Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #15

While the side radiator would be very nice to have, it is not a show stopper for us. It sure would make servicing the engine a lot nicer, but I have learner to work in tight places. There are other things that are more important.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
we've had one Roadmaster chassis ('06 rr8r) and two Spartan Chassis. Given that it is a Motor Home, the motoring part is much better on a Spartan Chassis while the home part is pretty competitive and attractive across the spectrum? I've got about 60k miles of driving Spartan now, and, unless some new development comes along, my next purchase will be spartan dependant.

Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
The Monaco products in 2001/2001 did not build their own chassis at least in the models I look at.
I don't know how you found that monaco/HR didn't build their own custom chassis. In '01/'02, monaco OWNED roadmaster, and the RR8R chassis used in the endeavor/diplomat/safari-sister-model/beaver-sister-model was built specifically for that RV by one division of monaco for another.
Sorry tquarles - I did not realize Monaco owned Rdmstr in 01'/02'. I did speak w/ with the factory and understood Rdmstr chassis was built to order in one building then driven to another for the coach build.

Artwerke - do you not like the rear radiator due to lack of motor access or cooling issue(s)?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #18

Is Sparton the only chassis with independent front suspension and does this feature determine the superior ride? I have a HR Neptune with a four bag solid axle chassis. Lousy ride even after "ride enhancement " kit and new trailing arms.
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog walker View Post
Is Sparton the only chassis with independent front suspension and does this feature determine the superior ride? I have a HR Neptune with a four bag solid axle chassis. Lousy ride even after "ride enhancement " kit and new trailing arms.
The 4 bag Roadmaster chassis was used as a step up from the non air ride chassis as an entry level air bag chassis. It turned out to be a bad idea. The addition of the up graded trailing arms made it safe but it has ride quality limitations. You should call Source and talk to one of the knowledgeable guys there. There could be a problem with how your chassis is set up.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The 4 bag Roadmaster chassis was used as a step up from the non air ride chassis as an entry level air bag chassis. It turned out to be a bad idea. The addition of the up graded trailing arms made it safe but it has ride quality limitations. You should call Source and talk to one of the knowledgeable guys there. There could be a problem with how your chassis is set up.
I think I'm trying to make a silk purse out of sow's ear. I will try Source again. The chassis obviously has it's limitations.
Thanks.
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #21

Edaa, Engine access, I've had to replace alternators & belts on every coach I've owned. When I saw the access on the side radiator Dutch Star I was amazed there were my two roadside nemesis right in front of my eyes. Brought it home & changed the oil & all the filters, sure are a lot of them on a DP & Allison. Replaced the 2 belts while I was at it ,took a whole extra 20 min.& now I have emergency spares in the tool basement. Cooling hasn't been a problem & I haven't heard anyone talk about problems cleaning a side radiator.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
I'm not sure if the HR & Monaco have rear radiators or not, But I wouldn't have a DP without a side radiator. I haven't driven the Dutch Star enough to complain about solid axels,only about 5000 mi. this yr.The ride is so much better than my old Southwind.
On the older DS's the FL chassis came with a beam axle, the optional Spartan chassis had IFS and it does make for a smoother ride.
I think all the DSDP's have IFS now along with Comfort Drive and they use FL chassis.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
Edaa, Engine access, I've had to replace alternators & belts on every coach I've owned. When I saw the access on the side radiator Dutch Star I was amazed there were my two roadside nemesis right in front of my eyes. Brought it home & changed the oil & all the filters, sure are a lot of them on a DP & Allison. Replaced the 2 belts while I was at it ,took a whole extra 20 min.& now I have emergency spares in the tool basement. Cooling hasn't been a problem & I haven't heard anyone talk about problems cleaning a side radiator.
Artwerke - as a mechanic and engineer I have a difficult decision to make. The 3rd slide was not offered by Newmar DS in 2001/2002. I prefer the DSDP in quality and ride (with Sparten chassis). Side radiator also allows a quick visual engine ck - leaks, belts, etc while on the road. Maybe the 2 slide Dutch Star DP w/ Sparten chassis and the fuel injected turbo 330 ISC Cummins is the real answer and forgo the additional room offered by 3rd slide. Ed

Tags
monaco, newmar