Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #15

We bought our Tiffin at Lazy Days the largest dealer in Florida and probably the US and they said they stopped selling Newmar because the company did not back up their warranties. You can call Lazy Days and ask them but thats what I remember. Tiffin does have us get in line for warrenty repairs at Red Bay but they do all of them when they get you in the bays. Lazy Days says Tiffin has been great about paying for the warrenty work they submit for their customers. So far we have been very happy with the quality but we are new owners and have no experience with anything else. Hopefully we will continue to be happy.

gatorgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #16

If we're talking about quality control, what happened with the millions of airbags being recalled by auto companies. Provost and Foretravel that cost in the millions of dollars probably have a little better quality control than the average RV. If you like the features of a certain MH better than all the rest, that's the one to buy. Dave

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
This is the biggest thing that concerned me when considering both. So many people on the forums talked about driving to Alabama for work, and the difficulty of getting work done closer to home. Being in Seattle, that's a non-starter.

So far I have not yet completed repairs on my Bay Star, but Newmar has expressed willingness to pay for a highly reputable local shop to do it, so I am optimistic.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:54 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacay Wheels View Post
This is the biggest thing that concerned me when considering both. So many people on the forums talked about driving to Alabama for work, and the difficulty of getting work done closer to home.
That's a common misconception. Tiffin will authorize a local service center of your choice for any warranty work.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
Newmar,Fleetwood and more is in Indiana. Tiffin is in Red Bay Alabama. Complicated repair seems to be best done at the Factory. Red Bay seems to be packed most of the time and they don't take appointments. I know for sure Fleetwood does, not sure of Newmar. If there is a chronic problem you most likely will need to go to the factory.
Newmar makes service appointments, in fact you would be hard pressed to get work done at the factory without one.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #20

When we started shopping for our next coach we literally got out a yellow legal pad and listed all the brands/models we were considering. We had a brochure for each one too that we picked up at shows. We walked through each one so we could actually lay eyes on each model. We narrowed it that way to three: Tiffin Allegro, Newmar and Winnebago. Then we listed EVERYTHING that we considered relevant to both of our wants and needs. We considered for example, wheel size, chassis size, thickness of roof insulation, residential fridge, fireplace, room around the bed to walk around, price, floorplan, etc.
For our criteria, Tiffin scored the most ✔️marks. In fact the only thing I was disappointed on with Tiffin is that windows were single pane instead of dual. Fortunately it has been a non-issue for us! One year of use, 8000 miles, and we are extremely happy, comfortable and satisfied. Yes, we had a few minor things that required attention at delivery. Our dealership was very attentive and all has been a positive experience. One incident that I will relate: I spotted a screw in the left front tire of our coach while we were in Red Bay watching the build. I pointed it out to a factory rep who noted in. We couldn't stay for the paint process and went home. When our coach arrived and we were doing our inspection at the dealership I inspected the tire...and found a worn down screw! Hmmmph! I told the dealership I wanted the tire changed, not the screw removed, but changed and with a same brand tire. Tiffin with one one call from the dealership ok'd the tire replacement that same day. Two days later, I answered my phone and to my astonishment, it was Bob Tiffin calling, wanting to know if everything was okay with our coach and were we happy? Turned out the Service Mgr. at the dealership forwarded the picture I took of the tire of our coach at the factory with a shiny screw sticking out of it to Tiffin Mfg., and it worked its way somehow to Bob Tiffin. The fact he would take the time to personally call a customer and apologize impressed me, made me feel really good, and showed me that everything isn't perfect at Tiffin, but dammit...they care and will make it right.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #21
HGC

