Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
newbies in the making

Hello all..My wife and I have just recently retired and are leaning towards buying a class A or C motor home ..we are totally new to this and any advice/pro and cons to sizes,towing issues,gas or diesel,what to expect to pay insurance-wise,or any thing else that pertains to a motor home,would be greatly appreciated.ty

burltree69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
There is a huge difference between a C and an A. I would spend time walking the RV dealer lots and going into as many RVs as I could, then figure out your budget and research what that budget will get you online. That will narrow your choice down.

I spent three years researching and figuring just how much I wanted to spend. I then looked at what brands I wanted to go with and what year and model that number would get me. Then it came down to floor plan and cleanliness and care of the coach.

A lot depends on how you plan to use it too. Full time? Weekends?

As far as insurance, the number will vary. I pay about 1600.00 with a 1000 deductible.

2002 Eagle

Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So much of this depends on your expectations, and how you intend to use it. For example, if you won't be using it other than an occasional weekend and maybe a couple weeks vacation that would be one thing, if you will spend months at a time in it, that would be another. Will you be making shorter trips from home, or will your adventures be for weeks or months at a time? Will it be just the two of you, or will you have family or friends traveling with you? Do you prefer high end RV resorts or state, county or national parks?

As for insurance, once you're down to your short list, call your insurance agent and they'll be able to give you quotes on all of them. Insurance isn't something anyone else can give you a number on, it's so personal to you, your past driving records, where you live and local regulations and rates, and so on. Of course that won't keep people from telling you what they pay, and with what company, but keep in mind your neighbor, even if driving the exact same car as you, doesn't pay the same premium as you.

Give more information on how you intend to use the RV and you'll get a LOT of advice here.

Have you ever owned an RV? One place to start might be renting one for a week or two, if not, to make sure you can envision yourself using one long term.

Good luck!
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First off, welcome to the Forum! Though I agree going RV shows and sales lots will give you the best idea of the differences, I would also tell you to spend time wandering the Etherwaves, especially here at the Forum. You can go between many of the discussions and pick up the important ideas and differences and what to look for by simply spending some quality time reading and skimming.

Good luck in your hunt!
Colorado '15 Winnebago Forza 34T w/MKZ hybrid toad
Gormleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
and good luck with you search!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Welcome to iRV2 !! Every single one of us were "newbies" at one time. We started out with a Class C on the Sprinter chassis, later upsized to a 34' FRED Class A, and then finally bought the last coach we will own, the Tiffin Phaeton. The Class C had a lot of benefits in driving, parking, gas mileage (that little Mercedes diesel got superb mileage). But in the sleeping department, it failed miserably. The FRED also got decent mileage and was still pretty easy to drive and park. Sleeping was better (short queen). The Phaeton is what I wish we had bought first.....sure would have saved me some money, as all three coaches were bought brand new. We are very comfortable in the Phaeton......what more can I say ?

2013 Phaeton 40QBH
Freightliner Chassis/Cummins ISC 380HP
2010 Honda CRV Toad
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

I pay a little over $1800 per year insurance which includes my toad and FT insurance. This last is important since we no longer own a SB home with homeowners insurance. The FT insurance covers if people get hurt in your coach. It also covers belongings (those things that are not attached to the coach) which homeowners insurance would cover if we had a home.

I like the appointments and overall fit and finish of a DP coach. However the initial cost and operating cost may be higher.

Find something the DW likes and go with it. Floor plan is important.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
We started out with no knowledge at all and bought a 26' Class C. Two trips convinced us we'd made BIG mistake. The floor-plan was unacceptable - corner bed, pedestal tables. It also had a floor-level in the house that was higher than the cab, so I banged my head on the edge of the bed frequently. We never used that bed because of claustrophobia problems.

The engine was a carb-equipped Ford 460 which got 6 mpg at sea-level and about 4.5 mpg in the mountains. It had warped exhaust manifolds (a $1200 fix) and serious brake problems caused by overheated brake fluid ($800 fix). We gave up in the middle of our second season with that turkey.

Fast forward 6 years, to when we could finally afford to have another go. We found an 8 year-old 32' Class A being sold by the original owners. It only had 12,000 miles on the clock and 48 hours on the generator. They were selling for health reasons.

Very happy with it so far - now into our third season.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
ty for your responses..to start with we don"t plan on living it in the near future,but..it could happen---some day,We are now looking at class A..as most class C"s we have looked at have the bed extended way over the cab,thus blocking some marvelous views(or so we have been told)by past C users we have chatted with in person.We are not familiar with any of the abbreviated terminology,so if at all possible spell it out please.First of all,we are looking for a gently used home,not too old..not too many miles with service records we could view..gas or diesel will always be an issue as we all know that will only get worse price-wise as time wears on.Are there any specific forums here that will help us in our decisions? How difficult is it too drive say a 32 footer? Could my wife manage that task as well? We've both driven for decades combined with no tickets or violations what so ever but HEY we are talking a much bigger rig here,more questions to follow as we think of them,ty all

burltree69 is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie, newbies