Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #1

Newell Coach Delivery

Our son just picked up his Newell this week. Besides being outrageously expensive, other manufacturers could learn from them. They picked it up at the factory, but the factory would not let it go till they were satisfied that Scott understood all of the systems, and that everything worked as it should. Also, if he wasn't satisfied with anything in the coach, it went back in for correction or modification to suit him. Only when both parties were satisfied, would they let him leave. Then they recommended he go to a nearby RV park for a few days to "Live" in it till they were comfortable. I know this is all part of the price he paid, but how much happier would any new coach owner be with a similar experience from the factory or a good dealer? Would it really matter if there was another $$$$$ included in the purchase price to cover the cost of such a delivery practice? Maybe we are part of the problem by putting so much emphasis on lowest price. Would you buy from a company or dealer that offered that service??

FWIW. The numbers on a Newell are interesting.
Steer Axle--------20,000#
Drive Axle--------28,600
Tag Axle----------16,000
Towing Cap-------26,000#

Scotts weighs 58,000#. Even with his 600 hp, my 450 Bus might still outrun him in the mountains.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 07:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The difference is ....... What you and your son lost $$ wise on your MH's just driving off the lot is what many pay total for thier RV.

LEN
Old 05-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
The difference is ....... What you and your son lost $$ wise on your MH's just driving off the lot is what many pay total for thier RV.

LEN
OK, maybe I should have directed my post to those who wish to purchase new. Without the new purchases where would you buy a used one???
Old 05-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

I love people who buy new. They take the huge hit and then we can buy it from them pennies on the dollar
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #5

Also they get to spend the first year or two running back and forth to dealer getting everything fixed.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Yes it would be great if other builders could follow some of Newells practices but unfortunately the business models are VERY different. Newells are truly hand built with the very finest components and systems whereas the builders that are focused on a larger group with a lighter pocketbook have a higher volume output and therefore more of a production line mindset with systems that are more prone to being problematic.
I've toured a few of the production high end coach builders and was shocked to see the multi page correction lists posted on the units in the final inspection/correction area that need fixing prior to leaving. All of these builders really need quality system focus and improvement big time. Fixing multiple items at the end of the process is not in process quality and holding folks accountable. The production focus is speed and paying production folks based on what they get done only contributes to a lesser quality during the build

I would imagine Newells philosophy is quite different but at 2mm a copy you can afford it. There Coaches are most impressive for sure and folks that can afford them are not concerned about depreciation. They are looking to enjoy what they worked hard for....just like the rest of us that enjoy RVing
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Our son just picked up his Newell this week. Besides being outrageously expensive, other manufacturers could learn from them.

I know this is all part of the price he paid, but how much happier would any new coach owner be with a similar experience from the factory or a good dealer? Would it really matter if there was another $$$$$ included in the purchase price to cover the cost of such a delivery practice? Maybe we are part of the problem by putting so much emphasis on lowest price. Would you buy from a company or dealer that offered that service??

#

Scotts weighs 58,000#. Even with his 600 hp, my 450 Bus might still outrun him in the mountains.

I believe all new mh purchasers have the same treatment and euphoric experience. Same PDI and time is allowed for corrections.

One of the differences, is that cheap quality doesn't show up until you use/live in the bus.

Another is that those buying low end coaches get treated poorly by dealers, manufacturers and service centers.

Congratulations and enjoy! I am.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #8

Newell Coach Delivery

Congratulations to your son for being in a position to afford a top of the line Coach. If my information is correct, I believe that the Newell has a 5 year warranty and will fly a tech to your location for any repairs. Can you confirm?

Congrats
Old 05-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I'm certainly not comparing Newmar with Newell. I've never experienced factory delivery but I hear the same responses from Newmar owners that choose and pay for the option of factory delivery. They report of as many as 3 techs attending their every need for up to a week, while living in the RV at the factory, with FHU's. This service is available throughout all their lines.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Our son just picked up his Newell this week. Besides being outrageously expensive, other manufacturers could learn from them. They picked it up at the factory, but the factory would not let it go till they were satisfied that Scott understood all of the systems, and that everything worked as it should. Also, if he wasn't satisfied with anything in the coach, it went back in for correction or modification to suit him. Only when both parties were satisfied, would they let him leave. Then they recommended he go to a nearby RV park for a few days to "Live" in it till they were comfortable. I know this is all part of the price he paid, but how much happier would any new coach owner be with a similar experience from the factory or a good dealer? Would it really matter if there was another $$$$$ included in the purchase price to cover the cost of such a delivery practice? Maybe we are part of the problem by putting so much emphasis on lowest price. Would you buy from a company or dealer that offered that service??

FWIW. The numbers on a Newell are interesting.
Steer Axle--------20,000#
Drive Axle--------28,600
Tag Axle----------16,000
Towing Cap-------26,000#

Congrats!!! Just FYI... the big Tiffin dealer, Davis, down in Memphis will put you up at the nearby Yogi Bear Jellystone Park.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I would agree that factory delivery is the only way to go if it's available from the manufacturer of your choosing.
I still think that the industry would benefit in a big way if they would embrace the implementation of quality systems. Look what it did for the auto industry.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I would agree that factory delivery is the only way to go if it's available from the manufacturer of your choosing.
I still think that the industry would benefit in a big way if they would embrace the implementation of quality systems. Look what it did for the auto industry.

I agree with you. But, as I said, are "WE" part of the problem? We are buying them as fast as they can build them just the way they are. Our last six coaches starting in 1996 have been new. Only one of them had several issues to deal with after delivery. We traded it for after 20 months. The others were great with nothing I couldn't correct. Our last and current one has been one of the best with just a handful of minor things when new. However, we hear about all kinds of unhappy owners that seem to have endless quality problems. Only when we refuse to buy the new coaches unless quality is improved will the manufacturers change. And then the price of new might get to the level that many can not afford. It took Toyota and other foreign makes to force our auto industry to improve quality. And they did. Where will the Toyota of the RV industry come from??
Old 05-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
When we took factory delivery of our Country Coach, we got the same kind of treatment
Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #14

Hey Crasher,

Newell is one beautiful coach and I congratulate your boy for the ability and the good sense of buying one! Newell and Prevost have no rivals and they both know how to treat their clients!

Many happy days of motoring to you and your boy... Good for you both!

Harry