Tiffin vs. Newmar

Had nearly 40 items (problems) including non-operating slides and jacks on first trip. Tiffin was no help over the phone. We were in CO from PA. Took 3 days to finally solve it with the help of others. Had to pay $56. for overnight delivery of the driver's side window switch. Could go on forever. Still working on bad connection to the macerator commode. Never got a phone call from B. Tiffin.
The service manager at the dealership told us that they(brands) all seem to be made the same(was comparing Fleetwood) but Tiffin gets parts to him more easily. However they had our unit for 7 weeks waiting for parts. Then I gave them specific directions not to do anything they couldn't handle. Well they have really made a mess of things they shouldn't have touched. Plus gave it back to me a muddy mess.
I would expect problems with a used unit but I am only 4 months out of warranty and all of these problems should have been OC'd at RB. Not going to RB because we are running two businesses.
We like this coach but really are disappointed at the lack of QC at Tiffin and shoddy work at the dealership. I am continuing to work on it.
If you are handy you can take care of most problems like myself, but big problems like roof repairs, slides, and things proprietary to the manufacturer probably should be taken care of at the factory or some of the rare qualified repair shops.
If you live near RB then go for the Tiffin. If you live in the midwest think of Fleetwood or Newmar. I have two friends with Fleetwoods and I really like them and they are older units. As I said we like the 36LA but it has assembly problems. The Fleetwoods I have been in are also very nice and I know both Newmar and Fleetwood have excellent factory service.
Maybe LazyDays lost their dealership with Newmar and they may not be able to handle the service.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #22

HGC...sounds like you indeed had some QC problems with your unit and that is absolutely no fun, should not happen and regrettable.
It sounds like your dealership however was even more of a problem. #1 they didn't listen to you, the customer. #2 the mechanics and the service dept are not on top of it.
I will absolutely say that the service dept of the dealership one deals with is crucial to how well a person will enjoy ANY brand of coach.
A poor service dept. or a inept service writer will make any manufacturer look bad.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #23

Don't compare motorhomes based on their respective forums. The Tiffin form is without doubt the best motorhome forum on the internet. The discussions there are the most intelligent and well written than any other and engages more owners than the SOB forums. As a result, it may seem that Tiffin owners have more complaints but you also find the most loyal motorhome owner there.

Both Newmar and Tiffin make good products. Go with the one YOU like.

Enjoy!
Old 09-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
FreedomDream is correct regarding the TiffinRVNetwork as it is IMHO, the best forum there is. I always go there for help, just as I did on this forum for Workhorse-related issues.

We have owned three Tiffin gas motorhomes over the past 20 years and each of them have had little issues that TMH handled both at the factory in Red Bay, or at authorized shops locally. All to my satisfaction. I would not hesitate to purchase another Tiffin motorhome if I were looking to buy. I also would not hesitate to buy a Newmar coach either. They are very well made. With the Tiffin 32SA you can get more for the money I think. The coach is on a 22000 lb chassis with 22 inch wheels. The Newmar maybe on a 20500 lb chassis with 19.5 in tires, but I am not certain about that. The difference in tire size means a difference in ride quality. With the 32SA, if ordering new, you can have them build it on a 24000 lb chassis, install Sumo springs and a residential refrigerator with an inverter and extra batteries. All costing more money, of course.

Whatever the choice, they are both great companies.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #25

Just to clarify the above post, the 32SA was moved to the 24k chassis as standard at some point in the 2015 model year. The 2015 model year Tiffin printed literature showed it as 22k, so not sure when the change was, so if by chance you look at used units you would obviously want to confirm which chassis.

With the 31SA you can upgrade it from the 22k to the 24k as we did......
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:20 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am quite happy with our Newmar BayStar. I did my homework and I chose the Newmar. I like the craftsmanship, quality and features. I also liked the reputation that Newmar has established. New arms motto is: "Newmar, when you know the difference." What more needs to be said! Here is a link to some add'l info on Newmar's Quality Control:
http://www.newmarcorp.com/blog/posts...ality-control/

Happy hunting, and good luck.
LCDRAKAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #27
HGC

Tiffin vs. Newmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRAKAllen View Post
I am quite happy with our Newmar BayStar. I did my homework and I chose the Newmar. I like the craftsmanship, quality and features. I also liked the reputation that Newmar has established. New arms motto is: "Newmar, when you know the difference." What more needs to be said! Here is a link to some add'l info on Newmar's Quality Control:
Inside Look: Newmar's Unmatched Approach to Quality Control - Newmar

Happy hunting, and good luck.
Wish Tiffin would read the above Newmar blog actually wish they would have read it before they shipped our ordered coach with so many flaws. What a mess. Like our coach, hate so many problems. Newmar is a quality coach same as Tiffin when proper care is taken in the production and QC. Tiffin please take notice. Others don't need these problems.

Tags
newmar, tiffin