Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Newell 42' OMG what would I be getting into

Well my wife & I (older now & no kids) have been all over the board looking for a MH that we want to buy and use for 3-5 day local trips during the main part of the year and then taking the summers off work and planning 2 1/2 month extended vacations each year...like visiting her mother up in Maine for one. Shopping & looking at all these different types of MH's is making me dizzy. I thought we were pretty much settled on a new Rambler gasser, but my wife has found a Newell 42', tag axle MH with a Detroit S60 500 HP, Radiator on the side, Allison HD4060 6 Spd, 95K miles, with an engine compartment so clean you could eat off it. You know how a lot of women are, they love the bling factor. But I must admit this coach is very impressive to me also. I'm a male Blinger too I guess. This coach is absolutely gorgeous and obviously very well taken care of. I won't go into all the stuff it has, blah, blah, blah.., but only owning a pull behind trailer as my RV experience, my first thoughts are...wow this looks really intimidating to drive. It's so big. Where could you take something like this too? Just turning this thing around looks intimidating. And then I told my wife, heck, this baby has 8 tires. Just to replace those would be around 5K.

So my question is, when you get into a MH of this type, (a luxury coach) what are your overall general thoughts and considerations, limitations, benefits, maintenance, handling and so on? Would I be getting in over my head more so than a 2017 35' Rambler gasser OR if purchased for the right price would be a beautiful rig over all to own?

thx
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
There are not many rigs with a better reputation than a Newell.

Buy the Newell if you can afford it and it is in good condition.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
What year is it? I'm guessing late '90s, I don't think they make anything but 45 footers now. I've visited their factory in Miami, OK, very nice operation.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Run, don't walk and get the Newell! It's one of the finest motor homes built. If you can afford to buy it, you'll never regret owning it. The tag increases the stability and makes the ride sooooo much better.

We have one of the best 45' coaches Monaco ever built and love it, but still lust for a Newell especially every time we see one. Our coach also has the Detroit series 60 engine. It is one of the best built engines on the market. We have 110,000+ miles on our Detroit and do believe the truckers comments that this is a million mile+ engine.

With a high end coach, be prepared to pay for any work you need at the top rates. Luckily we haven't had to spend much more than routine maintenance and optional improvements costs. i.e., DW wanted all wood floors and getting replacement canvas of the slide tops after 10 years (which Newell doesn't need).

Driving a big coach is a lot easier than fighting a smaller one down the road. It is much less subject to cross winds and is not blown around by trucks passing you. You just have to remember that you are LONG and need more room to turn.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #5

As stated by Chet, the Detroit Series 60 is an excellent engine and will outlast the coach. You might benefit from having either a private inspector check out the coach for you, or have a well-travelled IRV2 member accompany you. Regarding the tires, you should check the date code. There are varying opinions, but most seem to concur if they are more than 6 - 8 years old, they should be replaced and the cost for Michelin would likely be closer to $8k. You might research joing FMCA as they offer what many have reported to be a substantial discount. Last thought, as mentioned above, the Newell will ride and perform significantly better than a gasser AND you will have no issues pulling most any tow vehicle you prefer. Oh - batteries are another potential expensive need (and price negotiating issue) Check their date of manufacture and if more than 5 years old, they will likely need replacement in the not too distant future.
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may also want to look at Foretravel MH. The older ones aren't as blingy as the Newel, but still built very well. A new Foretravel retails at $1.3M, but, like anything RV, they depreciate fast.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
Run, don't walk and get the Newell! It's one of the finest motor homes built. If you can afford to buy it, you'll never regret owning it. The tag increases the stability and makes the ride sooooo much better.

We have one of the best 45' coaches Monaco ever built and love it, but still lust for a Newell especially every time we see one. Our coach also has the Detroit series 60 engine. It is one of the best built engines on the market. We have 110,000+ miles on our Detroit and do believe the truckers comments that this is a million mile+ engine.

With a high end coach, be prepared to pay for any work you need at the top rates. Luckily we haven't had to spend much more than routine maintenance and optional improvements costs. i.e., DW wanted all wood floors and getting replacement canvas of the slide tops after 10 years (which Newell doesn't need).

Driving a big coach is a lot easier than fighting a smaller one down the road. It is much less subject to cross winds and is not blown around by trucks passing you. You just have to remember that you are LONG and need more room to turn.

