Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #15
Ex Journeyman Millwright

getting a little warmer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
A month ago, I would have said to get the newall if in the budget and it passes inspection from a pro. However, I recently read about a guy trying to keep his fathers Newall on the road and had to make several trips back to the factory along with several other repairs done locally. Sometimes had to wait for a part that was no longer available. It seemed that every trip ended with a significant repair bill. Maybe his is one of a kind, I don't know, but it gave me cause to wonder. Now, I wouldn't know what to advise. Maybe the Newell maybe the gasser or maybe a less complicated DP.
Ok, I'll get into a little more detail but you kinda hit it on the head. "maybe a less complicated DP".

My wife & I were totally happy with our gasser choice. Took us about 2 -3 months to get to that decision. She loved it. It fit hers & my needs, wants, desires, layout & budget. There wasn't anything she didn't like about it. I wanted a diesel from the beginning of our search for all the known reasons, but it seemed like every older DP was practically the same. Sofa & booth on the right, kitchen on the left, TV over the drivers seat, blah, blah blah, No new technology, no new bling, usually 38' to 40' or bigger, still a lot of money for a 8 - 10 yr old rig and my wife as others have said, she just wanted new. So the Rambler it was & I'm happy too. I'm really handy, can fix just about anything and the gasser is a whole lot easier to work on, and requires smaller storage area, so I'm good with the Rambler.

THEN.....this morning......she spots this Newell. OMG bling on steroids and I'm looking at all the specs, the engine compartment, the wiring control panels (which were unbelievably organized and labeled), storage areas and on and on I could go. And my first response was, boy this thing looks complicated and I wonder if I'm getting in over my head. You know what they say, "the devil is in the details" and BABY THIS THING HAS A LOT OF DETAILS.

But there was a lot of other things I was hoping you all would of chimed in on with using a 42' MH. You know the pro's & con's of smaller vs larger. Camp ground access, Insurance, better for parties, horrible for pets. Great to run laps in. I don't know just RV stuff.

The money is about the same for either coach to purchase. But I'm just wondering if a coach like this might kinda be like a prostitute, they may be pretty to look at and fun to play with but boy they're going cost ya. Or like a halloween prank, you know.....they they fill you bags with candy only to find razor blades under the wrappers.

Hope this helps.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMHO, you could buy the one the DW really wants, and have a LOT of marriage credit in the bank. If it was my DH, and he was fixing up this thing that I just *HAD* to have, he'd be getting nice, home-cooked meals served to him, shoulder rubs when he gets sore, ice-cold beer at the end of the jobs, etc.

You get that Rambler, which is now YOUR choice, you are going to see a dark cloud over her head every time there's a problem (and there will be).

I understand that the Newell is complicated etc. - but you'd be the hero as you figured it out.

All this is just my .02 - YMMV (your marriage may vary, in this case!) :-)

Old 08-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #17

Buy it and have a large cash reserve. If you need repairs and the costs are higher than the norm you have the money. If you are on a strict budget know there is a cost for all the bling. At least you will go in with eyes wide open. If you are capable of fixing things and solving issues no problem. If you are paying for that be prepared to spend a little more.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #18
Ex Journeyman Millwright

Quote:
A month ago, I would have said to get the newall if in the budget and it passes inspection from a pro. However, I recently read about a guy trying to keep his fathers Newall on the road and had to make several trips back to the factory along with several other repairs done locally. Sometimes had to wait for a part that was no longer available. It seemed that every trip ended with a significant repair bill. Maybe his is one of a kind, I don't know, but it gave me cause to wonder. Now, I wouldn't know what to advise. Maybe the Newell maybe the gasser or maybe a less complicated DP.
However, I recently read about a guy trying to keep his fathers Newall on the road and had to make several trips back to the factory along with several other repairs done locally.

Do you remember what state that was in?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #19

We really love our gasser we bought new last year as our first RV, and how well it fits out expectations, paticularly given we now have over 200 nights out in our first 18 months of ownership, including 4 trips over a month, what would we ever consider replacing it within reason?

I didn't, and still really can't picture me as Ralph Crampton drivng some 45 tag. Just doesn't compute for me / us.

Our current location has an interesting and some eclectic RVs, including a nice handful of well cared for "no slide" Motorhomes, topped off by a Foretravel Gran Villa which looks awesome and unique as many RVs used to be (I think it was the July FMCA mag. that had the Fore article and a picture of a GV).

