Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

Newby question about mud flaps

A friend asked my opinion on the size of a mudflap for his 35 foot Winnebago Vista. As we understand it, we should measure the distance from the ground to the mounting point of the mudflap.

Assuming the mudflap mounts on the bottom of the back bumper, that distance is 26 1/2 inches. We should subtract 8 inches from that to give us a mudflap of 18 1/2 inches. He says they make them from 20 inches to 16 inches and not 18. What size mudflap should we use?

Is it mounted on the bottom of the bumper or somewhere else.

Thanks
Buster

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

Are you talking of the one piece that runs the width of the coach or individual flaps behind each wheel? If the one piece you could use the 16 incher and hang it down with connector links from the mounting bracket to the desired height.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder

ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #3

Real mud flaps should be just behind the tire horizontally (and a few inches above the road to be the most effective) The 8' long rear bumper flaps are great advertising!
Old 11-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Real mud flaps should be just behind the tire horizontally (and a few inches above the road to be the most effective) The 8' long rear bumper flaps are great advertising!
I agree, and a great source of small stones and assorted debris to cover your toad. Put a good set of flaps behind the rear duals and forget the full width flap at the back.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:38 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2, mud flaps, not bumper flap is the way to go. Rocks seem to go through the bumper flaps and find the front end of your toad.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRVer View Post
X2, mud flaps, not bumper flap is the way to go. Rocks seem to go through the bumper flaps and find the front end of your toad.

Yep!
They are simply Ad-Flaps.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #7

Google the DOT web site you will find the right length for your behind the wheel mud flaps. The closer they are to the tires the longer they have to be. The DOT has a rule for everything
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The "Ad" mud flap worked good on my Bounder. My wife had me remove it. It is for sale, send me a personal message.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Commercial Member

There are several threads going about mud flaps, with many different opinions. Just type mud flap in the search bar to learn all about them.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #10

I just redone my mud flaps behind the wheels. The one on the back where a bit high and not covering enough. The one on the front where very soft, thick rubber but too soft, and they would flop around with a side wind.

I took pieces of rubber, cut it and installed max lenght I could behind the wheels and the lowest I could. This should prevent most of the dirt or salty snow to cover and pile up on the frame. I made them larger than the original.

The rubber came from a large conveyer belt, they will last 100 years I think! The front are a little low and touches when I drive over a bump but it will be ok on the road. I also installed flaps beside the one behind the wheels, towards the middle of the MH so splashes of water, mud or snow will not pile up on the frame or the jacks.

I heard that the long ones near the back of the MH will cause more dirt to accumuate in the engine area, especially if you have a rear radiator.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRVer View Post
X3 for me. My Newmar ad flap is hanging on the shop wall where it belongs!!

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote