Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #29

LOL!!! I rest my case!

As one of only TWO class A manufacturers who DO use Azdel - perhaps Winnebago should STOP and go back to LUANN!

LOL! Sorry - had to say it. But can certainly understand your frustration and desire to prevent future problems. Perhaps you might check into articles about Newmar products over the years to reassure yourself that they have no known delamination problems.

Good luck and safe travels.

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
The OSB used throughout will also disintegrate in water, but is still the best product for the task.
What's an OSB?? [ moderator edit ]

Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
OSB = Oriented Strand Board and is a common acronym to anyone that buys lumber, builds items that require a sheet type or product. Idea is that the product is just as strong as plywood however lower cost.

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, let's knock off the personal comments.

Discuss the issue, not each other.

Thanks!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #33

[QUOTE=Gary RVRoamer;1704612]This seems to me to be much ado about nothing. I don't see that any of the current RV manufacturers have a delamination problem unless there is actual water intrusion in the walls./QUOTE]

While that might work for you, in a climate where it might rain for about 15 minutes before the sun re-emerges, the OP lives in the Canadian Maritimes. And for anyone who is not familiar with Canadian Maritime weather, a typical day starts with overnight fog and drizzle which continues to about 11 am before the drizzle subsides. The fog usually continues until the sun emerges briefly around 2 pm or so in the afternoon.

This is the kind of climate that will destroy a luan built RV in short order! And definitely NOT the kind of climate for this shoddy kind of construction. Adzel would seem to be the bare minimum in constructing RVs for that kind of climate. Fortunately, luan is quickly disappearing from the RV manufacturing scene; and it's only a matter of time before Amish RV manufacturers catch up with the rest of the world.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just a note.

Members may post facts, opinions, thoughts, rebuttals, and whatever is on their mind as long as it's within iRV2's rules.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #35

Sorry folks. As the OP I really didn't intend on stirring up such a hornet's nest!

My question wasn't about delamination or who does it better, I was only trying to understand if there is a difference in Newmar wall construction and if so, what that difference really is.

In spite of the passionate responses I'm not sure that I have any better understanding!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
My question wasn't about delamination or who does it better, I was only trying to understand if there is a difference in Newmar wall construction and if so, what that difference really is.
Amongst RV manufacturers that are still using archaic luan technology, there is no difference. Luan is laun; and when gets wet, disintegrates into an irretrievable pile of wet moldy wood chips.

Luan on a Newmar, a Winnebago, or a Jayco, is the very same. If it gets wet, the life of your RV has irretrievably expired!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nothing "archaic" about a proven product. Another plus with the hung wall construction is that EVEY opening in the wall structure has an aluminum fram around every opening. The other types use the beadboard and covering to support the windows etc. The frames are just screwed into the unsupported wall structure whereas on a hung wall unit there is an actual aluminum framework to support the window or door.
Too bad that some people "project" what happened to their product onto another that has a proven record of quality.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
Nobodys mentioned Fleetwood, but no matter what the interior wall board is, I inspect the roof ends where the main joint of the wall and roof meet twice a year. I have my handy Dicor gun and use it even on the smallest cracks. I too leave our coach on the coast four months a year where the weather is exactly the same as Stan indicated. I've encountered no problems and no problems were noted when the coach was repainted. I guess if you know your coach has luann laminated walls then you simply keep the water out. I would inspect the roof and walls even if it had azdel.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Nobodys mentioned Fleetwood, but no matter what the interior wall board is, I inspect the roof ends where the main joint of the wall and roof meet twice a year. I have my handy Dicor gun and use it even on the smallest cracks. I too leave our coach on the coast four months a year where the weather is exactly the same as Stan indicated. I've encountered no problems and no problems were noted when the coach was repainted. I guess if you know your coach has luann laminated walls then you simply keep the water out. I would inspect the roof and walls even if it had azdel.

Luan is just not supposed to get wet...
If you never maintain the joints on the roof, yes water will go in and yes the luan will rot and eventually I suppose your carpets will rot also.
Luan is used mostly because its lightweight!
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #40
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maritimer, if you look at this video and at the 2:24 mark you will see two workman carrying a sheet of fiberglass with out any Luan backing to be placed on the metal studs that were previously prepared with glue for the placement of the sheet of fiberglass.
There are other views in links previously provided with same construction information.
This is how its installed directly to metal studs without any plywood backing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
you will see two workman carrying a sheet of fiberglass with out any Luan backing to be placed on the metal studs that were previously prepared with glue for the placement of the sheet of fiberglass.
I can't see anything definitive in that lo res video. But I would presume that the intent of your information is to defend Newmar against defamation by anyone who would suggest that Newmar would stoop to using low end construction techniques such as gel-coat plywood/luan laminate.

Although, from the video, I am unable to visually analyze the exact materials used in Newmar sidewall construction, the actual facts, are no further away than page 12 of their 2014 Canyon Star brochure

http://www.newmarcorp.com/resources/...brochure?nid=0

in which Newmar claims wall structure as:

p. Composite one-Piece Gelcoat Exterior Sidewall;

o. 3/16 Plywood Exterior Wall (luan, by any other name)

Is that plywood merely dangling loose between the sidewall and the frame, with no apparent purpose; or is it laminated to the exterior sidewall!??
Old 08-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #42

Really don't see where you want to take this Stan.
Everyone one knows you gotta keep the water out of the coach with proper maintenance.
Luan is cheaper than that expensive plastic and is light in weight.
And, all the plastic will do is let the water down to (or into) the floor and then compartments... Keep the seals shut on the roof and around windows and problem solved!

HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar