Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #1

Unhappy Newbie TROUBLE!! Help! '99 Pace Arrow Vision Coach Electrical ~

Hi,

TOTAL newbie here....I'm going to say some dumb things, so please bare with me. And if you can provide any help, don't be afraid to "talk down to me," because I truly know nothing and won't be insulted. Lol

First trip we took a week ago (for 2 nights) went rather smoothly.

Today, we returned from 2nd trip and we had PROBLEMS...and have no idea how to remedy....

The RV has been parked at home with shore power since we got it 2 weeks ago, with the exception of the two short trips. I ran shore power while at home because I believed (either rightly or wrongly) that that was allowing the fridge to work and coach lights.

First thing we noticed this weekend (shortly after we left home) was that we couldn't get the genny to stay on (Onan). Had no trouble the weekend before. We had full tank of gas.

The lights and fridge was running so we figured that we'd figure out the genny problem when we got to the destination.

When we got to our destination, filled up gas tank again, and tried genny again. It would start, stay on for a few minutes, and then turn off.

Then the coach interior lights started dimming, so I turned them off, and then we lost coach power. Fridge off, too.

We called Allstate roadside assistance for RVs and someone came but he didn't know a lot and he tried to get the genny running...he had the same problems...start and then stop. Allstate guy suggested that the genny's carburetor is dirty.

then, later, we asked someone to jump the generator to get it working (because at this point, the genny was no longer even starting for a short time. Not starting at all. Suddenly the fridge started working. (I think, but I'm not sure, that the fridge started running on propane...not sure if that's true or what triggered that if that's true).

Then, we started feeling HEAT coming from the coach floor vents even tho neither of the coach temp controls were on (both front and back were set to OFF...and we checked and rechecked and rechecked to make sure).

In desperation to stop the heat from coming thru the floor vents, my DH went to the propane tank and turned off the valve. The fridge stopped working. And, soon the heat stopped from coming from the floor vents in the coach.

We also don't understand why, when running/driving the RV's v10 ford engine, the coach batteries' power wasn't getting to the coach portion of the RV?

Once we got home, I asked DH to turn the propane tank back on so the fridge would run. He did, but the fridge did not come back on.

I plugged into home shore power and the fridge still hasn't come back on.

The two coach batteries are showing 6V each of tested with meter.

Is this a fuse thing? Where is the fuse?

AND.....why isn't the fridge running with shore power?

BTW....when I plugged into shore power, the ONLY thing that seems to have power in the coach is the microwave...and it will heat food if used. The microwave would NOT turn on and did NOT have power during the trip. It only showed power again once we got home and plugged into shore home power.

Just thought of something...the fridge and the washer/dryer are on the same fuse, I think.

HELP....and please use words that I can understand. Lol

TIA!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #2

Hey Neighbor,
You are correct that when you were plugged into shore power it did allow the refrigerator to run on electric unless you had it set for only propane. Three ways to run your fridge are plugged into shore power, propane, or run the generator. I'm assuming you have a Dometic Fridge, and there should be a switch on it that says Auto/Gas. If you have it on 'Gas' it is only going to run on propane regardless if you are plugged into shore power, or have the generator running, However, if you have it on 'Auto' it will run on electric as long as electric is available, and when you disconnect from shore power and are not running the generator it will start using propane. If you are unsure if it is running on propane go outside and remove the vented cover behind the fridge and listen. You should be able to hear it running on propane. Sometimes it can take 3 or 4 tries of turning it on and off for the flame to light off and run. At least that is my experience. Make sure the switch on the front of the Fridge is in 'Auto', and of course that the other button is in the 'On' setting, and it should run on electric. If it doesn't then maybe you have a GFCI tripped tripped that feeds the outlet your fridge is plugged into.

I have no idea why you would have heat coming out of your vents. My only thought would be a faulty thermostat turning on your heater??? When we turn our heater on you can hear the forced hot air coming out of the vents, was it coming out the same as if you had your heater turned 'On'? There are many on here much smarter then I am who may have some better idea.

Our generator (same as yours) hadn't been used in awhile (it has less then 150 hours on it), and this year it was running very rough and I thought it was a carb issue, but what I did instead because I didn't want to mess with the carb if I didn't have to was go to Napa auto and get a new fuel filter and put that on, and I also added a fuel additive to the gas tank when I filled it up and surprisingly enough the generator started running like a champ after I did those two things. Might be worth a try.

Lastly, you can disconnect and connect your coach batteries with a switch located above the main door if yours is like mine. We disconnect the batteries when we are not using the motorhome, and if you have the 'Vision' model I believe you have a solar power trickle charger on the roof. Look at your forward Air Conditioner vent on the ceiling and see if you have a little red light that says something like 'Solar Charge' or something like that. It should keep your batteries charged. At least that is my understanding, and that's what ours has on it and our batteries always seem to stay charged because of that.

We're kind of newbies too. We had a TT for over 10 years, and just got our motorhome earlier this year. It's definitely been a steep learning curve, but the Pace Arrow Vision is a great unit for an older gas model. We love ours!

Hope you don't feel talked down to at all and hope I said at least something that might have helped

Kirk

Old 08-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #3

Thank you so much!

Quote:
You are correct that when you were plugged into shore power it did allow the refrigerator to run on electric unless you had it set for only propane. Three ways to run your fridge are plugged into shore power, propane, or run the generator. I'm assuming you have a Dometic Fridge, and there should be a switch on it that says Auto/Gas.

I know the controls that you're talking about, but I can't get anything to light up... So the switch isn't changing from one to the other. No power, no lights, no indication of auto/gas...but I know where those are.

Quote:

If you have it on 'Gas' it is only going to run on propane regardless if you are plugged into shore power, or have the generator running, However, if you have it on 'Auto' it will run on electric as long as electric is available, and when you disconnect from shore power and are not running the generator it will start using propane. If you are unsure if it is running on propane go outside and remove the vented cover behind the fridge and listen. You should be able to hear it running on propane. Sometimes it can take 3 or 4 tries of turning it on and off for the flame to light off and run. At least that is my experience.

I will try the "3 - 4 tries". Was too scared to keep trying.

Quote:

Make sure the switch on the front of the Fridge is in 'Auto', and of course that the other button is in the 'On' setting, and it should run on electric. If it doesn't then maybe you have a GFCI tripped tripped that feeds the outlet your fridge is plugged into.

Since no lights are showing, it won't switch from one to their other.

The GFI switch that I see is on the backside of the sink area .... That seems to have no power either since nothing happens when I push test or reset.

There is a light below the fridge showing gas on.....don't know what that does/shows...is that propane gas or gasoline?
Old 08-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #4

Here are some pics

See...no lights...so nothing to switch.

There is a light here....and I've tried to "on/off" to reset.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello,
One thing to check possibly......are you sure the oil level in your generator is OK? These generators will not run if low on oil. It's a built in safety feature.

Also, your generator typically runs off your main gas tank, it won't run if your gas tank dips below 1/4 tank.
Best regards,
W.D.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

We did first suspect low oil, and we did check that....and it was a little bit low, and DH added oil....but no improvement.

Yes, we know about the 1/4 gas issue. We keep gas tank above 1/2 always.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #7

Are any of the outlets in your motorhome working when you're plugged into shore power? If not, did you make sure that the outlet you have your shore power plugged into is providing electricity, and not tripped? It seems obvious, but we've had that happen.

1998 Fleetwood: Pace Arrow Vision 36B (Chevy 454)
Old 08-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #8

Oh, and the light showing 'gas' on the refrigerator is the indicator for Propane.

And the on switch shows green when on, red when off. If no lights then you have no electric at all getting to it.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #9
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMomRTR View Post
We did first suspect low oil, and we did check that....and it was a little bit low, and DH added oil....but no improvement.

Yes, we know about the 1/4 gas issue. We keep gas tank above 1/2 always.
OK, that's scratched off the list then. One other thing, (just covering all variables, not to insult you).... I assume you are following recommended priming procedure for the generator, and not over priming it as well?

We'll get ya going sooner or later.

Regards,
W.D.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you so much!

I know the controls that you're talking about, but I can't get anything to light up... So the switch isn't changing from one to the other. No power, no lights, no indication of auto/gas...but I know where those are.

I will try the "3 - 4 tries". Was too scared to keep trying.
Ok...I'm going outside to try "3-4 tries". When I tried this before, I hear a clicking which I'm assuming is the electronic ignition trying to light. Are you saying that I should try this 3-4 times?

Quote:

Since no lights are showing, it won't switch from one to their other.

The GFI switch that I see is on the backside of the sink area .... That seems to have no power either since nothing happens when I push test or reset.

There is a light below the fridge showing gas on.....don't know what that does/shows...is that propane gas or gasoline?
Quote:
Here are some pics

See...no lights...so nothing to switch.

There is a light here....and I've tried to "on/off" to reset.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #11

Ok. I just went and looked at mine and the gas light is orange when I turn it on with gas, and the 'ac' light will come on green if I plug into shore power and am using electric to run the fridge. You have to connect your batteries with those switches above the door to get anything to come on though and for the igniter to work to start the fridge with propane.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:18 PM   #12

One more thing. Under your refrigerator should be a panel. Open it up and you will see circuit breakers. Make sure none of them are tripped.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #13

Yes, try it multiple times. If you are hearing a clicking sound that is the igniter trying to light the pilot. And the green gas light you are referring to is for the LP (Liquid Propane) Detecter.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #14

I went outside and tried the on/off reset switch under the Dometic fridge 4 times. Each time I heard clicking, and the light on THAT panel blinks....but the panel ABOVE the fridge is NOT showing any lights.

I strongly believe that this entire issue has an easy fix, but we're just too dumb to know what it is.

We obviously made some stupid mistake which caused the genny not to "stay on"....and then that dominoed into all these failures of no power in the coach anywhere....except the microwave that is on because of shore power. Nothing else in the coach will turn on...no lights, no fridge, nothing...even with home shore power.

I really need a solution because we are really upset. H spent the last two days in the hot sun trying whatever he could....to no avail. We're googling, we're asking the very few people we know with RVs, etc. The dealer we bought this from is 3 hours away, so we don't want to drive the RV there ...especially if it's really just an easy answer that we're too dumb to know.

Edit to add.....YES...there is propane in the propane tank...almost half full.

Tags
electrical, newbie, pace arrow, ace