Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #1

Newmar or Tiffin

My husband and I have been in a "research mode" and have been going around kicking tires. We have narrowed our search down to two. Newmar and Tiffin. In Newmar we like floor plan of Bay Star 3308. In Tiffin, we like the quality, heavier chassis, of Allegro Open Road 34 TGA. We have to driven any yet.

My only concern with Newmar is that it does not have a big presence in the West. Where do you get your warrenty work done?

Please feel free to give us your opinion of both. Which is a better ride, better built, more reliable?

Thank you everyone.

Alam

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar dealer or Spartan shop for us. Although, truthfully we haven't needed any service at a Newmar dealer for years. Did have problems with the now ex Newmar dealer. Never been much of a problem as all the appliances are serviceable by anyone.
After 11 years we only have one nagging problem: a slide motor that the techs say is partly burned out. It works enough to pull the slide in or out but on the in movement it's not powerful enough to bring it up from the flat floor fully out up the "hump" so we have to help it some. Once up it works fine but the motor is laboring. It's a $600 motor through Newmar and about $450 at Grainger.
Been reading quite a few posts about wet bay problems in the Tiffins though.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Alam

I own a Tiffin. So you can guess which one I will recommend. You also know which one Newmar owners will recommend. Drive both. Than buy the one that gives you the best price.

You won't find to many Tiffin owners bad mouthing Newmars because we know they make a good moho.

jack r
Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I've owned three Tiffins over the years and still do, so my views may be bias. That being said, both Tiffin and Newmar are quality rv builders. If I had not purchased our 2012 Tiffin 34 TGA, I no doubt would have bought a Newmar. The build quality is good for both manufacturers, but I can attest to Tiffin's service both during and after warranty. Second to none. IMHO!

The Newmar Bay Star 3308 and the Tiffin Allegro 34 TGA are both gas rigs on Ford chassis if they are newer models. The TGA is built on a 22000 or 24000 lb chassis with 22.5 in tires. . I'm not certain if the Newmar is on a 22000 lb chassis or a 195000 lb chassis on 19.5 in tires. The bigger tires will provide a better ride. My rig is a 22000k and it rides and drives as well as a gas rig can do, assuming I have the tire pressure correct and it is not over loaded.

Mr. D indicated that there is a problem withe the wet bay. That may have been the case with some Phaetons or Allegro Busses but it is not a problem with the gas motorhomes. My wet bay is contained in a plastic shell covering the plywood floor. So are all the other gas units and the late model diesel pushers.

The choice of course is yours. They are both good builders.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Alam, first off

You are asking a question that may bring some arguments or some heated discussions. As you'll see brand loyalty is very common. I've owned 2 Newmars and have been happy with both. I've also know Tiffin owners who swear by them. Both companies are very rebutable, both have good customer service, and yes both factory authorized repair. Here are some things to consider:
1. Livibility, does the inside of the coach have the options and floorplan you like? If you're going to buy one built for you do you want to change the layout of anything?
2. Engine and generator. Does the engine offer sufficient power? Is it gas or diesel? What powers the generator? How big is the generator and where is it located? (When you're sleeping you'll like having the generator at the other end of the coach.)
3. Handleing. Remember it's a house on wheels so it's not going to handle like a car, but you don't want it to wear you out driving it either. Some chassis, suspension and wheel combinations handle better then others, the only way to tell is to take them out for a ride.
4. Lastly the dealer. This forum is a good place to see what people are talking about, and what their experiences have been like.

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how it works out.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Looked at both. Bought an Entegra. But if I hadn't purchased an Entegra, I'd have gone Newmar. Heard about many Tiffin problems...and all coaches have problems...but when the Tiffin closet door came off in my hand at a RV show at Hershey and I saw water streaming across the floor of a Phaeton at a dealership after a thunderstorm, Tiffin fell off the plate. I visited the Newmar factory and believe they build a superior coach, comparable to Entegra. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Looked at both. Bought an Entegra. But if I hadn't purchased an Entegra, I'd have gone Newmar. Heard about many Tiffin problems...and all coaches have problems...but when the Tiffin closet door came off in my hand at a RV show at Hershey and I saw water streaming across the floor of a Phaeton at a dealership after a thunderstorm, Tiffin fell off the plate. I visited the Newmar factory and believe they build a superior coach, comparable to Entegra. JMHO

DSL417

I'm sure you own a cell phone with a camera. Would you post some pictures of the closet door coming off and the water streaming across the floor of a phaeton. I'm speechless that you would compare your Entegra with a gasser.

