Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #71

Coastal Campers
Newmar is a top tier coach builder. High quality chassis and interior. We own an 07 Mountain Air with Cummins 450. Outstanding rig I’ve never regretted purchasing this rig.
904Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2020, 10:37 PM   #72

Some apples & oranges comparisons accidentally going on!

A Mountain Aire with an ISM (450HP in the case of a 2007 model), is not the same as a Mountain Aire with an ISL (400HP in the OP's 2005 mentioned model).

It always comes down to power to weight ratios, on whether or not an engine is going to support a specific coach.

As pointed out in other threads over the years. Bigger Block sized engines will weight more then Mid Block sized engines. They also get the heavier Allison 4000 vs the 3000 series transmission. Usually have heavier drive shafts, axles and larger capacity cooling systems too. So much of the extra HP/Torque of the Big Block engine is used to support the overhead of this extra weight... No question the ISM450 has more HP/Torque then the older version ISL400. Newmar spec'd the ISM450 vs ISM500, to separate it a step lower down the food chain from say the Essex, and up a bit higher in the food chain then say the Dutch Start (Which if I remember, has a 450HP ISL available in 2007(?))... Normal marketing. Some owners with ISM450's, ave been able to get the ECM's reprogrammed by Cummins to deliver the 500HP power, and I suspect also have improved HP/Torque curves too, over the ISM450.

Other factors to remember when say comparing 40' coaches (And I know the OP is asking about a 43' coach. But many of the examples have been talking about 40' units.) are: A 40' coach with tags, is going to have more weight to carry then a 40' coach without tag; A coach with 0 - 2 slides, will have less weight added from the slide mechanisms, then a coach with 3 - 4 slides; A coach with a 135+ gallon fuel tank, is going to have more weight when full the a coach with say a 100 gallon fuel tank; 40' coaches come with different chassis available. Higher end chassis are usually heavier then entry level chassis Rear vs Side Radiators can also make a difference in weight, as well as power consumed for cooling... (I'll stop here, but etc. on other attributes to coaches...).

All of these factors, makes sharing and comparing how say an ISL400 will perform in a coach, relatively meaningless, without the specifics of the model, year, chassis, etc., etc. of the coaches being shared as examples of how well the engine performs in a coach...

OP - Best of luck to you on your decisions, and if needed, on going hunt for a coach.

And best to all, travel safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #73

Newmar mountain aire 4304

I have the exact coach. Same year and model. 58k. Bought it new. The 400 hsp cummins is a powerhouse. I pulled a 2002 Sea Ray 290BR from Arkansas to Lake Powell in Utah when it was 4 years old. Probably 14k boat and triple axle trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
It's a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4303. It's a 43 ft with a tag axle. I've seen some photos and it's gorgeous. It has a Cummins 400HP in it. About 55000 miles on it. No firm price discussed yet, just a sort of "neighborhood" talk. It'll surely be more than I have been considering, but probably worth it if it's a high quality coach.

What can you guys tell me about this coach and this company? I will need to move quickly on it if I do this.
Livin2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:12 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin2ride View Post
I have the exact coach. Same year and model. 58k. Bought it new. The 400 hsp cummins is a powerhouse. I pulled a 2002 Sea Ray 290BR from Arkansas to Lake Powell in Utah when it was 4 years old. Probably 14k boat and triple axle trailer.
I had to read this twice. I am guessing the 58K quoted here is the current mileage and not the price you paid new at purchase?! That was the misconception on the first two reads.....
Old 01-06-2020, 01:24 PM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Side radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Thanks, all. We'll see if and how this progresses. Does anyone know if the 2005 43' Mountain Aire is a side radiator? I'm not sure why that is important but I've seen enough posts to know that it's better.
Yes it sure does have a side radiator!
Anakalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #76

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
How Much HP do You Need??

Are you planning to drag race you Motorhome? If not you will find 400 hp more than enough to go anywhere in real Motorhome style.

I drive a 38' Workhorse chassis gasoline model, towing a car, with the 8.1l gas engine - has far less than the 400hp you are considering. It will win no races but that never bothered me as I am driving a large RV - not a Porsche. No one drives a big Motorhome for it's performance.

You will find 400hp more than enough to take you anywhere and everywhere you want to travel to.
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #77

Well we own a 08' Essex and love our Newmar. For reference if you haven't already done so you can find all of the Newmar brochures archived on their website so you can get a feel for what was standard and optioned on the coach. It was great for helping us in making our offer when we were able to see that it was pretty much optioned out when it was purchased. As stated many times before due your due diligence on the inspection side of things.

Good luck!!
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:44 AM   #78

FWIW...Newmar is now a division of Winnebago Industries!
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #79

Newmar is top of the line in quality built coaches and service.{just my opinion} As far as being 10k over budget....well in a long term loan 10k does not change the payment by much at all. That being said you will have what you really want and won*t be looking back saying *****I wish we would have got that Newmar*****
BOSTONBERNIE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
winnebago vs newmar

I had a winnebago Grand Tour for 10 years. I now have a 2001 Mountain Aire.
The Newmar is a far superior product.
The biggest thing for me is the construction technology in the walls and roof. The winny uses a sandwich of fiberglass glued to Styrofoam and wood. Its very strong but,,,, one leak and its ruined for good.
Look around at almost any older winny and you will see bubbles or delamination, impossible to fix and almost impossible to prevent as leaks are inevitable.
The roof design of the winny is also flawed. Its a tough roof but also glued together in such a way that a leak disolves the wood, and the structure integrity is lost. If not repaired completely one day your roof will peal off driving down the road.
None of this is the case with the Newmar. No delamination and a much higher resale value down the road.
I will also say that you are parked many more hours then you are going down the road. Horsepower is nice, but it isn't worth that much in the total enjoyment picture. So long as the trailer hitch is rated for the weight of your toad, a Newmar will drag it along and you won't even know its there.
3HrTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #81

This is another great thread.

We are in the 'looking' mode and I am undecided about diesel vs gasser to purchase. I know the advantages/disadvantages of both and I very much appreciate the dialog here.

I also very much appreciate the advice of using PPLMotorHomes website as we see the floorplans right up front...makes things very easy to see and understand.

Please continue with this great discussion, and thanks!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, mountain aire, newmar, quality