Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #1

Newmar Baystar Sport Emergency Window Came Off

Tonight I decided to test the window to make sure it would open and not stuck to the seal. Well it swung out and then fell to the ground. Did not break. I went to put it back on and there is a piece on the top edge with a small lip that fits into a piece on the coach with a small lip. There are two grooves on the piece on the coach into which a very tiny rivet will fit. I assume this is used as a guide to help center the window. I place the window in position but those two lips don't hold it very well. When the clips on the bottom are closed I can push on the top and feel it move out. There is a thick bead of silicon around the top of the window and it may be preventing the full seating of those lips but I don't thinks so. I'm thinking I may have to remove all the silicon put the window in place and latched down and then re-apply a very thick bead of silicon to the top. It may be the silicon which helps hold the top in place. Anyone had a similar problem. Fixes, Suggestions.
lif13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 PM   #2

I had the exit widow out to install my washer/dryer, and found out that they fall out of the hinge ; luckily the helper I had waiting in the back of his truck to load the washer into the bedroom caught it .
I had no trouble re-installing the window , it did have to be nearly straight up to start the double C hinges back in.
If yours isn't going back together easily and the silicone was over the hinge , there is a good chance someone damaged the hinge and patched it back together .
You didn't mention the year of the coach , or if you are the first owner.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:32 AM   #3

Thanks Skip,

The coach is a 2015 Baystar Sport 2702. I am the original owner. Got it in February 2015. The silicone bead isn't over the 'hinge' but I'm wondering if the adhesive properties of the silicon help to keep it in place. It locks securely below but if I push out on top it will come off. I'm calling Newmar for suggestions this morning.

Larry
Old 06-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you have to open that window in an emergency, do you really care if it comes off and falls to the ground?

Many emergency windows are designed to do this. The hinged ones are actually harder to deal with as you need a stick to prop them open to get out.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #5

If a window was designed to fall out when opened, don't you think there would be a warning label advising to NOT open unless during a real emergency ???
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
If a window was designed to fall out when opened, don't you think there would be a warning label advising to NOT open unless during a real emergency ???
I'd have to re-read my manuals , but I don't recall anything being mentioned.
But it has been a number of years.
I was a shock to say the least.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #7

I'm happy to know that the window falls out. I have tried to envision exactly how I was supposed to hold it up while crawling out the hole.
If I have to use that exit I'm thinking that the possibility of breaking the window will be the least of my worries.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I've never seen any kind of warning on these emergency exit windows. It seems to be left to the person giving you the walk through. I guess the manufacturers think the only time you might open one is in an emergency.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #9

For all I know there may have been a warning decal...my coach must have had 50 of them. Key word: had. Most of them went away. If it actually was helpful I left it. I didn't need to be told that the microwave was not suitable for tanning or that a three year old shouldn't operate the slides.
We are becoming a nation of idiots, unfortunately.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #10

I'm pretty sure emergency windows are meant to all but fall off. If they were difficult to remove that wouldn't be good. As long as it is secure when closed and won't fall of on the highway, shouldn't be an issue.

I do know that I'm unlikely to fit though the emergency window on the Bay Star 3113 we're ordering. It's tiny. Must meet minimum government standards. But we're ordering the rear window option. It's much bigger. If I need to, I'll "carefully" remove it and climb out the back.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #11

Keep in mind that the large rear window is fixed. "Carefully removing" it may require an axe.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Keep in mind that the large rear window is fixed. "Carefully removing" it may require an axe.
Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner. If that's what it takes to get out in case a of a fire, so be it. You don't have an axe at your bedside?
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #13

Do I get partial credit for a
Glock?
Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #14

I spoke to Newmar and was asked by the rep. who advises you to check the window periodically to make sure it will open when needed. I've seen it on this forum as well as I believe Mac the Fire guy. The rep didn't recommend it and at least not to open more than 30°. In any case, there was some silcone at the base of the track on the frame side so I took a sharp knife and cleaned that out so the window could go fully in. Not sure if it made much difference. Then I re-sealed over the old silicone. Good news it rained today and no leaks. The Newmar rep said it should be okay. Hope so. I know I will be checking it every ten miles or so until I feel confident that it will hold. I have a roll of heavy plastic just in case.

I have every confidence that I can get that window open/off in a true emergency.

Thanks for all your responses.

Larry

Tags
newmar, window