their pants but if you plan on staying in one place for a month or more I don't think you'll be able to come in off the street and secure that during winter in the south - so that means reserve and reserve early!

JMHO
Oldmso54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new HR! Depending on where you are going and the time of year you may want to make reservations ahead! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, newbie, travel