Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar Canyon Star versus Ventana

Advice please in regards to Newmar's 2014/2015 Canyon Star 40 coaches. Seeking feedback on owners as to how the Ford gas platform performs in driving Newmar's 3953, 3920, 3921, 3914, 3940, 3941, etc... Coaches down the road. I am ready to custom order in a new CS 3941, but still considering options for upgrading to a diesel Ventana or Ventana LE. No plans to tow in the immediate future. Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #2

If budget allows, go diesel.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #3

I think even the Ventana. LE has Newmar's comfort drive, which a lot of folks swear by. If I could swing it, I would go for the Diesel.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Get your last RV first. You'll save a ton of money if you do.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

I truly think if you plan on doing over 10k a year in driving you should seriously think about a diesel. This is especially true if you live out west or plan on traveling out here. Generally speaking the cost between gas and diesel is a non issue. You will also have a better ride and much more toque for climbing and/or towing. But if you plan on using it for short trips then the extra dollars could maybe spent elsewhere. If you not sure then it may make the most sense to buy a used diesel. We went from a Airstream to a Sprinter based class B to an Allegro Bus. Took a beating on the TT did okay on the Sprinter and hope the Tiffin is our last stop. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2013 Canyon Star 3911. Bought it new. Love it. Absolutely no problems with Ford chassis. Plenty of power. Wife does ALL of the driving.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is your usage model?

Once a month weekend trips to nearby locations, with a couple week long vacations a year? Here gas coach works well and keeps more dollars in your pocket (both cap cost and ongoing maintenance.

Or more extensive travel, part time / full time usage? Here is where diesel advantages have a bigger impact and cost justification.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wrbsab12,
Welcome to iRV2. There is a Newmar Owners forum on iRV2. Using that forum to compare one Newmar to another may bring a higher quantity responses form those with Newmar coach experience. For me these are the three most important items:
1. floor plan
2. Will the coach carry all your people and all your stuff? GVWR minus UVW = CCC or NCC. This is the weight you can carry.
3. Will the coach tow what you want to tow? I know you said your not going to tow, right away. One still needs to plan for this to happen. GCWR minus GVWR = towing capacity. Also the weight rating of the receiver needs to be checked.

The answers to items 2 and 3 are in every Newmar brochure. In 2015 all Newmar diesel powered coaches have Comfort Drive.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We really like the Canyon Star 3919, it can be ordered with a rear window in the bedroom. I can't imagine the extra light that would bring in to the bedroom. Also love that the kitchen is on the left side of the coach, then the dinette and seating area is on the awning / patio side, much rather look out at my "porch" area then my neighbors.

I personally would want to have a "top of he line" gas rig over a "entry level" diesel.

Good luck with your decision.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Your 3911, feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
We have a 2013 Canyon Star 3911. Bought it new. Love it. Absolutely no problems with Ford chassis. Plenty of power. Wife does ALL of the driving.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your post and the feedback.
Is your coach quiet on the road at 2500 rpms? 4000 rpms?
Cab area window seals tight? Wind noise ingress?
Rattles, creaks, squeaks? Or, tight quiet construction?
Your average mpg fuel mileage?
Exterior storage volumes sufficient? Any pass through area in the rear?
Thank you for your feedback !
Bill Blosser
Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Jim
Thanks much !
Old 04-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
What is your usage model?

Once a month weekend trips to nearby locations, with a couple week long vacations a year? Here gas coach works well and keeps more dollars in your pocket (both cap cost and ongoing maintenance.

Or more extensive travel, part time / full time usage? Here is where diesel advantages have a bigger impact and cost justification.
Thank you
Use age model may be 2 extended trips per year.... 6 to 8 k miles and 4 to 5 weeks, per trip.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #13

We have the 3610, which is just a few feet shorter, but ours is on the 26k Chassis so we have the same chassis you would be getting and the weight is about the same. We drove both before buying and the ride and performance were the same.

The chassis has plenty of power and can hang right there with the diesel models. We have been right next to them on the grades, up or downhill. The ride is great as Newmar adds some extra handling equipment on the bigger chassis. So far we have put about 10,000 miles on ours (in a year) with no issues at all. We have been up/down the state, thru the Sierras and driven in the Colorado area.

When taking the grades you get a little more engine noise but in my opinion it's much better than other brands as the engine sits lower in the MH, and is better insulated. The engine is very quiet and smooth on the normal freeway type driving.The tow haul mode allows you to control downhill speed with very little braking, and you fell very much in control. The MH tracks well, does not sway, and does not get pushed around by the wind or big rig trucks. We have plenty of storage and several of the bays are pass thru.

So far we have averaged about 8 mpg, we have had as low as 6.5 when climbing grades to get out of town ect, and as high as 10 when we have had a long flat stretch with a little tailwind. We can pretty much count on 8 mpg at each fillup. When we bought ours the Ventanna equipped as ours and same size was about $100,000 more. Price really wasn't the difference for us as much as I can work on the gas engine, do all my own maintenance, and it is fairly easy to keep maintained.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbsab12 View Post
Thank you
Use age model may be 2 extended trips per year.... 6 to 8 k miles and 4 to 5 weeks, per trip.

Then I would recommend the diesel coach.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, vent