Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #1

Newmar Exterior Wall Vs Others

I've searched and read a few different threads on this subject but there doesn't seem to be any real definitive explanation on the difference between a Newmar exterior wall and those of other reputable manufacturers.
Many have said that the difference is most others are laminated while Newmar is not, yet in looking through various years of brochures (gas coaches) I haven't seen one yet that doesn't reference a plywood or luan backed Gelcoat composite panel, including the 2013 Canyon Star.
I recognize that there may be a difference in how it's installed (I've watched the Newmar videos) but is there any real difference in the make-up of materials?
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This has been discussed many times before here is a long thread with the methods they use on their coach's hung walls.
You go to this link and can see actual coach construction pictures of THE "HOOT's" coach's being built.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
I haven't seen one yet that doesn't reference a plywood or luan backed Gelcoat composite panel?
Newmar uses gelcoat laminated to cheap luan paneling, which by nature will not only disintegrate when it gets wet, but because of expansion and contraction of luan, particularly in humid climates like the Maritimes, will start to disintegrate just from changes in atmospheric moisture. Delamination due to luan is probably the single most common reason for reduced RV lifespan.

The only way to avoid delamination, is to go with an RV from one of the many manufacturers that that have now abandoned luan in favour Azdel thermoplastic composite material which is totally immune to the effects of moisture and delamination, i.e.:

Leading the Way - Coachmen RV Features
Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #4

I have no idea what's underneath the fiberglass exterior but the sidewalls of my 16 year old Newmar are solid with no sign of any delamination
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #5

What I don't see being discussed here is the difference between the foam "core" used in most laminated sidewalls and the fiberglass batt-type insulation Newmar places under the "skin" between their studs.

There is a HUGE difference in the insulation and sound deadening characteristics of my signature coach and my previous KSCA, which I wish I had kept. :(
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Newmar uses gelcoat laminated to cheap luan paneling, which by nature will not only disintegrate when it gets wet, but because of expansion and contraction of luan, particularly in humid climates like the Maritimes, will start to disintegrate just from changes in atmospheric moisture. Delamination due to luan is probably the single most common reason for reduced RV lifespan.

The only way to avoid delamination, is to go with an RV from one of the many manufacturers that that have now abandoned luan in favour Azdel thermoplastic composite material which is totally immune to the effects of moisture and delamination, i.e.:

Leading the Way - Coachmen RV Features
I'd like you to SHOW me some delamination on our coach. I have NO idea what your talking about. We've primarily been in some of the most humid area's of our country and have NO sign of anything your mentioning.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
And I'm not sure either in the exact process from the mfg...but I can tell you that the 2 Newmars we had...a 99 DSDP and a 2004 MADP..were hands above our American coach for QUIET....we can sit in our American and hear conversations outside or my wife can hear me outside talk ing....and we never had this with either of the Newmars...and we had those Newmars for 12 years and over 160,000 miles.....Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
I can say that we switched from a Fleetwood Expedition to our current 05 MADP and this coach is head and shoulders quiet over the Fleetwood. We don't even hear it rain in this coach.
Like others have stated, on our Fleetwood I could sit outside and talk to my wife while she was inside cooking just by talking through the walls.....not on this one. It is dead quiet inside this coach and MUCH easier to keep cool or warm.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
I can say that we switched from a Fleetwood Expedition to our current 05 MADP and this coach is head and shoulders quiet over the Fleetwood. We don't even hear it rain in this coach.
Like others have stated, on our Fleetwood I could sit outside and talk to my wife while she was inside cooking just by talking through the walls.....not on this one. It is dead quiet inside this coach and MUCH easier to keep cool or warm.
X2. We went from a Jayco Designer 5'ver with basically Styrofoam insulation to our Newmar DSDP and the difference in insulation is like night and day. In looking at the inside wall of our coach, what I see is fiberglass attached to plywood with a lot of fiberglass batting afterwards.
Along with the dual pane windows, our Newmar is the quietest and best insulated coach I've ever been in.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok guys I do not own a newmar so I am not going to comment on your posts. I do not know how much fiberglass insulation they put in their coaches but unless I am seriously mistaken styrofoam insulation has a lot better insulation and sound deadening characteristics than fiberglass. In my stick built home which I worked as a laborer and watched the house being built. I have r-13 fiberglass bat between 2x4 walls, over the outside walls we have 3 mill plastic. over that we have 1 inch styrofoam sheets. ( been a long time we might have the styrofoam over the bats then plastic over them but I believe it was like I first described it) for windows we have double pane argon filled low e windows. Are you saying your MH is better insulated than that. Because I can tell you I have a pond outside my house and when it is going to rain you can hear the frogs pretty clearly.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 2002 DSDP has never been stored inside. We live in WA and there is NO delamination. Why? Because Newmar walls are NOT "laminated".
As to quiet...we can't hear it rain unless it's a hard rain.

Obviously Stan's opinion is a product of false advertising.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
ok guys I do not own a newmar so I am not going to comment on your posts. I do not know how much fiberglass insulation they put in their coaches but unless I am seriously mistaken styrofoam insulation has a lot better insulation and sound deadening characteristics than fiberglass. In my stick built home which I worked as a laborer and watched the house being built. I have r-13 fiberglass bat between 2x4 walls, over the outside walls we have 3 mill plastic. over that we have 1 inch styrofoam sheets. ( been a long time we might have the styrofoam over the bats then plastic over them but I believe it was like I first described it) for windows we have double pane argon filled low e windows. Are you saying your MH is better insulated than that. Because I can tell you I have a pond outside my house and when it is going to rain you can hear the frogs pretty clearly.
oops forgot something. On the outside of the walls next layer out from the studs is 7/16 OSB for strength but still another layer.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #13

One of the first things we noticed when we moved from the fifth wheel to the motor home was the silence. Our dogs used to bark at every little thing that they heard outside. They rarely notice any noises now and are so much calmer.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #14

There are only two manufacturers that I know of who use the "hung wall" technique. One is Newmar and the other is Entegra. Both have a reputation for being incredibly quiet and well constructed.

Tags
newmar