Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 03:02 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
BamamomRTR, sorry but I had to run off for a few hours to assist with a neighborhood fish fry.

I see there have been several "cooks in the kitchen" trying to help with your problem since I last checked in. I hope you aren't completely confused and discouraged at this point.

My conclusion (guess?) is that your converter is completely dead and has helped drain your batteries as well.

Does your DH have a standalone battery charger by any chance?

If you could place a battery charger on the pair of 6V batteries it could function in place of the converter. You would need to place the charger across the two batteries as if they were one large 12V battery. You also need a live outlet to plug it into.

If the batteries are completely drained, it may be necessary to actually disconnect the short cable between the two six volt batteries to prevent them from overloading the charger.

BTW - That Radio switch is there to power the radio from the house batteries when parked and ON shore power without risking the depletion of the chassis battery. The other position powers the radio from the chassis battery via the ignition switch.

Thank you for the radio switch explanation. We thought it was for some old CB radio! Lol

Yes, we're discouraged and upset. We're going to try your suggestion and if that doesn't work, it's going into the RV repair shop (ugh...$$$). So disappointing because it's probably a small fix that is beyond our understanding.

We don't have a portable battery charger but we're getting one. Good thing to have on hand anyway.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #72

Gulf Streamers Club
You said all of your 120v breakers are on. Sometimes they look like they are on but have actually tripped. You need to flip all of them off and then flip all of them back on. That will make sure they are on.

What kind of shore power are you on? Is your coach 30 amp or 50 amp? You say your microwave works so we know coach is getting power to that one circuit. If on 50 amp there are two hot legs. One leg could not be hot and that could be a problem of not powering circuits in your coach.

Open up that access panel outside, at back of refrigerator. You can see the electrical cord coming from back of refrigerator, that will be plugged into outlet. See if that outlet is getting power. If not, then as suggested, use an extension cord to make sure refer is getting 120v power. But as mentioned, your refer needs 12v power to work, whether it is on shore power or propane.

Hang in there, this will be figured out.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
The coach batteries are deeo cycle, the same 6v batteries as golf carts use. Costco is a good place to get them if you have one near.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
What kind of shore power are you on? Is your coach 30 amp or 50 amp? You say your microwave works so we know coach is getting power to that one circuit. If on 50 amp there are two hot legs. One leg could not be hot and that could be a problem of not powering circuits in your coach.
ronspradley
Ron, the '99 Pace is a 30amp coach. Your post makes some valid points.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #75

Thanks to everyone who helped. We've tried everything suggested (we think!).

Today RV is going into the shop. We'll report the results.

You're all awesome!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #76

I had a similar issue, even plugged into shore power, lights would flicker, A/C unit would shut off, then come back on shortly then off again. Refrigerator would do funky things, and at one point wouldn't come in with the propane either. I changed the house batteries because the sides were bulging and low voltage reading. I even replaced the main breaker. I finally traced it to a bad CONVERTER! It's under the fridge in my '97.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #77

We took it to the RV shop but there are SO MANY RVs there for repair that we're told that they won't even look at it until Sept 16th!

DH thinks it's the converter. Can we change that or is that a job for professionals.

All the batteries are new/newish.

Dumb question....

Above the fridge

What does AES Auto mean?

And does "Gas" mean propane or does it mean gasoline thru the generator?

Sorry for the dumb Q's.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenrustie View Post
I had a similar issue, even plugged into shore power, lights would flicker, A/C unit would shut off, then come back on shortly then off again. Refrigerator would do funky things, and at one point wouldn't come in with the propane either. I changed the house batteries because the sides were bulging and low voltage reading. I even replaced the main breaker. I finally traced it to a bad CONVERTER! It's under the fridge in my '97.

DH thinks it's the inverter as well.

Is there a way to tell how old ours is? How much do they cost to replace?

Is there a recommended brand for our size/type RV (99 Pace Arrow 36B)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
You said all of your 120v breakers are on. Sometimes they look like they are on but have actually tripped. You need to flip all of them off and then flip all of them back on. That will make sure they are on.

Open up that access panel outside, at back of refrigerator. You can see the electrical cord coming from back of refrigerator, that will be plugged into outlet. See if that outlet is getting power. If not, then as suggested, use an extension cord to make sure refer is getting 120v power. But as mentioned, your refer needs 12v power to work, whether it is on shore power or propane.

Hang in there, this will be figured out.

ronspradley

Hi,

I missed your post...

DH did turn them all off and turn them back on. Still nothing.

Shore power (when parked at home to an outside house plug with adapter with NOTHING else on that circuit) is 20 amps. We're considering getting an electrician out here and installing an exclusive breaker with 30 amp capability.

The fridge was working on home shore power prior to this problem.

Dumb Q....Before we had the problem, when we plugged into home shore power, the fridge worked. So at that point, it wasn't running on any propane, correct? Or any other power source? Correct?

Right now the RV is at the shop, but we're going to get it out tomorrow (it has an "appointment" to be looked at on Sept 16th!! ). When we get it home, I want to open up that panel you mention to see if directly plugging the fridge in will turn it on.

I think this is the panel we have to open...
https://s6.postimg.org/q0u2hjie9/image.jpg
Old 08-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhbike View Post
The coach batteries are deeo cycle, the same 6v batteries as golf carts use. Costco is a good place to get them if you have one near.
We have 6v batteries that are "in parallel" instead "series"....could this be contributing to problems?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #81

From your original post: "The two coach batteries are showing 6V each of tested with meter." A fully charged 6v battery should show near 6.37volts at rest. At "rest" means there is no power going in or out of the battery and there has not been power in or out for several hours.

Also the 6v batteries should be hooked together in "series", to yield 12volts to the coach. An explanation of this can be found at: RV Electrical

I find the information at this link to be very helpful to most RVers.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMomRTR View Post
We have 6v batteries that are "in parallel" instead "series"....could this be contributing to problems?
That is your problem.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
From your original post: "The two coach batteries are showing 6V each of tested with meter." A fully charged 6v battery should show near 6.37volts at rest. At "rest" means there is no power going in or out of the battery and there has not been power in or out for several hours.

Also the 6v batteries should be hooked together in "series", to yield 12volts to the coach. An explanation of this can be found at: RV Electrical

I find the information at this link to be very helpful to most RVers.

Thank you for your electrical link and comments!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
That is your problem.
So we need to change them to be in "series"?

Ok...

Dumb question....is 6v each strong enough anyway? My brother, who had a Fleetwood Tioga Class C 32' RV mentioned that his were 12v.

Can we put 12v batteries in as replacements? (Is that a really stupid Q...if so, sorry)

Tags
electrical, newbie, pace arrow, ace