That got me thinking, that a 40' no slide would proably be pretty close to what we have space wise in our coach. And, I I kind of like the idea of a no slide coach....... It would, be interesting if some of the current manufacturers have / would consider a 40'ish no slide DP as an option to a gasser.

So I decided to do some web searching today, and found that Motor Home of Texas actually had a Grand Villa for about $30k. and it appears to be from thier pictures, in really nice shape. I also looked at some of thier other older Fores etc. that starts about $70k, and of course go to the moon from there.

So, what would it really take to do a professional (like having Motor Homes of Texas do the work, not some half --- diy budget concious 2 year
project) full mechanical retrofit, technology / systems upgrade, and lovingly restore the interior / exterior of the GV? I'm of the opinion that most diy jobs look diy to everyone who sees it other than the person who did it, so this is a lets do it all in, high end, get it all right and like new rolling out cost. My gut, with a absolutely nothing to back it up, am thinking anther $50-$100k..... Am I even close?

Looking at newer, but still older units up to about 2006 / 2008 it seemed to me that you would really have to address at least as much, if not more retro fit / upgrade as the GV...... So instead of $30k +$100k refit it would be $60k to $100k + another $50-$100k..... And in almost all of those, you were back to slides again.

And I'd guess it would take 6 months to a year to get it all done.....

Just thinking......

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
However, I recently read about a guy trying to keep his fathers Newall on the road and had to make several trips back to the factory along with several other repairs done locally.

I seem to recall one of the Carolina's or Georgia. I'll try to search back. I think it was on this forum.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:47 PM   #21

Here you go.

My father has a 10 year old top of the line Newell. I have been the one to take care of it over the years other than the many trips to Miami, OK to have the factory work on it. I can tell you it is currently costing a fortune to maintain it. The Waste Master system has quit working properly and Newell does not have the parts to properly repair it. Lippert no longer supports this particular model either. I am currently at my desk waiting on the SubZero repairman to get here.
The sway bar on the front end broke last year. It took Newell 2 months to get us the part from ZF. The Head Hunter water pump alone is $1200 on Amazon. He's gone through 3, I've replaced them all.
Rear driver slide seal blew out 2 years ago. Back to Oklahoma. Rear curb slide mechanism failed last year. Back to Oklahoma where they had to pull the slide out to replace. At his cost, of course. It just left him stranded on I-16 outside of Savannah. Detroit Diesel road service call was over $1000. I just approved the bill(we have an account with W.W. Williams) I could keep going. lol
Newell factory support is great! This thing just cost a fortune to keep running.

Another:
The repair yesterday for the SubZero refrigerator. $1400
The hits just keep coming.

And one more:

Quote:
I need to have my son talk to you. His 2016 45' Mountain Aire has been to the factory three times since last Sept and He keeps talking about a Foretravel and a Newell.

Lol, I have a long list of repairs and cost. At least twice a year to Oklahoma. We've had to have a Newell tech fly to Atlanta twice, on my ole mans dime, room and per diem included.
He's averaged 12-15,000 miles a year but good Lord, this thing is expensive.
12 volt compressors
All the double pane Windows removed and resealed
The Silver Leaf hasn't worked properly in 5 years.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah. Lol.

Maybe the OP should have his wife read this.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #22

Quote:
My wife & I were totally happy with our gasser choice. Took us about 2 -3 months to get to that decision. She loved it. It fit hers & my needs, wants, desires, layout & budget.

So the Rambler it was & I'm happy too. I'm really handy, can fix just about anything and the gasser is a whole lot easier to work on, and requires smaller storage area, so I'm good with the Rambler.

THEN.....this morning......she spots this Newell. OMG bling on steroids and I'm looking at all the specs, the engine compartment, the wiring control panels (which were unbelievably organized and labeled), storage areas and on and on I could go. And my first response was, boy this thing looks complicated and I wonder if I'm getting in over my head. You know what they say, "the devil is in the details" and BABY THIS THING HAS A LOT OF DETAILS.
Lol. 2footitis, DPitits, torqueitis... are all maladies you can expect to contract as you jump into this lifestyle.

My wife and I have owned, Old Gas, New Gas, New diesel and have a newer more powerful diesel on order (17 Dutchstar 4369). Our last rig was a new Ventana 34' DP. It was fantastic, good floorpan for us, toad easy, easy to maneuver and relatively low (for a DP) maintenance costs (6.7 liter engine)

We had previously owned a 35' Winnebago Gas. It was great as well, same benefits and lower operational costs....assuming <20K miles per year.

