Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Newbie with big time electricial problems. Help Please!!

I don't know where to begin. We have a had our 2000 Winnebago Adventurer for a little over a month. Only problem was the starter battery. We knew we had to replace it soon, but have been starting with ok using the boost. My son pulled it up near the house to wash it..turned the switch on and off a couple of times to use the windshield wipers, no problem. When he went to start it to move it back, nothing happened, the dash lights came on for a second and then went off and then nothing. No horn, headlights, dash lights, fans, nothing. So, today we went to Sears and bought a new starter battery. Still nothing.
We plugged into our house current, just as we plugged in, the air conditioner in the MH came on and I hurried to turn it off and 27 amps was showing and everything just stopped. Now the generator won't start, no house lights, nothing. So, we need help!! We obviously don't know anything about what we are doing. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All fuses and circuit breakers are ok? There will likely be multiple fuse block locations, an A.C. breaker panel, and breakers or fuses on the generator and inverter. And are you sure the house batteries are in good condition and being well charged? Ensure the basics before delving deep.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

Your engine, dash lights and probably you generator, start off the start battery. The boost switch control may also be hooked to the start battery.

Look at the terminals on the start battery first. Make sure they are clean and right. If it has side terminals or the post clamps that have 2 little bolts squeezing the wire, make sure they are making a good connection. Very common failure points.

Next, follow the ground cable to where it bolts to the engine or chassis. Make sure it's tight and clean.

Next follow the positive cable towards the starter. Any connections along the way need to be checked, including the starter post.

While checking the positive cable, be careful not to short the wrench to metal.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwchumley View Post
I don't know where to begin. We have a had our 2000 Winnebago Adventurer for a little over a month. Only problem was the starter battery. We knew we had to replace it soon, but have been starting with ok using the boost. My son pulled it up near the house to wash it..turned the switch on and off a couple of times to use the windshield wipers, no problem. When he went to start it to move it back, nothing happened, the dash lights came on for a second and then went off and then nothing. No horn, headlights, dash lights, fans, nothing. So, today we went to Sears and bought a new starter battery. Still nothing.
We plugged into our house current, just as we plugged in, the air conditioner in the MH came on and I hurried to turn it off and 27 amps was showing and everything just stopped. Now the generator won't start, no house lights, nothing. So, we need help!! We obviously don't know anything about what we are doing. Thanks in advance.
wwchumley
Begin by cleaning and checking every electrical connection you can find...(particularly all battery cable connections and ground connections).

Next fully charge both the chassis and house batteries.

After that report back here and ask a question about anything those actions did not fix.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #5

Probably lost a fusible link by the hot cable @ the starter motor.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

Washed it. Oh, oh. If your son sprayed a lot of water into the engine area there could be a lot of problems.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
BTW
As an aside note: Probably.... you are not using the "battery Boost switch" properly when the engine battery needs assistance. It's a momentary switch that needs to be held "down" for perhaps a minute or so "before" you try the ignition switch. You can't just push it and release.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #8

This is a real problem.. you admit you don't have a lot of experience... and those that have posted really don't a enough information to correctly diagnose the problem...

I'm not familiar with your coach and wiring diagrams... but what I suggest is that you find a person who can sit down with the wiring diagrams and find what's common to all your problems... that common link will almost always identify what is at fault for correction...

I often work on my neighbors (hes almost 90) class A... and I can tell you from my experience that sitting down listening to him and than some simple tests always allows me to track down the problem... in his case its almost always a loose connection... cleaning and tightening the connection has fixed more problems than replacing parts...

Best of luck..
Old 09-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take a picture of the battery you replaced. It is so common for people to install them backwards or to leave a cable off. Always take pictures before taking cables off anything.

Please post the pictures. It is quite easy.

A cut off switch may not be turned correctly. Battery terminals must be tight and you should clean and tighten any grounds you can find.

You do need to use a voltmeter. If you are not sure how to use one, youtube is your friend.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
If you need wiring diagrams Winnebago have some of the best resources on line at their site. They indicate where wires run and the code numbers used for each wire. I used them extensively when we had our Luxor.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #11

In any of this conversation , has anyone seen mention of " chassis type ?"
Only mention one one start battery , so I'll assume gas chassis .
If it's a Workhorse , could be burnt ignition switch wiring , for one of the problems .
Old 09-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Check to see if you bumped the Battery Disconnect switch off. My 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32V on the Workhorse Chassis has that switch in the entry stairwell and every time I open the cover to the battery compartment I have to be sure not to bump it off.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #13

Electrical Problems

One thing that is common to all the above is the main ground to the frame. This can cause all types of problems if this area is not properly cleaned and checked on a regular basis.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #14

Most of the time when we hear about issues after changing the battery, it turns out the battery is connected backwards

Tags
ems, newbie, problems