Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBlue View Post
IFS has been on the DSDP for some time. It's on my 2012.
I think that's great. Doesn't alter my view in a comparison, but magnanimity can be difficult to accept when offered, I guess. I wouldn't walk away from any of the choices mentioned, but found MRUSA's arguments similar for me.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #16

Thankyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
When I was looking in 2013, my choice came down to Mountain Aire and Anthem. At that time, Dutchstar was clearly a notch or two below the Anthem (although it appears to have been been upgraded nicely for 2015). I chose the Anthem for the following reasons.

1. The Anthem basement height was 6 inches taller than the Mountain Aire, making the basement far more spacious.

2. The walkway in the Newmars felt very narrow when the slides were in (travel mode). You had to negotiate an obstacle course when walking from front to rear, with one foot higher than the other due to the edge of the slideout floor being in the way. The Anthem by comparison has a fairly wide, level, unobstructed path from front to back, even with slides in.

3. The 2 year warranty on Entegras. That first year goes by awfully fast.

4. Almost everything was standard on Anthem with many of those items being extra-cost on Mountain Aire . Bottom line pricing was about $40K less on the Anthem, similarly equipped.

5. Spartan Chassis on Entegra vs Freightliner on Newmar DS and MA.

If all things had been equal I would have chosen Newmar for its Comfort Drive, but the items listed above pulled me towards Entegra. I would have liked Comfort Drive, but I must say my Anthem handles like a dream.
I do agree with all these points.. At the moment.. I have test driven the dutchstar and like the comfort drive and layout.I have not test driven the entegra yet so hesitate to compare.. I plan to do just that very soon. The biggest factor in looking at newmar over entegra seems silly .. But wifey MUST HAVE double vanities and bath 1.5..
I'm not certain i can justify $$$ on that point alone. Lol. Jokingly told her it might be cheaper to replace her. I sleep in the garage atm. 😂 thank you for the info.. It's been most helpful. Im the only driver and a few years to the 55 mark..very few. Although comfort drive is sweet.. I'm not sure the entegra will be such a hardship? Will see

Old 08-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #17

They both appear to be quality brands with their own individual high points. Good luck to you.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #18

Lots of changes for Newmar in the 2015 models.

Mountain Aire has a new chassis (Freightliner) with 500 hp ISX, along with taller basement compartments.

Dutch Star got a new roof line and heated floors are now an option.

Newmar is still the only one doing as much customizing as you want.

It's a tough choice between these 2 companies, the custom work is what put us in a Newmar.

Our custom floorplan is now the 4369.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #19

Georgie Boy Owners Club
K3 vs FL

Here is a Marketing mistake that I think Newmar has made and Entegra is benefiting because of it.

Newmar uses the K3 Spartan Chassis with their most expensive Essex and King Aire coaches. But, they put the FL Chassis in the London Aire. Entegra, on the other hand, puts the K3 Spartan Chassis in their Cornerstone.

So to potential customers, the Cornerstone may seem to be the better value since it's using the "better" chassis, the K3. After all, Newmar thinks that is the better chassis. They put it in their top of the line coaches.

So, IMO, the London Aire should be on the K3 as well. A marketing oversight from Newmar.

I look at those two coaches, and I tell myself, either one would be a great coach for fulltiming. But, when I look to finally find a reason to pick the one to buy, I say to myself, the Cornerstone has better bones, the K3. Afterall, even Newmar agrees. I just can't get over that.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
So what are potential customers doing when they compare the Cornerstone to the London Aire. The Cornerstone seems to be the better value since the use the "better" chassis, the K3. After all, Newmar thinks that is the better chassis. They put it in their top of the line coaches.

So, IMO, the London Aire should be on the K3 as well. A marketing oversight from Newmar.

I don't know. LOL It still really boils down to a total package. I like my Spartan chassis but am not married to it. If I was in the new coach market the question is, does EC give me everything I want with limited options/customization or do I need to go to Newmar to "have it my way"?

To be honest, is there such a huge difference between these top line Spartan vs FL chassis? If not, then I am not inclined to call either company's choice an oversight.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Here is a Marketing mistake that I think Newmar has made and Entegra is benefiting because of it.