Here is my experience/Advice:
1) Floorplan is #1 if you don't want to live in it, it doesn't matter how well it drives. Our first rig was a 10 yr old gas, with no slides we added a Banks and some suspension work and it remains the fastest I've ever gone in a MH (Not recommended) . Ultimately, lack of slides killed it. Look at the systems you are going to use when get there. Shower, bedroom, kitchen, fridge, TV, sofa/Chair. Go spend several hours "living" in it. If they don't pass that test, bling doesn't matter.

2) a 10 year old Luxury Diesel will ride better than any gas model IMHO. I assume the Newell has IFS, good airbags/shocks, tires, air leveling etc... Those luxuries come at a cost. Its going to have maintenance, oil changes cost more, slide out repairs are not cheap, tires, brakes, alignment, airbags, tranny maintenance....all are going to cost ALOT more than a top level gas. Its going to be awesome, but not remotely close to cost neutral. Look at the options on the Newell what are they and when were they serviced last. Aqua Hot? Roof AC's? Air suspension? Motor? trans? Brakes? Tires? Batteries? Inverter? Fridge? Slide motors? Seals? Windows? Genset? Its luxury stuff, when it breaks it costs more.

3) If you get tired of the interior you can renovate until your grandkids inherit it all long before that Diesel Chassis will wear out...probably some would say the same of the Ford Chassis. But I would venture the materials used in the Newell are better than the new gas...how many 10 year old gas coaches look that good? Its not a ding against gas its just a fact they don't use the same quality in a 200k coach that they do in a 2M coach.

4) Are you are parker or a traveler? If you drive a little and park more get the gas and replace it when your get tired of the interior. If you are a traveler and are going to drive a lot, you can't beat a luxury DP. There isn't a comparison. Leaf springs + I beam vs Airbags + giant tires+ IFS+ TAG + Rear Engine....

5) Are you going to Tow? If so what? if it's bigger than a compact car, you'll notice and a 500 HP DP won't.

6) What seasons are you going to use it? I would venture your luxury coach is going to be better insulated and equipped for extreme temps. But if you live and will camp in FL. It doesn't matter.

7) Under 35' will get you into more campgrounds than 42'.

In the end both are great options. I am personally partial to DP over gas...we are travelers.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #23

I would strongly recommend you schedule and pay Newell to fly out and inspect the coach. It won't change the cost of repairs but if you need costly maintenance work you can renegotiate the price. These can look great and drive great and then need many thousands of dollars in deferred maintenance. Better to know before than after you buy.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Here you go.

My father has a 10 year old top of the line Newell. I have been the one to take care of it over the years other than the many trips to Miami, OK to have the factory work on it. I can tell you it is currently costing a fortune to maintain it. The Waste Master system has quit working properly and Newell does not have the parts to properly repair it. Lippert no longer supports this particular model either. I am currently at my desk waiting on the SubZero repairman to get here.
The sway bar on the front end broke last year. It took Newell 2 months to get us the part from ZF. The Head Hunter water pump alone is $1200 on Amazon. He's gone through 3, I've replaced them all.
Rear driver slide seal blew out 2 years ago. Back to Oklahoma. Rear curb slide mechanism failed last year. Back to Oklahoma where they had to pull the slide out to replace. At his cost, of course. It just left him stranded on I-16 outside of Savannah. Detroit Diesel road service call was over $1000. I just approved the bill(we have an account with W.W. Williams) I could keep going. lol
Newell factory support is great! This thing just cost a fortune to keep running.

Another:
The repair yesterday for the SubZero refrigerator. $1400
The hits just keep coming.

And one more:

Quote:
I need to have my son talk to you. His 2016 45' Mountain Aire has been to the factory three times since last Sept and He keeps talking about a Foretravel and a Newell.

Lol, I have a long list of repairs and cost. At least twice a year to Oklahoma. We've had to have a Newell tech fly to Atlanta twice, on my ole mans dime, room and per diem included.
He's averaged 12-15,000 miles a year but good Lord, this thing is expensive.
12 volt compressors
All the double pane Windows removed and resealed
The Silver Leaf hasn't worked properly in 5 years.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah. Lol.

