Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Macfet View Post
We have been rasslin' with the Tiffin vs Newmar vs Entegra decision for about 6 months. Because of two kids we had ALMOST decided to go with the Tiffin bunkhouse, so yesterday we took the trip to see one. It was locked "because it has been prepped for the Dallas show next week". Finally got to examine the coach. Small, easily fixable stuff has probably dimmed the Tiffin luster for us. Bad engine door latch kept us from opening same... Door might have been hung caddywhomppus...Shower door hung so that it could not be fully closed and secured.
As an old (operative word) aircraft tech inspector, alarms aboout build QC have been triggered. I'll be interested to see if the flaws still exist when we visit the RV show.
More than once, I've been told by dealers they don't "fix" things until the coach is sold because the builders only reimburse them for warranty repairs. Apparently there is no warranty until there is an owner. Sounds crazy, so it must be true. I can't imagine why a builder would want to display their lack of QC, but nothing surprises me anymore in the RV business. Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
This thread is one that, in other forms and at other times, has seen lots of mileage on iRV2 and on TRVN. It is definitely interesting. We have spent a lot of time and energy considering both Tiffin and Newmar and initially were sold on Tiffin. We went with Newmar (are on our third Newmar coach currently) and still have a high regard for Tiffin.

The commenter who said that both are quality coaches from quality manufacturers is right on the money.

What I think is the single more important thing in all of this is to get into the coaches, drive them, get the feel for them, visualize how living in them will be for your entire family, get the sense of how much you will like it three years from the purchase date when you are well out of warranty and you still have years of payments left on the clock.

It is next to impossible to make the right choice by deciding based on sales literature or on the basis of the kind of comments that appear here or on TRVN. There is no shortcut for behind the wheel testing -- and the comments of DW and family members about the entire feel of the coach. No matter what brand is ultimately bought, to make a decision without driving and assessing the coach while using it is to make a choice simply by rolling the dice.

Just my two cents.

Deek

FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 - All Electric / 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit AWD / SMI Air Force One / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Macfet View Post
We have been rasslin' with the Tiffin vs Newmar vs Entegra decision for about 6 months. Because of two kids we had ALMOST decided to go with the Tiffin bunkhouse, so yesterday we took the trip to see one. It was locked "because it has been prepped for the Dallas show next week". Finally got to examine the coach. Small, easily fixable stuff has probably dimmed the Tiffin luster for us. Bad engine door latch kept us from opening same... Door might have been hung caddywhomppus...Shower door hung so that it could not be fully closed and secured.
As an old (operative word) aircraft tech inspector, alarms aboout build QC have been triggered. I'll be interested to see if the flaws still exist when we visit the RV show.
I can tell you, from watching our new coach being built at Tiffin (a Phaeton this time), that the minor "defects" you saw were not there when the coach left Red Bay. Take your house and put it on a shaker table for a couple of days and tell me how many "defects" you see in your formally perfect home.

Motorhomes have a tough life and as an owner you have to be prepared to adjust, fix, modify anything on the coach on a regular basis depending on the roads you traveled. The good news is that most things settle in after a period of time and become less of an issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.
luvlabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
I would like to know what the issues were with the wet bay's on the Phaetons? What was wrong with them? What years were the problems on?
Thanks,
Old 09-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin used a plywood floor for the wet bay up until (I believe) 2011. If you ever developed a tank leak, there was a good chance that you could develop rot in this area. Tiffin will repair (actually replace) the wet bay floor going back 6 or 8 years after the coach was built at their expense. 2011 and later models have a molded plastic wet bay floor.

My dates may be off a bit but someone can correct these.
luvlabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Tiffin used a plywood floor for the wet bay up until (I believe) 2011. If you ever developed a tank leak, there was a good chance that you could develop rot in this area. Tiffin will repair (actually replace) the wet bay floor going back 6 or 8 years after the coach was built at their expense. 2011 and later models have a molded plastic wet bay floor.

My dates may be off a bit but someone can correct these.
Thanks for the reply,

Tags
newmar, tiffin