Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #1

Newmar Canyon Star 3810 2011 Personal Experience

This post should make all those with minor motorhome problems feel good. I purchased this coach because of Consumer RV ratings, other forum posts, the floor plan and the dealers reputation. This is our 5th motorhome in 40 years of rving. I picked up the RV in May of 2011 here is a partial list of what I have contended with:
1. Inside vinyl tape keeps on curling off, after repeated replacement by the dealer I am now using SuperGlue, I hope it holds.
2. 2500 miles engine throws 2 rods 2 months in the shop, a long way from home.
3. Floor tiles curling up, floor replaced by dealer
4. Roof airs replaced 5 yes 5 times. Each time was blown compressor. Roof noise and vibration still a problem
5. Energy management system wired backwards, dealer replaced and rewired.
6. All outside storage doors had to have struts replaced.
7. Storage bay lining, had to be re glued several times

Remember this is a partial list. The dealer has been great to work with (Independence RV in Winter Garden Florida). All in all 5 trips we either delayed or cut short. Florida with out air conditioning is a no go. My past RV's were Midas, Gas Bounder, Diesel Holiday Endeavor, LazyDaze class C 10 years with no issues and of course now the Canyon Star by far the worst workmanship and materials used I have ever seen and yes I have had a cordial meeting with the CEO and President of Newmar.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #2

I have had my 2011 Canyon Star for almost a year the only problem was a inverter not passing the power through is yours a Chevrolet or Ford ?
The only other problem is I can not find a local ford dealer that works on MH I have to drive 75 miles to have the oil changed We love our Canyon Star and when you get everything worked out you will love yours too

Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You say you have a partial list and I see 7 items. Well, when we purchased our coach and looked thru the paperwork of the original owner, my wife was holding the work order and said did you see this? I asked what is it. She then picked it up to her forhead and let go (She's 5'-4") while in accordian style it went back and forth till it hit the floor. She said it was the work order from the factory for eveything that the owner found wrong with the coach. I just smiled as we sifted thru many, many more workorders and were glad that the orginal owner had everything fixed for us. It might be kind of a pain but I'm sure Newmar will fix everything that is wrong and you'll soon enjoy your coach. We love ours and the materials used are first class. You mentioned your AC I believe being the fifth one. Our refrig is the 4th in ours. I can't see where anyone can blame a coach builder for that. The blame should go on the mfr of that particular product. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi sepstein,
Welcome to posting on iRV2. I hope we hear from you often about your RV adventures.

Looking at your "partial" list, I see 5 items that could be attributed to the coach builder. The major items (roof HVAC units and engine) are not the coach builder's responsibility. While I would like to have some sympathy for you, unfortunately there is no joy from here. During my 3 year warranty I had over 150 warranty claims. Most were the fault of the component manufacturer whose product was installed on my coach. To match your example, 2 roof HVAC units, 1 Splendide washer dryer and one hot water heater. There were more recalls on the Cummins engine than I can remember. Then there was the $7.5K of my money that had to be spent (during the chassis warranty) to get the Spartan chassis fixed so the coach was not a danger on the road. This is the same Spartan company that so many say walks on water. All I ever got from them was a "hubba bubba". And this is just a partial list.

What's the good news? After the warranty the coach settled down nicely. Now the problems are routine wear and tear fix or replace. I'm please with my coach. I wish I didn't need to have gone through the horror of getting all the components fixed. Now I like the coach so much I wouldn't sell it. Well, maybe if Warren Buffett dropped by with a truck full of money.

I'm sure you have many happy miles ahead of you. Hang in there.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you need to make a trip to Napannee Indiana. I have had 3 different Newmars. No MH is perfect. What sets them apart it how well the manufacturer stands behind their product. It sounds like your "dealer" isn't doing a very good job???

Your coach is still under warrenty. Go to Newmar! They will fix it!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #6

I always cringe when I see lists like this of problems when you have bought a new coach. It reminds me of a couple of cars I bought in the 1970's. Back then the Pontiac and Olds dealers would sell you a car and tell you, "just list the problems on a sheet of notebook paper, bring it back and we will fix them." My 1973 Grand Prix SJ that I loved needed 31 fixes in it's first year. Once it was fixed though it was a great car. Most likely the best car I have ever owned.

Our Country Coach has needed many fixes in the 28 months we have owned it. I expected that as we bought it from a man who did not fix anything. But we got it for a great price and we really like the coach.

If I had a motor blow in the first year I would not be a happy owner.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Sorry you have had such a rotten experience with your moho. Unfortunately those problems happen with all the manufacturers...some definitely more than others. I hope everything is finally fixed to your satisfaction so that you can enjoy your coach.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #8

Oh man you should own my Phaeton that has well over 50 plus issues and still adding. I plan all travel around a Tiffin dealer. It is the way it is I guess!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #9

And Newmars are supposed to be a quality coach. Why do we put up with such shoddy quality? I see many posts that make excuses for the makers. I'll never buy another new one again - let someone else take care of all the problems.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #10

I appreciate everyones feedback. I guess I have been spoiled by the quality of my past RV's especially the LazyDaze. It's not that they didn't have some issues but when they did it was minor and easily taken care of. I find the workmanship of my dealer to be excellent, the factory sends replacement vinyl wrapped pieces and my dealer installs them properly, then in one month the replaced piece starts loosing it's vinyl wrap. This replacement process just continues over and over again, hence I am now trying superglue. This circular process of replacing defective materials with defective materials is what drives one to distraction. Lucky for us we still have the LazyDaze as a backup.
In Florida the Lemon Law only applies to the chassis not the house perhaps most/all states are the same, darn.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Some of the problems appear be coming from the suppliers, such as the blown engine at 2500 miles and 5 A/Cs replaced back to back. We may be seeing some of the difficulties that all companies are facing as each tries to survive these economic times. Obviously Newmar shares some of the responcibility. There is no excuse from not solving your problem on "their" stuff.

Don't give up! You will get through this wave of issues. As I said earlier, if you can get to Napannee you will (should) get these things fixed.

My biggest concern is if the RV industry collapses. Then replacement parts could simply not be available??? That would be horrible.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepstein View Post
This post should make all those with minor motorhome problems feel good. I purchased this coach because of Consumer RV ratings, other forum posts, the floor plan and the dealers reputation. This is our 5th motorhome in 40 years of rving. I picked up the RV in May of 2011 here is a partial list of what I have contended with:
1. Inside vinyl tape keeps on curling off, after repeated replacement by the dealer I am now using SuperGlue, I hope it holds.
4. Roof airs replaced 5 yes 5 times. Each time was blown compressor. Roof noise and vibration still a problem

Remember this is a partial list. The dealer has been great to work with (Independence RV in Winter Garden Florida). All in all 5 trips we either delayed or cut short. Florida with out air conditioning is a no go. My past RV's were Midas, Gas Bounder, Diesel Holiday Endeavor, LazyDaze class C 10 years with no issues and of course now the Canyon Star by far the worst workmanship and materials used I have ever seen and yes I have had a cordial meeting with the CEO and President of Newmar.
Whew at least you have a warranty ; think about if you didnt
Can you advise what brand ac is giving the issue as I have one also with a vibrating compressor?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #13

Air conditioners are Dometic, the latest replacements appear to be of a new design.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepstein

We have a 2011 3810 with massive problems as well. Im at a point where im becoming very angry.