Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2005, 05:33 PM   #1

This is for anyone currently buying and who has recently purchased a new Newmar MH. When going through the owners manuals that came with our new MH I noticed that the $6000.00 television that was suposed to be a plasma TV was in fact a $3000.00 LCD TV. When I realised that what I ordered is not what I ended up with I came un-glued. Both Newmar and the dealer have some explaining to do not to mention a $3000 reimbursement.
New05MountAire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2005, 05:33 PM   #2

This is for anyone currently buying and who has recently purchased a new Newmar MH. When going through the owners manuals that came with our new MH I noticed that the $6000.00 television that was suposed to be a plasma TV was in fact a $3000.00 LCD TV. When I realised that what I ordered is not what I ended up with I came un-glued. Both Newmar and the dealer have some explaining to do not to mention a $3000 reimbursement.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:29 AM   #3

Have you talked to your salesman? Before you take any action, I suggest that you give Newmar the opportunity to explain, and hopefully, make things "right". Every quality manufacturere will error....
Old 05-29-2005, 02:51 AM   #4

Excellent suggestion rhandley, Ed.S
Old 05-29-2005, 04:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I surely hope you can get some satisfaction, but be aware that most RV manufacturers stipulate that "specifications are subject to change without notice".

A friend bought a Beaver that had advertised a 10 gallon water heater. After a month or so he determined that it was only a 6 but they said they had changed to 6 gallon tanks a few eeks before his was built. It took several months of complaints to Beaver management before they agreed to retrofit a 10 gallon heater.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 06:31 AM   #6

I do plan on giving newmar a chance to explain and to mak things right. But I expect a $3000.00 refund as the TV that has been installed is a $3000.00 TV not a $6000.00 as I was charged.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #7

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (last fixed residence before becoming fulltimers)
Be glad you got the LCD and not the Plasma TV! Plasma TVs have been on the way out in the RV industry because they are subject to failure from the abuse of bumpy roads, temperature changes and altitude has a negative effect too. The LCD technology is by far a better product especially in an RV. The price difference is another issue though. Just curious, what size TV are we talking here?
Poki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #8

I agree that plasma TVs are a bad move for an RV for the reasons stated. Can you prove where you were invoiced by Newmar for the price of the TV? Normally, items like appliances are not itemized. Unless you can prove that you were charged for a plasma TV (make model and price) you're wasting your time, and weren't necessarily charged by Newmar what you think you were. Personally, I don't see where you are entitled to ANYTHING unless you paid extra for an option.
I would also suggest that instead of going out here and making Newmar look bad, you should have contacted them first. Given that fact that you are at this point not qualified to make a claim or accusation, I believe you are treating Newmar very unfairly. Best to wait until you know what you are talking about before you start pointing fingers.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:50 AM   #9

We purchased an 05 Dutch Star a few months ago that came with a large LCD at a price tag of somwhere over $5,000. Now I know that I can purchase a similar one at any discount electronics dealer for much less. To me it's the same thing as when you buy a car. They charge you a $1000 for a radio that would cost $200 at Best Buys. I also assume that $5000 includes the cost of mounting the TV which frankly given the weight is no small feat.

We liked the coach and were agreeable with the price so we purchased it. We also spend $5000 for wild cherry wood. I'm not sure it's worth $5,000, but it's beautiful and there was no option as that was in the motor home we choose. If you like what you see you pay the price.

Frankly if the coach had come with a plasma TV I would not have purchased it. From what I understand it doesn't take much to damage them and then they can't be repaired. My TV is HDTV and I doubt seriously I would see any difference in picture between that one and a plasma except that the plasma is thiner.

The owners manual is written to cover several models. My owners manual gives instructions for cleaning a rubber roof. Mine is one piece fiberglass. So whats written there may have nothing to do with your particular coach.

Good Luck
Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:24 AM   #10

I agree with Steve Val, a little premature with the criticism.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:02 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by New05MountAire:
... I expect a $3000.00 refund as the TV that has been installed is a $3000.00 TV not a $6000.00 as I was charged. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Unless it specifically says "Plasma Monitor" on your new build order form, you got what you paid for. I don't see where this is Newmar's fault at all and I don't believe that a check in the amount of $3000.00 will be arriving anytime soon.

I believe that you may have pulled the trigger a bit prematurely. "Caveat Emptor" applies to the customer first and the seller second.

These machines cost way too much money to buy a $6000.00 option and not exactly know what you were going to get. Further, you can't assume anything or at least not $6000.00 worth unless you are in receipt of documentation that lists the option as being a plasma monitor.

If you have the documentation then assuming anything is out of the question because you have proof of your claim.

Good luck with your new motorhome and from what we've read an LCD may be better suited to your purposes This may be a blessing going forward.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:28 AM   #12

Interesting. I have heard, in general conversation, that these plasma TVs are fantastic, but the current generation does not have the life of a regular TV. I can not back this up, and maybe someone here can. Very expensive option with a short life span?
Old 06-27-2005, 02:33 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
New05MountAire,
What was the end result of your disagreement over the TV? I had an option of the LCD in my Dutch Star but I refuse to pay $3000-5000 for any TV. The standard Sony has a good picture. Needless to say I did not get the optional $3500 LCD TV in the basement! My $99 Walmart 13 inch works just fine when outside.

By the way, how is the picture on your LCD?
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #14

Plasma TVs not only do not deal with vibration well, but they are altitude sensitive. When they are used for a period of time at one altitude, they will not work if you change altitude more than 1000' or so. The expensive motorhome builders like Newell and Marathon no longer install them in their units. I would bet that is the reason why Newmar stopped putting them in as well. The LCD TV is far better for use in an RV.

Before you flip your lid you maight be wise to make sure that you want that plasma TV. They might just put one in for you and then let you deal with all of the problems!