Maybe the OP should have his wife read this.
Your post is exactly why we carry an extended service contract on our MH. The previous contract paid for itself + deductibles.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgebet View Post
Lol. 2footitis, DPitits, torqueitis... are all maladies you can expect to contract as you jump into this lifestyle.

My wife and I have owned, Old Gas, New Gas, New diesel and have a newer more powerful diesel on order (17 Dutchstar 4369). Our last rig was a new Ventana 34' DP. It was fantastic, good floorpan for us, toad easy, easy to maneuver and relatively low (for a DP) maintenance costs (6.7 liter engine)

We had previously owned a 35' Winnebago Gas. It was great as well, same benefits and lower operational costs....assuming <20K miles per year.

Here is my experience/Advice:
1) Floorplan is #1 if you don't want to live in it, it doesn't matter how well it drives. Our first rig was a 10 yr old gas, with no slides we added a Banks and some suspension work and it remains the fastest I've ever gone in a MH (Not recommended) . Ultimately, lack of slides killed it. Look at the systems you are going to use when get there. Shower, bedroom, kitchen, fridge, TV, sofa/Chair. Go spend several hours "living" in it. If they don't pass that test, bling doesn't matter.

2) a 10 year old Luxury Diesel will ride better than any gas model IMHO. I assume the Newell has IFS, good airbags/shocks, tires, air leveling etc... Those luxuries come at a cost. Its going to have maintenance, oil changes cost more, slide out repairs are not cheap, tires, brakes, alignment, airbags, tranny maintenance....all are going to cost ALOT more than a top level gas. Its going to be awesome, but not remotely close to cost neutral. Look at the options on the Newell what are they and when were they serviced last. Aqua Hot? Roof AC's? Air suspension? Motor? trans? Brakes? Tires? Batteries? Inverter? Fridge? Slide motors? Seals? Windows? Genset? Its luxury stuff, when it breaks it costs more.

3) If you get tired of the interior you can renovate until your grandkids inherit it all long before that Diesel Chassis will wear out...probably some would say the same of the Ford Chassis. But I would venture the materials used in the Newell are better than the new gas...how many 10 year old gas coaches look that good? Its not a ding against gas its just a fact they don't use the same quality in a 200k coach that they do in a 2M coach.

4) Are you are parker or a traveler? If you drive a little and park more get the gas and replace it when your get tired of the interior. If you are a traveler and are going to drive a lot, you can't beat a luxury DP. There isn't a comparison. Leaf springs + I beam vs Airbags + giant tires+ IFS+ TAG + Rear Engine....

5) Are you going to Tow? If so what? if it's bigger than a compact car, you'll notice and a 500 HP DP won't.

6) What seasons are you going to use it? I would venture your luxury coach is going to be better insulated and equipped for extreme temps. But if you live and will camp in FL. It doesn't matter.

7) Under 35' will get you into more campgrounds than 42'.

In the end both are great options. I am personally partial to DP over gas...we are travelers.

Excellent post!
Impartial and informative.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:03 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
OP wanted to know why a DP ...this is an ongoing thread , right now Cross winds
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Others have said and I will too. A lot depends on how handy you are and if you are willing to get down and dirty with the repairs. The other thing to think about is are you willing to take a chance on the repair parts no longer being made for that year coach and the fact that a lot of suppliers went under in 2007 -2009 time frame due to the market collapse.
Yes you can have the insides redone and brought up to todays standards with flat screens and stuff but the major components are still going to be the same, OLD and possibly extinct and if you do get lucky to find them very very costly.
Don't get me wrong, Newell is top of the line and I'd love to have one. They are one of only a couple DP's that have a mid entry setup. Awesome
Old 10-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:

Sorry, I am late to the party and you have probably already made your decision but the guy was me and I am in Georgia. Don't get me wrong, the Newell is a FANTASTIC coach. My point in posting what I did about my fathers was to be aware that they are very expensive to maintain. I have handled his maintenance on his coaches throughout the years.
This is his 5th Newell. The first 4 were used coaches that he only kept a year or two. This coach was brand new but it is now 11 years old. His coach is #730
Everyone at Newell is top notch, I feel like I am talking with old friends when I call. They go out of there way to help you in any way shape or form, but when some of the out dated components are no longer available, there is not much they can do.
BTW, the part we waited on for 2 months was a drop link for the front sway bar on the ZF suspension. Granted not a very common part to ever fail but his did.

I should also add last Thursday, another Sub Zero bill of $1600. LOL

Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote