Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Spartan or Freightliner

I am looking at a couple of early 2000 Newmar 38 ft. dp's. One has a Spartan chassis and two have a Freightliner. I did a forum search and read all I could find on S v F and it seems that each type has fans and I couldn't discern a definitive answer about which is better. In looking at a brochure for a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star, it lists the GCWR at 32,400 for the Freightliner and 37,400 for the Spartan which is 5000 pounds difference, which is a lot. I don't see any other major differences in the specs. Is there anything else I need to know about the differences between the two chassis?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #2

I always consider where in the USA I can have what I own, serviced or need parts. Both are good or they wouldnt have been in business for this long. It will depend on your wants and desires.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Spartan will have a Cummins 315/950 ISC and IFS
The FL will have a CAT 3126 300/850 and straight axle.
We had a 2000 3865 on FL. Finally traded it in for a 2002 with 350/1050 and IFS
What size tires are on it? Newmar had a recall on the front tires from 255 to 275's as I remember.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #4

I have had both. The big difference I have noticed is the service. Spartan to me has outstanding service. Can call their service desk and they are their to help and will email you anything you need or stay on the phone and work with you as your troubleshoot with their help. Did not experience this with FL.

Also, the service centers I have been to were quite different. At Freightliner even the Oasis dealer which supposedly is certified for motorhomes, the facility was not nearly as motorhome friendly as the Spartan shops I have been to. I know these are independent, but certainly get direction from FL and Spartan. I understand that FL is trying to improve their dealer service so it might be better now.

After having each and experiencing service from each, I would favor Spartan over FL in a future purchase.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we were deciding on which chassis to order I drove both, the Spartan rode slightly better. I can't answer your question about the GCWR unless they figure the weight ratings differently.
BTW, I was wrong about the HP, both had 300 hp but the Spartan has a Cummins that's bigger and does have more torque.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How much of that 'extra' 5,000 lb gross combined weight is CCC (cargo carry capacity) and how much is attributed to perhaps a heavier chassis? You'll see many threads complaining of the lack of CCC. A few thousand pounds extra is a very valuable thing.

It could simply be extra towing capacity (given the additional horse power and torque), which could be important depending on what you intend to use as a toad. The typical tow rating for that size rig, I'd guess, is 10,000 with some up to 15,000 (and a few as low as 5,000, although most in that range are gas powered).

That extra power could be a good thing, especially traveling through mountains.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
I am looking at a couple of early 2000 Newmar 38 ft. dp's. One has a Spartan chassis and two have a Freightliner. I did a forum search and read all I could find on S v F and it seems that each type has fans and I couldn't discern a definitive answer about which is better. In looking at a brochure for a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star, it lists the GCWR at 32,400 for the Freightliner and 37,400 for the Spartan which is 5000 pounds difference, which is a lot. I don't see any other major differences in the specs. Is there anything else I need to know about the differences between the two chassis?
Are those figures correct? I realize that's 12 years ago, buy my GVWR alone is 34,600 and GCWR nearly 50k.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Looking at the specs for the 98 MA (which might be fairly similar to this one), there is indeed a 5k lbs in GCWR and the 3126 vs ISC engine diff but as far as CCC, they're within 100 or 200 lbs so it's pretty negligeable between the Freightliner and the Spartan.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
Are those figures correct? I realize that's 12 years ago, buy my GVWR alone is 34,600 and GCWR nearly 50k.
The figures are right - your coach with a tag axle and ISL isn't in the same class as these (I wouldn't be surprised if your coach empty is 4000 or 5000 lbs more then the ones listed above).
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
For those who are interested, here is the link to the brochure I refer to. Go to "specifications" for the figures. http://www.newmarcorp.com/uploads/br...20Brochure.pdf
Old 05-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How much of that 'extra' 5,000 lb gross combined weight is CCC (cargo carry capacity) and how much is attributed to perhaps a heavier chassis? You'll see many threads complaining of the lack of CCC. A few thousand pounds extra is a very valuable thing.
The Spartan Mountain Master typically has a 5000 lb greater tow rating (GCWR) than an equivalent Freightliner, but that contributes nothing to CCC or GVW - it's just 15,000 lb towing vs 10, 000 on the FL.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The Spartan will have a Cummins 315/950 ISC and IFS
The FL will have a CAT 3126 300/850 and straight axle.
I don't know how you can say that without knowing the specific year and model coaches he is looking at. Newmars on Freightliner chassis in the 2000-2003 time frame can have Cummins ISB or ISL engines, or Cat 3126E's. Mountain Aires got the ISL, for example, while the Dutch Star got a 3126E. The front axle may be a Meritor straight I-beam (Kountry Star) or Neway IFS (Dutch Star and Mountain Aire).

There is no inherent difference between Spartan and Freightliner, but FL gives the coach builder many more configuration options, so the chassis can be configured for a lower price than the Spartan IF the builder chooses to do so. Newmar chooses the better components for the Dutch Stars and Mountainaires, so few differences between Spartan and FL in those models. Kountry Stars got the less expensive straight axle, rear radiator, etc. in keeping with the lower price.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
The figures are right - your coach with a tag axle and ISL isn't in the same class as these (I wouldn't be surprised if your coach empty is 4000 or 5000 lbs more then the ones listed above).
Interesting, although I don't have a tag.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 2000 DSDP on FL chassis had a 5,000# tow rating. (as I remember and it has been a few years so I could be wrong)
Our present 2002 DSDP on Spartan has a 6,000# hitch rating although Spartan says I can put the 10,000# hitch on it and have no problems. Since our towed is 4,400#'s and the dolly is another 600#'s I haven't bothered.

Tags
freightliner, newmar, spartan