some posters on this thread I guess enjoy bashing Tiffin for everything that has happened to any Tiffin but have failed to say Tiffin is fixing the problem free of charge and is not hiding like Newmar did a few months ago with the lady from flordia who made a post about all the water leaking in her brand new coach. Dealer wouldn't help her and Newmar wouldn't help her until she got a newspaper reporter from the local newspaper who went on the offensive with Newmar. With all the bad press Newmar was getting they finally gave her her money back. Now try to answer honestly who gives the best support after the sale, Newmar or Tiffin??

jack r
Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jack R,
The short answer to your question, for me, is Newmar. Both companies have their +/-. As to your example, it is not correct. If you wish to defend Tiffin it might be better if you focus your posts on the attributes of Tiffin. Consider sticking to what you personally have experienced.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Jack R,
The short answer to your question, for me, is Newmar. Both companies have their +/-. As to your example, it is not correct. If you wish to defend Tiffin it might be better if you focus your posts on the attributes of Tiffin. Consider sticking to what you personally have experienced.
Gary

Please let me know why my example is wrong. And we both know Tiffin doesn't need to be defended. As far as sticking to what I know Who died and made you King??

jack r
Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Alam..... I believe the Tiffin you cite has a significantly longer wheelbase than the Newmar, and that will translate to better highway handling and more comfortable driving. Apart from that, both ought to be quality machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Looked at both. Bought an Entegra. But if I hadn't purchased an Entegra, I'd have gone Newmar..... I visited the Newmar factory and believe they build a superior coach, comparable to Entegra. JMHO
DSL417..... Do you really think its fair to put Entegra on a par with Newmar? Entegra is a beautiful looking coach, but they've only been around for five years.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I looked at both & went with the Tiffin because I liked the floor plan. But I would have bought a Newmar just the same, both are fine coaches. Don't let the bad-mouthing discourage you from either. I had the "wet bay" problem that really was not a problem for me, just Tiffin as it cost them money to fix it, not me. In fact Tiffin covered a few other problems I never thought they would. All companies have negatives albeit some more pronounced. How companies handle those issues is what set's them apart. In this regard Tiffin excels.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Get what the DW likes. The layout is the most important, especially to her. Fit and finish is next. Which has doors than line up, solid wood surfaces rather than cheap plywood. Which has the features you desire. Make a list of features you want including floor plan then shop for it.

Both Tiffin and Newmar make quality coaches. I was only shopping DP when I was looking, and in my mind (My opinion only) Entegra felt cheap in the finish compared to either Newmar or Tiffin. I could push on the Entegra woodwork and have it move under my hand. no such movement in either the Tiffin or Newmar. In my price range Tiffin was #1, Newmar #2, but oh so close to each other.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
DSL417

I'm sure you own a cell phone with a camera. Would you post some pictures of the closet door coming off and the water streaming across the floor of a phaeton. I'm speechless that you would compare your Entegra with a gasser.

some posters on this thread I guess enjoy bashing Tiffin for everything that has happened to any Tiffin but have failed to say Tiffin is fixing the problem free of charge and is not hiding like Newmar did a few months ago with the lady from flordia who made a post about all the water leaking in her brand new coach. Dealer wouldn't help her and Newmar wouldn't help her until she got a newspaper reporter from the local newspaper who went on the offensive with Newmar. With all the bad press Newmar was getting they finally gave her her money back. Now try to answer honestly who gives the best support after the sale, Newmar or Tiffin??

jack r
Respectfully, sir, I did not compare the Entegra with either a Newmar or Tiffin. I said clearly that my choice would be for Newmar, IMO, per the choice that the poster ask. I looked at gassers before settling for a diesel. The coach in question at Hershey was an Allegro gasser. I gave a reason for my choice, which was an observation...not bashing. Why would I take a picture, and I'm somewhat taken aback at your suggestion that I would stretch the truth. Have no reason, or stake in the game other than a preference, in the gasser line for Newmar construction.

The OP didn't ask for service after the sale, and I did not cast any aspirations, in any case, one way or another.

Relax, and read the post simply for what it was...just sayin'
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ask Tiffin or Entegra to modify their floor plan or equipment like we did. On our DSDP we had them remove two walls, two pocket doors and substitute a vanity and countertops, plus a bunch of other modifications. I know that Entegra won't do any of that and doubtful Tiffin would either.
At the Phoenix Good Sam rally I had an Entegra salesman so mad at me he refused to talk to me. I kept pointing out that the "features" he was showing me we already had in our Dutch Star.
Anyway, competition improves all the brands.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin