Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #1

Newbie with a few quick ??'s . Thor

hi all! just retired and bought a 2006 thor hurricane to travel with my wife and 2 young children - ages 2 and 7.

i have been lurking on this site for months and learning alot. thank you to all members who have educated, informed and amused me thus far.

i came from a carver motoryacht, and surprisingly, a lot of the systems are the same. thankfully actually, i don't feel so lost .

couple of quickies if someone has the time to answer.

1- when i leave it plugged into my house all night , coach battery still remains uncharged. i have tried overnight with battery disconnect on, and overnight with battery disconnect off. both ways it wont charge the battery. ac runs fine.

2. why are there 2 thermostats in the rv - 1 in the main cabin and one in the bedroom , when there is only 1 ac unit on the roof? the bedroom thermostat seems to do nothing. and there was never a 2nd unit mounted on the rv.

3. i was thinking about getting a eu2000i honda genny to hook up to the rv for quieter operation at campsites. only need ac. and my old eu2000i powered a house ac in my cabin. so i was going to plug one up to my main rv plug. and just run the ac. - any thoughts on this? the one in the rv is loud and i want to be a good neighbor.

4. which camping club is worth a darn? and we like our privacy and don't want to pay $50 /night to park. so while walmart is an option, regular open land boondocking would be better, is the iphone boondock app accurate and worth getting?

5. most rv electrical plugs have 2 blades and a round peg, mine has a marine shore power plug with 3 blades. is this normal?

6. flat screen is new , i have a crank up antenna that i dont want to mess with, thinking about getting a rayzor , suction cup to a window - flat antenna and just bypassing the old crankk unit. - possible?

so far, i have mounted a flat screen, installed a fake tile backsplash for the kitchen, swapped out the bulbs for led. and made a cover to go over the stairs when parked. cleaned it .
i have bought tpms monitors and its going to the shop tomorrow to have oil changed, genny service etc. etc.

i plan to change the camera and monitor to a newer unit. and getting some extra cords and adaptors and maybe a portable genny. anybody else have any good mods for a newly retired guy ? thanks , ali

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #2

What model Hurricane? If you need it, Thor has downloadable manuals.

Two thermostats: Mine has two also with one AC. The second indicates your MH is prewired for a second one. The vent over the bed is most likely wired and there may be a blank electrical cover next to it. Mine has one.

Plug: You have the same plug as I do and it is a very common plug. More commonly used in marine applications but also used on some RV's.

Antenna: I would stick with the existing antenna as it is most likely a Winegard Batwing which is still one of the best if not the best you can buy. You want it on top of your RV to receive the best reception. They make an add-on product for the Batwing called the Wingman which will further improve reception. Over the air TV is hit or miss depending on where you are parked.

I have no experience with the small generator.

The coach battery disconnect switch must be in the on (connect) position for it to be charged. Have you had the battery tested? Have you tested the charger to make sure it is putting out juice to the battery?

Welcome and good luck...

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

thanks for the quick reply wildtoad!

mine is the same as yours ! a 30q. i had considered a slideout model, but heard horror stories about broken ones, and all the models i looked at were very cramped with the slides tucked in.

only mine is a 2006. i found downloadable manuals , and close model years , a 2005 and 2007. but no 2006, and they were very sparse and did not address my questions nearly as well as your answers.

although its a very common plug, my local home depot , menards and walmart all have the rv plug that is 2 blades and a pole. i was trying to avoid the camper store as there are none near me, and i was more concerned about what i would find in an rv park, seeing as the 2 blade- pole set up was what walmart had, i was thinking that rv parks had the same set up. and thinking about changing the plug on my rv to the same plug as walmart and what seemed like, the rest of the world.

i will try the existing antenna, - thanks - you saved me $12.99 !

the battery is an agm , no it has not been tested. except for field test of me , putting it on a regular car battery charger and it accepting a charge with no problems. where is the on board battery charger located? i saw some electrical stuff under the bed with come circuit breakers attached to it. is that the charger? maybe i have a bad charger.

again, thanks for your valuable answers and insight. were hoping the 2 year old sleeps ok in the bedroom, he's never been out of his crib at night or slept with us , so this whole rv thing sorta depends on how well he does with it ,parked in the driveway first.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
What model Hurricane? If you need it, Thor has downloadable manuals.

Two thermostats: Mine has two also with one AC. The second indicates your MH is prewired for a second one. The vent over the bed is most likely wired and there may be a blank electrical cover next to it. Mine has one.

Plug: You have the same plug as I do and it is a very common plug. More commonly used in marine applications but also used on some RV's.

Antenna: I would stick with the existing antenna as it is most likely a Winegard Batwing which is still one of the best if not the best you can buy. You want it on top of your RV to receive the best reception. They make an add-on product for the Batwing called the Wingman which will further improve reception. Over the air TV is hit or miss depending on where you are parked.

I have no experience with the small generator.

The coach battery disconnect switch must be in the on (connect) position for it to be charged. Have you had the battery tested? Have you tested the charger to make sure it is putting out juice to the battery?

Welcome and good luck...
looking at your profile pic, i see you have an older hurricane, it looks great btw. was suprised to read that some parks wont let an older unit in. mine is 9 years new, and looks great too. sorta worried that next year, it will be 10 and i will get hassled for having to old an rv to park it at some resorts. i was thinking of wrapping mine, but that wouldnt make it a non 2006 model.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKITCHELL View Post
looking at your profile pic, i see you have an older hurricane, it looks great btw. was suprised to read that some parks wont let an older unit in. mine is 9 years new, and looks great too. sorta worried that next year, it will be 10 and i will get hassled for having to old an rv to park it at some resorts. i was thinking of wrapping mine, but that wouldnt make it a non 2006 model.
Most of the 10 ten year rule places do that to keep junk out. If your mh is new looking, well kept, many will still let you in. I don't stay in those places, mainly state parks.

Lets be clear on that plug... The male end that plugs into the pedestal should have two flat blades and a round post. The female end which plugs into the RV has three curved blades. Yes?

I believe the converter is indeed under the bed (on mine). It may have changed in later models.

I found replacement cords on eBay, much cheaper than camping world.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #6

They may have changed the antenna location on the 2006 but on mine I could not add the Wingman that I had mentioned. The new Winegard Rayzor replacement head works well, not sure if its any better than the one you have though.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:10 PM   #7

Do you have 12 VDC in coach when you are not plugged in to shore power? If you don't and the batteries are charged then the battery disconnect is off. If you flip it to on and still have no 12 VDC in coach then your Aux or Coach Battery Disconnect solenoid is defective. I just discovered this problem on mine yesterday but it was my Main Battery Disconnect solenoid.

Steve
2bassbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:45 AM   #8

Quote:
3. i was thinking about getting a eu2000i honda genny to hook up to the rv for quieter operation at campsites. only need ac. and my old eu2000i powered a house ac in my cabin. so i was going to plug one up to my main rv plug. and just run the ac. - any thoughts on this? the one in the rv is loud and i want to be a good neighbor.
I use a EU2000 on my coach to power most items however, I can't use my Air. When the MH is plugged into the generator items like converter/inverter are running and my fridge will switch to AC. I use the microwave as long as the converter has topped off the batteries. Any fans, TV's and phone chargers all work fine. Purchase another 2000 and run them together and you'll have more than enough power.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
they may have changed the antenna location on the 2006 but on mine i could not add the wingman that i had mentioned. The new winegard rayzor replacement head works well, not sure if its any better than the one you have though.

i guess i still might spend the 11.99 afterall. My kids want to watch tv while moving, and from what i have heard , you are supposed to put the antenna down while driving. The rayzor could be suction cupped to the windshield while driving, not the most elegant solution. But , other than dvds. Pretty cheap fix compared to a dish.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bassbuds View Post
do you have 12 vdc in coach when you are not plugged in to shore power? If you don't and the batteries are charged then the battery disconnect is off. If you flip it to on and still have no 12 vdc in coach then your aux or coach battery disconnect solenoid is defective. I just discovered this problem on mine yesterday but it was my main battery disconnect solenoid.

Steve
it was strange, i had dc in the coach , and ac. Then , the ac just shut off and i noticed the interior lights were very dim. Indicating a dead coach battery. Nothing worked until i manually charged the coach agm battery on a regular charger, now everything runs fine and have not had the problem since. But i have not used the rv in a week. I get it back from the shop tomorrrow so i get to test and play with it again, im taking the small battery charger on the road with me , just in case.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead383 View Post
i use a eu2000 on my coach to power most items however, i can't use my air. When the mh is plugged into the generator items like converter/inverter are running and my fridge will switch to ac. I use the microwave as long as the converter has topped off the batteries. Any fans, tv's and phone chargers all work fine. Purchase another 2000 and run them together and you'll have more than enough power.
yes, i know in tandem, it will be more than enough, but if i gotta run two of them , the added fuel and noise- i may as well use the on board genny, i was just hoping the 1 honda wold power the ac alone . I guess i should borrow one to see.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
i guess i still might spend the 11.99 afterall. My kids want to watch tv while moving, and from what i have heard , you are supposed to put the antenna down while driving. The rayzor could be suction cupped to the windshield while driving, not the most elegant solution. But , other than dvds. Pretty cheap fix compared to a dish.

Save your $12. You probably won't get any watchable digital signal from this indoor antenna attached to a window going down the road.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have stayed at some of the snootiest RVResorts in Palm Springs where they do enforce the 10 year rule. But, it's only to keep out the riff-raff!

If your old coach still looks well maintained and cared for, they will let them in. It's the heavily oxidized, boarded-up windows, dented sheet metal, body damaged motorhomes that they are preventing.

There was a very beautiful 1960's Cortez with the green tinted glass, and an equally cool 80's Vixen motorhome with owner-added BMW logos visiting the resort, and they were very welcomed.

Tags
newbie, thor