I concur with super rep. We've lived full time in our 40' Monaco Signature for nearly ten years now and I could only be temped out of it by a Newell. I like the Newells better than the Bus conversions.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #8

Newell is at the top of my list if I ever win the lottery. Of course, I could also slum it in a Prevost, Bluebird or Foretravel
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #9

Hi Marjoa,
I would suggest that you get the coach build number and call the factory to see what types of service they can still provide. We've met several owners of 80's and 90's Newells' at the factory and they're still getting service and are very happy with their coaches. Chances are that some of the people who built the coach you're looking at still work there.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #10

After 13 years and 161k miles in a 40 DP, I certainly don't know all there is to know about Rvs. Nor have I had the experience of driving or touring in a larger, luxury coach like a Newell. However, a couple of things strike me about your post. First, you indicated that you had almost decided on a gasser before seeing the Newell. Without trying to offend anyone, the difference between most gassers and high end diesels is significant [annual maintenance and fuels costs for starters]. Second, adding the size and complexity of a longer coach with a tag axle and all the other "goodies" usually found on a luxury coach, you are getting into the world of the serious RVer. Before you make a final decision, think I would reexamine just how you plan to use your rig and what sort of travelling you will do. Once you get beyond the basics, it is surprising how little "extras" you need in a rig to enjoy the open road--good luck, great travels.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #11

I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
After 13 years and 161k miles in a 40 DP, I certainly don't know all there is to know about Rvs. Nor have I had the experience of driving or touring in a larger, luxury coach like a Newell. However, a couple of things strike me about your post. First, you indicated that you had almost decided on a gasser before seeing the Newell. Without trying to offend anyone, the difference between most gassers and high end diesels is significant [annual maintenance and fuels costs for starters]. Second, adding the size and complexity of a longer coach with a tag axle and all the other "goodies" usually found on a luxury coach, you are getting into the world of the serious RVer. Before you make a final decision, think I would reexamine just how you plan to use your rig and what sort of travelling you will do. Once you get beyond the basics, it is surprising how little "extras" you need in a rig to enjoy the open road--good luck, great travels.
Without trying to offend anyone, the difference between most gassers and high end diesels is significant [annual maintenance and fuels costs for starters].

What is your annual maintenance costs for starters?

I do thank you and yeah I know all that, that's why I didn't go into as I said "all the stuff". I felt like hey, we all know the basic, given differences of a gasser vs DP. I should of said that in my OP. I wanted to go beyond those common differences as I tried to outline with my questions and why I listed how we'd use it and my concerns. I mean, I totally get that these two RV's are world's apart. Hence my post about various things you'd run into with a 42' rig which I assume would many.
Second, adding the size and complexity of a longer coach with a tag axle and all the other "goodies" usually found on a luxury coach, you are getting into the world of the serious RVer.
That's why I listed this post. I wanted some advice of "what this serious RVer would look like".

thx
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
OK Marjoa I have carefully reread your post and asked myself what is the main question/concern, and I get a sense that you want us to tell you that the gasser is the way to go. You seem quite concerned with the idea of driving a 42 ft motorhome. The previous responders have lots of experience driving BIG rigs, who are no longer intimidated by the idea. But they once were just a anxious as you are. They weren't born driving big rigs. My 1st class A was a 30ft gasser and I assure you that it was harder to keep between the lines than my 38ft Dynasty is. The longer it is the more stable it is ( sorry, you probably know that already).

Your stated usage plan will make the RV your home for extended periods of time. I think your wife is saying she wants to be comfortable while traveling and "Happy wife, happy life", is absolutely true. The statement "Will I be getting in over my head" usually applies to the financial issues involved. Since that is not your situation and considering all the factors, my advice is make the wife happy. You won't be sorry. Finally you need to drive both rigs before making a decision.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Since that is not your situation and considering all the factors, my advice is make the wife happy. You won't be sorry.
Heh, BRILLIANT MAN. From someone else's DW :-)
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #14

A month ago, I would have said to get the newall if in the budget and it passes inspection from a pro. However, I recently read about a guy trying to keep his fathers Newall on the road and had to make several trips back to the factory along with several other repairs done locally. Sometimes had to wait for a part that was no longer available. It seemed that every trip ended with a significant repair bill. Maybe his is one of a kind, I don't know, but it gave me cause to wonder. Now, I wouldn't know what to advise. Maybe the Newell maybe the gasser or maybe a less complicated DP.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote