Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

we're moving up from a tent to a class A. Any particular "brand" we should avoid or choose. We're very excited and itching to roll

nhjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
I am partial to Newmar because after a lot of looking I found even their 10 year old coaches in very good condition. I would also look at Entegra and Monaco. My 2 cents. Best of luck and safe travels!

Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I agree with Mystery all are good coaches and the quality
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
A little more info would be helpful.... new, used, gas, diesel, general budget?
Lance, Dana, Bailee & Lexi
2003 Monaco Windsor 38PBDD, RR8S, 370 ISL
4cole_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
From my searches, viewings and road tests all I can say is you have to do the leg work. I found many examples of both good and bad from many manufacturers. I quickly learned which models from each manufacturer may fit my expectations - from there I looked for good (i.e. well maintained, clean) examples. Most of the manufacturers had models below my expectation as well as dream units out of my budget. Most offer entry level models with obvious budget cutting compromises as well as high end models with bells and whistles I don't desire. After DW and I agreed it was a good floorplan and a clean unit then it was test drive time.

This was my approach, I'm sure others will pipe in.
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS - 400HP Cummins ISL
Can Am Spyder Roadster
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Agree with Koop! DW and floor plan are key. As far as gas or diesel you need to also consider what are you going to use it for and will you be driving in mountains or for short trips near home. I have friends with older gas rigs that are beautiful and well maintained. We use ours in our business as a mobile office so we opted for diesel and we drive in mountains quite a bit. Everyone on this thread has given very good advice. I wish I was smart enough to join before I bought. I just spent lots of time looking. I cannot express how lucky we are to have a forum such as this one. Kudos to all!
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Look for basic quality and a floorplan that works for you. Imagine yourself using it and who will be with you, etc. Do you have to go through the bathroom to get to the bedroom? Is that a problem or not? Really important to consider the storage space if you are going to spend any significant time in it. Don't rush into it, you can do a lot of screening of units on line also. If you choose the "final one" on the first time, you are exceptional. It took us spending a lot of time in one to begin to appreciate what we really wanted. Good luck!
Irene (and Jim)
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Smile Newmar

Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I am partial to Newmar because after a lot of looking I found even their 10 year old coaches in very good condition. I would also look at Entegra and Monaco. My 2 cents. Best of luck and safe travels!
I just bought a 2011 Newmar Bay Star with 7000 miles on it and I love it.
It is a beautiful coach, I would reccomend it highly.

Expect to travel in it a couple of weeks if the weather permits.
This is my first reply on IRV2. Hope it works.
wrenrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
There is a separate new conversation in the Entegra forum regarding the same topic. I don't think you could go wrong w/ Entegra or Newmar (although most seem to say Newmar is quite a bit more expensive than Entegra) but most also agree that they are two very well built coaches.

I would highly encourage you to research Navistar's (parent company of Monaco) financial history. They just announced a $2.8 Billion loss in Q4. Buying a coach without certainty of support, warranty and parts would send me in another direction. Just my opinion.

Good luck in your hunt!
2013 Entegra Anthem 44 DLQ
RISCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #10

Thanx all, for your thoughts and recs. We learn more every day and act on your thoughts. I researched Newmar and found that there are no dealers here in NH. Closest is in CT. Have spent some time on their website and like their mission statement. And you folks seem to express that their product is in keeping with it. Have also looked at a couple of Alfa rigs. Looking at the company it appears they went out of business but havbeen resurrected again. A lot of "evolution" in trhe RV industry it seems. At this point we are looking at rigs 36 to 40 ft with my leaning towards diesel. However the big ford gas engine may be adequate for east coast driving. Small mts. I think we will buy used (gently) on our first purchase and figure it out from there.

nhjones is offline   Reply With Quote