Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Newell

A friend wanted me to look at a used Newell is considering and I would like some opinions from you guys. This coach is a 43 footer, tag axle. No slides. It is a 1990 with a 475 Detroit (184K miles), all aluminum body. Inside has had some money spent on re-doing carpet and doing some upgrades in the kitchen, such as oven and microwave.
The literature says the genset is a Yanmar Kohler 4500 (I thought both names were engines not generators) Does this seem a bit small for a 43 foot coach with 3 a/c units?
The exterior has pretty good paint for a coach this age. It would clean up and look pretty good with some polish and wax. New set of Toyos all the way round. I did not get to see the basement storage areas, but suspect they will be about the condition as the interior.
The guy is asking 69 K and I think this might be a bit much, but after looking at some 'pre-owned' Newells, I may be wrong. It was originally purchased at LazyDays apparently. We ran Detroits in our old road tractors back in the 70's. These were the old 8v71 318 HP models and loved them. They did like oil, but ran great for thousands of miles. I know nothing about the 475 at all.
Any discussion or opinions would be of value to my pal making a decision.

The guy that has this coach is sort of excentric. He buys thing on the spur of the moment and keeps somethings and others he sells immediately. Example - Bought a pre-owned Cessna 172, within a month he he had a new Bonanza and was just learning to fly. Bought a pair of jet skis and within two weeks had basically gave them away for lack of interest.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Picasa Web Albums - willis milner - Newell

Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
A 4.5KW generator won't run 3 ACs or if it does, it's right at the limit.

Newells are unique high end coaches and I recall talking to an owner with a coach from the '90s and he stated that his and most from that era were overweight on the front axle by quite a bit.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The 90 model should have a series 60 Detroit which is a totally different animal from the old 6V and 8V engines. It's a 4 stroke diesel whereas the old 6Vand 8V were 2 stroke. They are quieter and the oil leaking and burning issues associated with the V motors are gone. They are very similar to cummins and cat engines.

I had a Series 60 435HP in a 1994 Peterbuilt and it was a very smooth, powerful and dependable engine. I in-framed it at 750,000 and sold it at 1.2 million miles. I also had an 88 Volvo/GMC with a 6V92 silver. It would pull hard but you had to keep it wide open and bellowing. It also fit the old stereotype of oil leaking detroits.

Had a friend once who told me he hung a picture of his new truck with an 8V92 on the living room wall. When he woke up the next morning there was an oil spot on the carpet underneath the picture. LOL, LOL
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is one for you to look at. The genny is 12.5k, even my 34ftr. has a 6.5k., 2 a/c's.
1991 Newell Coaches Newell 40' Motorhomes of Texas
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Reckon the thing the owner had on the coach windshield was 14.5kw instead of 4.5kw? Makes a lot more sense that way.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Kohler is a major generator builder, even though we don't hear a lot about them in Rv circles. Kohler uses Yanmar diesel engines in their RV diesel generators up to about 40KW in size.

They don't even have an RV diesel as small as 4.5kw nowadays, but maybe they did back in 1990? But I suspect that model number is in error as doc suggests.

Kohler RV Generators
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newells are a custom built coach so there is no general statement you can make about them. Even the chassis is Newell. Most Newells are serviced at the factory, since that is the only place that knows much about them.

It's probably all electric, including an electric stove and oven, and requires 240v. That means you need 50A hook-ups everywhere, else you have to run the generator. That genset is surely far larger than 4.5kw - docs guess of 14.5 is more likely.

A Series 60 Detroit Diesel is an excellent engine, nothing at all like the old 6v and 8v Detroit 2-stroke diesels. The "475" is undoubtedly the horsepower rating. However, the 8V92 was still in use in 1990 and there is a 475 hp version of that as well. I know some Wanderlodges had the 8v82 in 1990, so Newell may haveused them too. Make sure you know which engine type is in this coach.

One thing for sure, the coach will be a headturner wherever you go!

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote