Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #1

Newbie trying to make decision on DP coach

Hello everyone first and foremost what a great community here. Here’s my dilemma, I have never camped or let alone been in an RV. I have been doing homework and research as well as attending RV shows for the last 2 years. I was strongly considering renting a DP before pulling the trigger on a 36 foot Newman DP. My question is what company would you rent from and or would you just pull trigger and learn as you go. I’m ready and feeling brave to start this experience. Suggestions ?

Thank you!
legarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
where are you located?

I would recommend that you attend some RV shows, rallies, and/or factory tours. The Newmar factory tour is free and very educational. Talk to owners/drivers. You can also visit dealerships - if you tell us where you're at, we can tell you the best places to visit nearby.

There are rentals by owner that might be even better than by the companies. Look at "rent my rv"

If you do go to buy, if it's a new Newmar you can customize it if ordered. Also consider Escapees boot camp and RV driving school.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #3

Newbie trying to make decision on DP coach

Thank you for the advice i should of mentioned I’m going to buy used first. I live in Chicago so Midwest is my first points of travel.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh you need to take a day or two and go to Nappanee and Elkhart Indiana. RV tours and Amish country :-).
Old 09-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Oh you need to take a day or two and go to Nappanee and Elkhart Indiana. RV tours and Amish country :-).

Would you recommend renting first ?
Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Since you've never done any sort of camping before, renting first would be a good idea. UNLESS you get a 'steal' on an RV and you're SURE you could get all or most of your money back on a re-sale should you not like camping. (that would be a hard thing to be sure of, I'd think)

My wife and I were boaters before we were RVrs, and those two pastimes have much in common. And we had rented an RV 20-some years before and knew we'd enjoyed that. So we felt fairly comfortable buying a relatively inexpensive RV. If we'd hated it, we would probably only have been 'out' a few thousand dollars - about the same cost as renting.
To some degree this answer also depends on how expensive of an RV you're thinking of buying - more spent equals more potential loss (not counting whatever money you might put into it for maintenance and repairs).
Old 09-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #7

Great point! Thank you
Old 09-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Renting would be great if the budget will allow it. DP rental can be really expensive! Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by legarcia View Post
Would you recommend renting first ?
You definitely don't need to rent before you visit Nappanee & Elkhart. Just google which manufacturers have factory tours. On the Newmar tour, you will see them being built and you can go inside of some newly built rigs.

You should also be able to talk to others in the tour: usually at least some of them will be Newmar owners and/or others thinking of buying one.

Another good trip, with planning/appointment, would be to go to Grand Rapids to look through the rigs that Midway has in stock. New and used. I would recommend Chad as a salesman, and he would take you for a ride in an in-stock MH and also keep an eye out for a trade-in of the model you prefer.

But yes, then maybe do your rental. What models are you considering?
Old 09-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like there will be plenty of class A rigs for you to try:
https://rvshare.com/c/Class%20A%20Mo...h=&max_length=

https://www.outdoorsy.co/rv-search/c...e=drive&type=a
Old 09-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We did not rent before we bought the coach we did. I knew I wanted a gas unit and did some looking and talking and reading. I got very lucky and found a great Newmar coach with very low mileage and extremely clean. It was ten years old so we got it at a reasonable price from a local dealer. My thought was that if we buy an older used rig and use it a year or two one of two things will happen. If its not for us and we don't enjoy it, then I can sell it and I'm not hurt too bad. On the other hand, if we enjoy it and have a good time, then we can always trade up to a newer unit. As its working out, we like the one we have and will probably have it another year or two unless some great deal jumps out at me.

I agree that you should do a lot of looking and pay attention to the details.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:19 PM   #12

Quote:
You definitely don't need to rent before you visit Nappanee & Elkhart. Just google which manufacturers have factory tours. On the Newmar tour, you will see them being built and you can go inside of some newly built rigs.

You should also be able to talk to others in the tour: usually at least some of them will be Newmar owners and/or others thinking of buying one.

Another good trip, with planning/appointment, would be to go to Grand Rapids to look through the rigs that Midway has in stock. New and used. I would recommend Chad as a salesman, and he would take you for a ride in an in-stock MH and also keep an eye out for a trade-in of the model you prefer.

But yes, then maybe do your rental. What models are you considering?

Tiffin Allegro Red ir a Newman Ventana I don’t want anything over 36’
Old 09-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
We did not rent before we bought the coach we did. I knew I wanted a gas unit and did some looking and talking and reading. I got very lucky and found a great Newmar coach with very low mileage and extremely clean. It was ten years old so we got it at a reasonable price from a local dealer. My thought was that if we buy an older used rig and use it a year or two one of two things will happen. If its not for us and we don't enjoy it, then I can sell it and I'm not hurt too bad. On the other hand, if we enjoy it and have a good time, then we can always trade up to a newer unit. As its working out, we like the one we have and will probably have it another year or two unless some great deal jumps out at me.

I agree that you should do a lot of looking and pay attention to the details.
jt

Great advice thank you.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #14

Quote:
where are you located?

I would recommend that you attend some RV shows, rallies, and/or factory tours. The Newmar factory tour is free and very educational. Talk to owners/drivers. You can also visit dealerships - if you tell us where you're at, we can tell you the best places to visit nearby.

There are rentals by owner that might be even better than by the companies. Look at "rent my rv"

If you do go to buy, if it's a new Newmar you can customize it if ordered. Also consider Escapees boot camp and RV driving school.

Hi there I’m in Chicago. I would welcome any info you could provide.

Tags