Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar Essex or Entegra Cornerstone

If you had to choose? and why.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
New or used? It makes a difference. Floorplans and even construction/engineering have changed over the years, especially on the Essex.

Everyone will have their own unique perspective and opinion but new, I'd go with the Essex. Personally I like the floorplan with the lounge chairs directly across from the big TV and the flat and fully tiled slide out floors. The chassis construction has also been significantly upgraded for 2016.

Used, both are great coaches but I'd probably go with the Cornerstone. They've used the truss style chassis construction since day one. Makes for a much more stable platform to support big slides and on which to put tile floors.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It is going to be tough getting an unbiased opinion because few, if any, folks have enough experience in both coaches. I've been to both factories and both have pros and cons.

As Monroe said, new vs used can have an impact on the discussion. Newmar adopted cross bracing in 2016 along with HWH slide mechanisms for the big/flat floor slide. Also, if you want floor plan modifications of any significance, Newmar will clearly be the front runner.

I am a touch concerned about EC usable weight because of what I have seen in their construction but haven't heard anything (yet?) negative on that issue.

If you are ordering a new coach you need to visit both factories. If used it would still be a good idea.

I think Newmar has the advantage in the used market if "nearly new" isn't important because of the shear numbers of used models out there. Quality, used EC coaches, especially in the Anthem & Cornerstone lines, are in shorter supply.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We own an Essex thus we are by default biased... Having said that, at the end of the day, it's all about Comfort Drive! I would not own a coach without it!!
Old 09-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
The main difference in the two coaches going new is the price point, better than 1.5 k difference in price. Entegra Cornerstone is a well built basic coach with virtually no options. Essex is a well built coach with about every conceivable option out there. Hell I can sit in the drivers chair and add almost 1k in options that the Essex has over the Cornerstone. If looking for a nice riding coach that is well built and the extras really do not matter than the Cornerstone would be the way to go IMHO....
Old 09-05-2015, 06:24 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Im talking new. Ive always had my heart set on EC but after looking at the essex on their website, I was impressed. Is the King Aire a model up from the Essex? Looking at both units the essex seems to have much nicer woodwork although maybe its that I don't care for the high gloss cabinets in the king. Yes I did notice the list of options and read of many custom changes folks made with Newmar. Back in the Travel Supreme days (we were a dealer) we could make a lot of changes as well. Not the case any more.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:29 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
JJr, are you saying the essex is 150k more or 1500.00 more? I get it that it has more options but at both price points, 1500.00 seems insignificant. Are there options on the Numar that I could not add later that are essential in anyones opinion?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can anyone comment as to quality of paint and bodywork on both coaches? Sorry for all the questions but on an investment this big, we don't want to make a mistake. Im going to take my time, visit both factories, drive both, crawl in and around, order our coach as opposed to dealer stock and again take our time. If it takes 6 months or two years to make our decision, it will be the right one.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:38 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
From top of the line on down, the order is;

King Aire
Essex
London Aire
Mountain Aire
Dutch Star
Ventana
Ventana LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Im talking new. Ive always had my heart set on EC but after looking at the essex on their website, I was impressed. Is the King Aire a model up from the Essex?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:45 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love the 4565 essex. The one they show on the website in their gallery is just how I would order it, color, interior and all. What a beautiful coach!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see the spartan chassis is now optional on the Essex. Depending on price, that could be a game changer. I'm of the opinion that to put a coach of this quality on a freighliner chassis (standard) is sacrilege.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Nice quandary!

IMHO it's a no brainer! Why put the Essex on a FL chassis. Cost less! As you know EC comes with the Spartan K3 not as an option. However, not really sure with this statement, FL on the Essex offers passive steer. Add comfort steer and passive tag, certainly NOT an option to overlook at the price points your considering. Back to EC, very hard to not point out two year warranty, much improved QC and outstanding customer service. Cruzer's posts on the Entegra forum are a good read. He's evaluated them all and just bought a 2016 Cornerstone. So there you have have it. Clear as mud!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Both the Freightliner and the Spartan chassis (Newmar) come with a passive steer tag axle. On the Freightliner it will turn a maximum of 12 degrees and will lock/unlock above/below 15 mph. On the Spartan the tag will turn a maximum of 10 degrees but will lock/unlock at 45 mph. In other words, it's still working as you are going around that freeway clover leaf or one of those confounded traffic circles.

The Freightliner chassis wiring is still analog, the Spartan is all digital. This eliminates a lot of weight on the Spartan chassis (note, if you check the specs the Spartan is shown as having 600 lbs more CCC). The Newmar factory chassis tech I spoke to also said he much prefers working on a Spartan, it's so much easier to trouble shoot, all the electronics route to a central and easily accessible control box at the front of the chassis.

The main chassis rails on the Spartan are a bit higher in the storage bays leaving an extra 1.5 inches between the bottom of the rail and the floor of the bay or sliding tray.

While the chassis web sites for both manufacturers, I believe, show "up to a 60 degree wheel cut", in the Newmar configuration the Freightliner has a 52 degree cut and the Spartan has a 55 degree wheel cut.

The fuel filters and the air dryer on a Spartan are super easy to get to, all lined up in that last bay on the right side, but the tech says Freightliner is getting better at accessibility (the ones I saw on the line had the fuel filter front and center when you open up the rear engine hatch).

Both will come with the updated and greatly reinforced center section (between the front suspension and rear power clips).

I asked a lot of questions when I visited the factory a few weeks ago.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #14
PJL

Does the K3 chassis used by Entegra currently come with a passive steer tag? I think you said it was an option on Newmar, but don't see it as either standard or optional on Entegra's site. Maybe I just missed it.

Tags
newmar