Newmar puts the K3 Spartan Chassis on their most expensive Essex and King Aire coaches. But, they put the FL Chassis on the London Aire. Entegra, on the other hand, puts the K3 Spartan Chassis on their Cornerstone.

So what are potential customers doing when they compare the Cornerstone to the London Aire. The Cornerstone seems to be the better value since the use the "better" chassis, the K3. After all, Newmar thinks that is the better chassis. They put it in their top of the line coaches.

I look at those two coaches, and I tell myself, either one would be a great coach for fulltiming. But, when I look to finally find a reason to pick the one to buy, I say to myself, the Cornerstone has better bones, the K3. Afterall, even Newmar agrees. I just can't get over that.

I think some research is in order on the Freightliner custom chassis. A lot of assumptions are being thrown around from the FL of the past. Since being purchased by damler its not the same company. I have had in depth converstation with newmar on this. Interesting when they had the LA on the drawing board they submitted their chassis needs to both spartan and FL. Spartan was so slow to react in comparison to FL. They feel the new FL chassis is easily as good or better than the spartan. They also went on to say how the FL customer service was superior. I asked the obvious will they go 100% FL and the answer was no. There are the old diehards that they would lose as customers if the spartan was not available.

Also I dont think the essex is on a K3 its a K2
Old 08-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #22

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
... Also I dont think the essex is on a K3 its a K2
I just double checked. The 2015 Essex seems to be on the K3.

Standard & Optional Features - Newmar

Yes. It's just a perception thing. As a consumer, why would I think that the London Aire FL chassis would be better than the K3, when the K3 is what Newmar puts in their top 2 model coaches?

I think that is going to be a problem for Newmar and the London Aire when competing with the Cornerstone.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #23

Quote:
I just double checked. The 2015 Essex seems to be on the K3.

Standard & Optional Features - Newmar

Yes. It's just a perception thing. As a consumer, why would I think that the London Aire FL chassis would be better than the K3, when the K3 is what Newmar puts in their top 2 model coaches?

I think that is going to be a problem for Newmar and the London Aire when competing with the Cornerstone.
My mistake on the essex and the K3

So far they are hitting it out of the park with the FL. The 2014 essex sales with the FL chassis where steller to say the least even with the Detriot engine which hasnt been in the rv world in a while. Right now they are backed up in production with the FL luxury product/ mountain aire and the LA. If you look closely at some of the specs between the CS k3 and the SLR chassis I think it should speak for its self. Just the basement height alone is a huge difference. With the FL of the past there will be time needed to overcome the past in the customers eyes. Business always cycles and the hungry ones rise to the top. FL is willing to do anything continue the rise in the custom chassis world. The competition is great for all of us in the long run.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Who knows....maybe no one can come up with a good analysis/comparisons of chassis because of the coach on top of it and how that moves direct evidence into the realm of personal preferences.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Who knows....maybe no one can come up with a good analysis/comparisons of chassis because of the coach on top of it and how that moves direct evidence into the realm of personal preferences.
Zen...very Zen.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #26

There are 2 K3 chassis offered by Spartan, the K3 ( Cornerstone and Essex) and the K3GT ( King Aire). You can look at both chassis on the Spartan website and see that there are significant differences.

The K3GT chassis will also be on the upcoming Foretravel Realm which, from what I can see on the MHSRV web site, is taking direct aim at the King Aire.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #27

I have had two Newmar Essex and have found the slide-outs a nightmare in both. I can also say the slide-outs were the least of my problems, particularly in the 2013. I never though any coach could have so many problems. It was in the shop 1/4th of the time I owned it.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #28

Having had my London Aire for just a week or so I will need to get more time in it as far as reliability. I can say I have spent the week doing upgrades. As a result I have been inside lots of hidden places as well as under the dash. The fit and finish is incredible compaired to our anthem. Wiring is labeled and routed nice and tight. Plumbing looks the same. In may experience entegra made lots of little errors I think due to being new in the game. Some you would just look at it and scratch your head. Our LA looks the same in the living area as it does behind panels where most dont see. I can not say that about Entegra. JMHO

Tags
newmar