Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #1

Newmar help (yr 2000 mod:4093)

Hello iRV members,

Hopefully someone could give some insight to a few issues I am having with my RV. I have searched the internet on the issues (below), but no luck due to the RV's age I assume. So...

Problem 1

The unit will be running/driving with no issue. Without reason (competely random) it will, for a lack of a better description, "reboot" and the gauges will go through the start up process. The rig continues to run USUALLY without any disruption, but on occasion it will buck, trigger alarms, and trigger fault codes on my roadway unit. It has never died out, but to clear the codes I have to eventually stop, restart unit, and reset/clear the fault codes.

Problem 2

When the headlights are on over a 30 minute period and I use any source of chassis power like a turn signal the system will "reboot" again, and the lights will temporarily dim. When running it has never stalled or died out.

Problem 3

Depending on the answers to the above 2 problems I would like to remove the carpet and install some kind of hard surface flooring. The manufacturer said I only have 3/8 inch to play with because the slide outs are on floor rollers and any higher will cause and issue. Mind you the tech I spoke with even stated "to be honest I am not totally certain because I've never worked on a unit that old." Can anyone tell me the following:
Is the information given accurate?
Can I install above 3/8 inch without it being a problem?
What kind of flooring is best? (I really don't want any kind of sticky junk tile)

This is a solid unit that is great cosmetic shape. Despite the issue with the Spartan IFS ball joints (yeah I need to do that too) it has been as expected. I did install new items since Ive owned (inverter, starter, tires) and I really don't want to sell it; however, I am debating a newer model.

In closing, any insight or advice from the community would be of great appreciation.

Thank you,

Nick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #2
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello Nick,

Great to have you here! You may find help with your electrical issues via the Spartan owners forum on this site. I'm not sure about the computer brains of your coach, but the chips may need a flash update from Spartan. They should have some diagnostic advice for you, or someone with the same occurrences.

Other owners of Newmar vintage such as yours will chime in here with good advice on the other questions soon. There are many, so you should get some direction. Best of luck on your rig.

Regards,
W.D.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #3

WD,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I did look into the owner's manual and nothing is present about the issue I am having in the troubleshooting section. Calling Spartan is a good direction and will do so.

Looking forward to other members insight as well.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Nick,
Is that a Cat engine you have? What ever it is, that's what I meant about the computer stuff flashing the chips etc. I would contact your engine maker as well as Spartan chassis. Have both the chassis serial no# and engine serial no# ready when you speak to them.
You possibly will end up at a service center nearest you to get it trouble shooted out.

Let us know what you ultimately find out.
Best regards again,
W.D.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #5

WD,

It is a cummins.

I will be calling them on Monday and shall report on that issue.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunshow Nick View Post
WD,

It is a cummins.

I will be calling them on Monday and shall report on that issue.
That's what I would do. Cummins is great to work with. I just the other day had cause to talk over a question I had
The tech I talked with (Sandra) went out of her way to get me the answer I needed on an oil sample I had a problem with. You can also post a question on their web site and they'll get back to you.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Nick,

As a disclaimer - I am not a mechanic, so I cannot talk "shop" if you will like many of the other fine members here.

But one lesson I am learning quick as an older motor coach owner was to expect trouble and hopefully it isn't as bad as it may seem.

We bought our coach in October 2014. It is a 2002 model that had less than 12K on the odometer. So it sat for much of its life. I knew there would be some issues with the coach from non-use. Last year when I could really get in and around the coach I discovered nests. Wasp nests, mud darber nests - thankfully no mice nests.

One problem I am having is the refer. Chills just fine - too cold. It tends to freeze items when being used, even with the control panel set to the warmest setting.

The coach is at Newmar as I write for service and one item is the refer. I recieved a call the other day from a tech telling me a wasp nest was attached to the mother board of the refer.........

So my point is perhaps look for insect nests.......

Good luck.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mine is a 2003 Dutch Star that I have had 3 yrs now and put 40,000 miles on it. We love it, but have had our issues too. I have learned a lot about the coach. Cummins and Spartan are excellent places to start with a problem,,, not a repair shop if you can. I have learned (after some expense) that my model has one fuel filter, apparently most diesel's have two. The hick-ups I have had with the motor have all been related to that issue. I now carry 2 replacement filter's ( only $30/ item) and have learned how to change it out myself. Also, I have started using Power Service Kleen all the time (fuel additive), and the Cummins love's it. It is running great with more power. Good luck. David

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #9

All,

I sincerely appreciate your time and input. I see this forum is THE place to be when it comes to the RV internet hot spot for interaction.

I will be doing some calling come monday and do a report so all can learn from my experience.

Ironic enough I just happened to have pulled a nest out of a covered fuse panel above the generator. no damage so that was a good find.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #10
DJJ

Nick,

In response to your new floor question, I installed 3/8" engineered hardwood in my 03 DS and have no issues with the slide out. Prior to gluing the floor down I screwed some 3/8" plywood in front of were the rollers are and tested the slide just to make sure their would be no issues. Both with the temp pieces of plywood and with the hardwood floor the reveal with the slide in on the outside did not change.

Good luck with you other issues.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #11

Speaking from experience, my guess is you have some wiring connection issues.

When I first acquired my DS I had a problem with my air gauges and alarm coming on for no reason. Random Check Engine Light/Alarms to name a couple.

I started by pulling every plug on the firewall above the generator, spraying the contacts with electrical cleaner, putting a bit of dielectric grease on the pins and reassembling. That helped a bunch.
Had problems with the generator not starting. Cleaned and lubed the plug on the umbilical cord and problem solved.

Then, I went into the battery compartment and went looking for poor grounds and making sure all battery connections were good and clean. Replaced all of the battery cable connectors and jumpers.

Then, I found I had a charging system problem and replaced the alternator. During that process, I went through the BIRD system and found a couple of loose connections on the solenoids.

The moral of my story, you have one or a bunch of poor electrical connections. Start at the front end and work your way through to the back by cleaning and checking. You will be amazed at what you find.

I still get the odd CEL and I'm dambed if I know why but I'm convinced it's a poor connection somewhere that causes a blip in the 12V supply. But overall, it runs like a Swiss Watch.

P/S, spartan and Newmar were very helpful by supplying drawings.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #12

We have a 2000 4093 and love it. Can't help with the electrical problems but we did remove the carpet and installed luan and luxury vinyl tile without any problems. I made floor protectors out of masonite for the slide rollers. Also replaced the original refrigerator with a residential.

Mike
Old 03-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nick any 8mm flooring will work just fine. I installed 8mm laminate in my coach and the slides work just great. I would suggest engineered flooring. Its easier to install in tight places instead of the lock together laminate. If you are doing the job yourself I can help. PM me and I'll tell you how I installed my flooring and it's a floating floor wiht no issues. It's great not having any carpet. I only have carpet on the big slide and the dog house. It's not that hard to do and don't let the slides scare you. They are not that big of a deal.
Sounds like you have a ground issue. My ground from the alternator to the chassis was corroded and loose and caused my gauges to read erroneously. Check all of your grounds. 9 chances out of 10 that is the issue.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar