Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #57

Are these the buttons (circled in RED) referred to above?

Removed the green board and this was behind

how to take screenshots

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
That's progress.

Can you tell me the make and model of your converter? (PD-91XX, etc)

There is NOT a reset button associated with most converters. You can determine if it is working by measuring the voltage, at the house battery terminals, when the coach is plugged into shore power, and comparing that voltage reading with the reading when the coach is NOT plugged into shore power. If the voltage does not change, then the converter is not working.

Make and model. is this what you mean?

Brand is MagnaTEK

Model series 7400 7455

Old 08-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
The circuit breakers would be inside the box (but not on the circuit board). Probably along the bottom or left hand wall of the box.
Press the little plungers in the base if they are extended.

I hope pressing the TOPS of those disconnect switches has the desired effect. If not, chances are that the Magnetek Converter is the culprit.

Please look at the pic below....is that what you're talking about? Plungers circled in RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMomRTR View Post
Are these the buttons (circled in RED) referred to above?

Removed the green board and this was behind

how to take screenshots
Old 08-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My comment was in regard to the 6 volt battery voltage reading. If your batteries have three filler caps then they are 6 volt.

While reading the posts since my last comment I had a weird recall. When we first got our unit I accidentally turned off a dash switch called auxiliary power. That killed all the twelve volt inside the motorhome. Do you have such a switch; if yes then turn it back on.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #61

Ok....DH is now saying that the coach batteries are dead.
He believed that they were fully charged yesterday.

So, don't know if this is a new wrinkle, or just part of the whole problem.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
My comment was in regard to the 6 volt battery voltage reading. If your batteries have three filler caps then they are 6 volt.

While reading the posts since my last comment I had a weird recall. When we first got our unit I accidentally turned off a dash switch called auxiliary power. That killed all the twelve volt inside the motorhome. Do you have such a switch; if yes then turn it back on.

Here are the buttons on the dash

image hosting no registration
Old 08-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Don't look like you got a similar switch.
No idea what lse to suggest but I would try to find a wiring schematic and follow that.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #64

As an aside....not related to troubles....what is that radio button for?

image url upload

Not kidding.....DH just went to get his blood-pressure pills refilled. We're stressed-out!!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMomRTR View Post
Ok....DH is now saying that the coach batteries are dead.
He believed that they were fully charged yesterday.

So, don't know if this is a new wrinkle, or just part of the whole problem.

DH strongly believes that the two coach batteries were showing 6v of charge (each) yesterday, so he's shocked that now not only are the both dead, but they aren't recharging by running the RV.

I'm going to open this forum onto DH's tablet so he can read all that has been written himself (rather than thru me).

Thank you all for what you've provided so far. Hopefully, we'll get this solved soon. We're both on edge, as you can imagine.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #66

Both battery switches are in the "up" or connected position.

Both BCC breakers were reset with no impact to help the current problem(s)

The coach batteries have completely discharged from yesterday and won't recharge.

The breakers in the coach are still normal ...none are flipped.

Fuses were checked yesterday and were ok.

The shore power is still powering the microwave (only thing in coach that is on).

I haven't yet tried to directly connect the fridge thru outside because I'm not sure where the access is.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Check the batteres for water, if low use distilled water. The batteries might have read 6v with no load but any load may pull them to 0v. Likely if they are old, over 3-4 years theyvare just dead. Your converter may be bad also. We had our converter die and alk kinds of weirdness ensued like you have going on. You should see 13.5 -14v on the coach batteries when plugged into shore power indicating the convertor is charging the batteries. If you are handy check out Best Converters online to buy a replacement.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
BTW, you can get diagrams and some support from Fleetwood
Old 08-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhbike View Post
Check the batteres for water, if low use distilled water. The batteries might have read 6v with no load but any load may pull them to 0v. Likely if they are old, over 3-4 years theyvare just dead. Your converter may be bad also. We had our converter die and alk kinds of weirdness ensued like you have going on. You should see 13.5 -14v on the coach batteries when plugged into shore power indicating the convertor is charging the batteries. If you are handy check out Best Converters online to buy a replacement.

We do suspect that the coach batteries (pair 6v each) are older and will be replaced.

I think they say "deep cycle" on them. Where is the most economical place to buy these?

And is there a preferable brand?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BamamomRTR, sorry but I had to run off for a few hours to assist with a neighborhood fish fry.

I see there have been several "cooks in the kitchen" trying to help with your problem since I last checked in. I hope you aren't completely confused and discouraged at this point.

My conclusion (guess?) is that your converter is completely dead and has helped drain your batteries as well.

Does your DH have a standalone battery charger by any chance?

If you could place a battery charger on the pair of 6V batteries it could function in place of the converter. You would need to place the charger across the two batteries as if they were one large 12V battery. You also need a live outlet to plug it into.

If the batteries are completely drained, it may be necessary to actually disconnect the short cable between the two six volt batteries to prevent them from overloading the charger.

BTW - That Radio switch is there to power the radio from the house batteries when parked and ON shore power without risking the depletion of the chassis battery. The other position powers the radio from the chassis battery via the ignition switch.

Tags
electrical, newbie, pace arrow, ace