Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Newbies and Insurance and Warranty

We just bought our very first RV - a new 2010 Fleetwood Encounter - we are really newbies! I have been searching and reading, searching and reading at the irv2 for some answers for the questions below....

We are now being swamped with all of these considerations for:

Extended Service Policy......I read mucho about self insuring here...is that really the way to go? Companies or sites to study?

Collision/Liability Insurance.......any good sites or companies you recommend?

Homeowners type of RV Insurance...ie contents???....

Extended tire hazard/repair insurance...where does tire coverage happen?

So much to learn! It's so confusing..........

Roadside assistance????

Can anybody suggest answers or Internet sites where we can go to research pros and cons regarding these issues?

Thanks for any ideas...

Gonna try it soon..Yikes

RDGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
I'm a newbe too and I found out about "Good Sam RV Roadside Assistance" for 79.00 for the first year if you join the rv club. Check out their website.

eas_retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Deep breath... Where did you buy the MH, private party or dealer...Is the MH covered by any factory warranty...It is new or used. IMO you cannot self insure a MH ...I just had the turbo and the generator go bad on one trip..guessing $8000 to $10000 for the turbo, and the control board alone on the Onan is $1800 . Now if you have that kinda cash laying around then cool..Self Insure..But a extended warranty is a must for me. I have the MH insured with State Farm..They have all my biz so I fell I am covered there. There are members on this forum that carry tools and mounted tires and change their own flats. I am not gonna change a tire on the MH on the interstate in the middle of down town Atlanta So I will sit and wait with the generator running, having a snack and watch TV until Good Sam sends someone... I don't know what you'd do if if you had to pay for towing the MH 100 miles ...
Anyway..Hang in there..Keep your sense of humor..And have fun..

Peace and safe Travels...Dickson

ps..If you a specific question, send me a PM and I will try and help.
Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I got a quote for a 2012 Bounder Classic we are looking at from Wholesalewarranties.net for seven years $2000. Doing some checking around not sure if this is a good outfit or not. Price seems good. $100 deductible and you can have it repaired at any shop. Any thoughts??
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out GMAC insurance through Good Sam. For the first 5 years of your motorhomes life they offer full replacement if it is totaled. In other words they will buy you a new one to replace yours if it is totaled. GMAC will also insure your contents.

Extended warranties: If your coach is new, usually everything is covered by a 1 year warranty. A lot of the appliances and other items will have longer warranties. If you want an extended warranty you can purchase it after your 1st year runs out. I personally do not like extended warranties because of all the fine print. They will look for any loop hole to deny you coverage.

For roadside assistance Coach net seems to be the most popular.

Good luck,
Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's a couple of thoughts that will make it more difficult for you. (Not intended). I carry a spare tire because I have the room and if/when there is a need for it my roadside assistance can put it on the rim for me right there on the spot. No need for towing or waiting for them to pull it and return with it repaired (if repairable, many are not). Plus it keeps me from getting gouged by someone that knows you need a tire right now.

Secondly, if you put your $2k extended warranty money in the bank each year and do all the scheduled maintenance, likely (not guaranteed) you will come out ahead. Ours is almost 9 years old and we're way ahead (knock on wood).

Third, I recommend a company that has experience with insuring RVs. There are some RV specific coverages you need that "auto" insurance does not provide (like damage from a blown tire that destroys radiators, etc.)

I'll let someone else add other things for you to consider.

BTW, welcome to iRV2, great site and helpful folks here.

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless the "warranty" is from the original manufacturer it's not a warranty, it's a service contract and will have lots of fine print that MUST be followed. Like "If a covered part is damaged by a non covered part, neither is covered". So, if a ball joint (covered part) goes out because the rubber boot (non covered part) tears, then neither is covered.
There was one case where a transmission failed, the insurance company requested the maintenance records from the owner. They found the engine oil hadn't been changed as required (750 miles overdue) so they refused coverage on the transmission!
We self insure now and are far ahead of the game.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

#1 Vehicle Insurance - I would recommend either GMAC, Nationwide or Progressive as they have special coverage for RV's which is different from Autos. They do have complete replacement if unit is totaled or after 5 years they will give you the cash value that you paid for the RV or present book value. They also insure the contents and personal affects plus if vehicle is laid up for any length of time while traveling they pay for hotel costs, etc. RV Insurance is a must and must be started Motorhome Insurance.

# 2 Extended Warranty plans - I would recommend Good Sams Continued Service Plan which covers everything bumper to bumper with a few exceptions such as normal wear items like brake pads. They cover the appliances and much more. I have the Gold Plan with $250 deductible. The newer the RV the less the premium.

# 3 Road Service - I have had Good Sam ERS and got Coach-net free when I purchased RV new. I decided to keep Coach-net for 2 reasons one of which their track record and second they also provide technical assistance by telephone.

Lastly as a newbie there will be a lot of questions that you will have and I recommend this forum or even get on the chat room and go to IRV chatters and one of us RVers will try to help or you can chat with Winnebago on Tues nights and Workhorse on Thurs nights. The chat rooms usually start at 9PM EST. Good Luck and welcome to the RV family.

2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35P,Ford F-53, V-10
2011 Ford Escape,2000 Roadmaster Tow Dolly
"Have a Great Day, Enjoy RVing."
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

insurance, newbies