Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Newmar Mountain Aire

Hey folks, I am looking at a 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire with about 27,000 miles on it and I have a concern on wether the 7.5kw Onan is enough to power the 2 roof A/C units on extreme hot days without putting too huge a strain on the Generator. Also any other tips or things to watch out for on a Newmar with this type of age and milage on it? Any info is greatly appreciated !! Thanks!

Eheld786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Eheld786, You do not need to be concerned about a strain on the generator. We have run two 15M air conditioners and a few additional items without any problem of really loading down the generator.

As to other things to look for on a 2006, check maintenance records, tires for cracking from sitting a lot, fluid levels. What model is it that you are interested?

1997 Newmar Kountry Aire 3356
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins engine, FMCA #408511
figallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
With two roof ACs going full blast, you'll be running the generator at about half capacity. The Onan will do that forever. Not something to worry about.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #4

Hi, and Welcome to iRV2.
7500 gen set is plenty, along with that ,the built in staggered AC compressor start-up keeps the system well within load limits.
X2 on records, how many hours on the gen set ? Has it been used and serviced accordingly ? Or totally ignored ? Exercising and use of the gen set on a 6 year old coach should be 150>200 hrs. Low, low hours can mean rust, and major headaches.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
In reality, unless you plan on doing a lot of dry camping, you won't run the generator that much, at least I don't.

Some people run the generator while going down the road to be able to run the coach air conditioners or other appliances. I have the same genset and it has no problems running the airconditioners and the microwave or any other appliances in the coach. You will also have an EMS system that will manage the load that the genset sees, not to worry, sounds like you are getting a great coach.

And BTW, Welcome to the Fourm, post some pics when you get it, we all love pictures.

Happy Trails
MGySgt USMC(R) 1961-1991
2001 Fleetwood Expedition
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra Toad
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
I bought a Mtn Aire last August which had been sitting for a while on the dealer's lot. This is what needed to be repaired:
1 Penguin AC had leaked was welded and re loaded
All 4 slides were re-adjusted
batteries replaced
Pioneer GPS/NAV was dead/replaced
1 front tire moved to rear inside, coach re-aligned (vibration at 65 mph)
Dish/dome (KVH L3) was dead, discount given
the digital keyless/keypad was replaced (Essex 1701)
small crack at top of passenger side windshield, windshield replaced
Jacks keypad replaced
Full maintenance on engine and frame, onan genset, hydro hot

Since then and after more than 3000 miles and about 40 days spent in it, I am very happy with this coach. Test drive the one you're interested in on a rough road and see if you can get them to eliminate some of the noises; this would be my only complaint about my coach...
'06 Mountain Aire 4309, ISL 400-CM850, Spartan MMGT
'16 Jeep Wrangler
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Wow, thanks a lot for the info! Very Very glad I asked! This unit is at MHSRV in Alvarado Tx, it shows a new set of Michelin tires but no info on hours on the Gen. Before I buy anything I'll be going thru it with a fine tooth comb, rattles and squeaks are a huge pet peeve of mine but in the Motorcoach world they may be somewhat unavoidable. I do happen to have this little voice in the back of my head telling me to hold off another year and be more serious on just looking into a new Entegra, possibly an Aspire or Anthem. Once again I appreciate all the feedback! Hope everyone is having a happy and safe summer!!
Eheld786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That 7.5kw will work just fine. We have a Generac in ours. Good Luck and hope all works out with your purchase.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Even thought they are new tires, check the date code on them to verify their age. Depending on the area and tire size "new" tires could 6 months to a year old sitting in storage.
John, Pam, Nicholas, Aria
NKK 16073L
2007 Essex 4502
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
I agree w/ Quail Hunter. Get the Entegra w/ the 12.5k generator... run everything you want and have no worries whosoever. Not to mention the Entegra customer service is the best I've ever seen. Ask around on the forum you'll hear everyone beyond pleased!
2013 Entegra Anthem 44 DLQ
RISCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess copying a proven design is a way to go.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
If it's not broke...

I agree with you Mr D. Upgrade the old TS design, add new technology on a proven chassis and the put the cherry on top of unbelievable customer service and you have something unique.
2013 Entegra Anthem 44 DLQ
RISCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
Triple E Owners Club
Let's see;

7500 watts @ 120 volts = 62.5 amps

Does your rig take more than 60 amps at any one time.

isa is offline   Reply With Quote