Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #1

Newmar Vs. Entegra

Hello .. My wife and i are buying our first Rv. For obvious reasons comfort is critical to her and for our 3 small dogs. We are fortunate $$ in the under 400k range is not an issues for us. We are currently researching 2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 vs 2015 Entegra Anthem 43 RBQ ( think the models are correct) Although both coaches appear to be similar in overall construction and quality its my initial observation the slide cog gears and mechanism on Newmar products appears to be superior to entegra? Am i worrying to much about slides and future problems? Also as bang for buck goes... Entegra seems to make options standard as NewMar makes the same alacart?
Any help or info i can get is greatly appreciated..
RRDefector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #2

Both very well built units. Either one is a great choice. We have the before Entegra in Travel Supreme name and would buy an Entegra if we were to buy new.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #3

The Anthem comes with a heated floor, which is not available in the Dutch Star last I checked. Until you've tried a heated floor in the cold, you don't know what you're missing!
Of course for my money, either of those coaches don't hold a candle to a 2008 or newer Country Coach Magna or Affinity!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDefector View Post
Hello .. My wife and i are buying our first Rv. For obvious reasons comfort is critical to her and for our 3 small dogs. We are fortunate $$ in the under 400k range is not an issues for us. We are currently researching 2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 vs 2015 Entegra Anthem 43 RBQ ( think the models are correct) Although both coaches appear to be similar in overall construction and quality its my initial observation the slide cog gears and mechanism on Newmar products appears to be superior to entegra? Am i worrying to much about slides and future problems? Also as bang for buck goes... Entegra seems to make options standard as NewMar makes the same alacart?
Any help or info i can get is greatly appreciated..
You'll be happy with either. Newmar folks tout the Comfort Drive. Have a friend who recently drove it (owns an Anthem), and really liked it. Anthem has IFS and is a pretty comfortable drive as well. Fit and finish similar. Entegra - most are standard features that you select with Newmar...that has some resale/trade perspective (at least what a former Newmar sales person told me), but I don't pay to much attention to that. What it does do is tend to make an equivalent coach more expensive.

I've been to both factories. Build and fit and finish are similar. If I were comparing, I'd compare the Mountain Aire to the Anthem (which is what I did two years ago). More recently, I compared new London Aire to Cornerstone and chose Cornerstone. If you are a new buyer and can afford in the low $400s, you may want to look there. Note, you are buying somewhere between 26-30% off MSRP, which puts both of these squarely in your roundhouse and both are a lot more coach. I like Entegras 2 year bumper to bumper warrantee and the customer service folks at Entegra, but again, think Newmar is comparable.

Bottom line, you'll be happy with either. Good luck in your search.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #5

Thank you all!!!!

Than you guys for taking the time to respond.. Fantastic information here. Very happy to be a member. The Missus is getting more comfy also... Big plus
RRDefector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The absolute must have rule is "I like the layout best on this one." Those words spoken by your wife of course.

Another thing I would suggest is renting an RV for a week or so. You will soon discover things you like and things you don't like.

You can then factor those things into your purchase decision.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
You'll be happy with either. Newmar folks tout the Comfort Drive. Have a friend who recently drove it (owns an Anthem), and really liked it. Anthem has IFS and is a pretty comfortable drive as well. Fit and finish similar. Entegra - most are standard features that you select with Newmar...that has some resale/trade perspective (at least what a former Newmar sales person told me), but I don't pay to much attention to that. What it does do is tend to make an equivalent coach more expensive.

I've been to both factories. Build and fit and finish are similar. If I were comparing, I'd compare the Mountain Aire to the Anthem (which is what I did two years ago). More recently, I compared new London Aire to Cornerstone and chose Cornerstone. If you are a new buyer and can afford in the low $400s, you may want to look there. Note, you are buying somewhere between 26-30% off MSRP, which puts both of these squarely in your roundhouse and both are a lot more coach. I like Entegras 2 year bumper to bumper warrantee and the customer service folks at Entegra, but again, think Newmar is comparable.

Bottom line, you'll be happy with either. Good luck in your search.
Your comments would lead one to believe that only the Anthem has IFS. The Dutch Star has IFS as well
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #8

Agree with comparing the Mountain Aire instead of the Dutch Star, for more Apples to Apples. Both coaches have good reputations. Longer warranty on the Entegra is a plus.

And, I'm also a fan of 'buying your last coach first' approach. For the budget range you have identified, I'm also a fan of moving up the food chain, and buying a used coach. Some ideas include the mentioned Country Coaches but also look over Foretravel, and even used Newells or Prevost conversions fall into that budget range. As good as the Newmar and Entegra coaches are, the higher end coaches are that much better. Both on construction, material choices, and engine/chassis, etc. choices.

My other thought, is dropping down years to remain in budget range while obtaining the higher end quality coaches. Should drop you to pre DEF coaches. I like the ISM, BIG CAT and Detroits that are pre DEF (CAT is not longer doing over the road engines, so that simplifies the no DEF concern with those engines!.

You can add an extended warranty into the deal on a used coach, and have longer coverage then you will with a manufacturer warranty. Plus, if save some funds out of that budget, you can customise and update anything to exactly what you two want. Where as moach new coaches are not as flexible on making mod's to your specific needs.

5 years down the road, the depreciation hit on a 2006-2008 say coach, will be less than the hit of buying new.

But, while it is not my choice - no problem getting a new coach too, as it's your cash and that is the wonderful thing about RV'ing. You get to make the choices!!!

Best of luck on your hunt,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #9

We have been researching both coaches for a while now for what our next unit will be. We have visited both the Entegra factory (once before their expansion and once after) and the Newmar factory. The construction of the two brands are very similar as is the quality.

Prior to the 2015 model year I would have said that the Dutch Star was about halfway between the Entegra Aspire and the Anthem. Now I would put the Dutch Star more closely to the Anthem. Comparing the two coaches side by side would show the Anthem with the fireplace and heated floor standard and with a two year warranty. The Dutch Star on the other hand has the Comfort Drive and much easier to change floor plan to suit your particular needs. I believe the heated floor is an available option in the Dutch Star. Seems like I saw it for around $6,000.

Prior to the Tampa RV Show in January I would have told you that an Entegra was definitely in our future. Now we are leaning much more toward the Dutch Star. Our reasons are that we need to sleep at least four comfortably and we want a booth. Entegra does not have a floor plan that fits our needs. We also wanted a TV across from the couch, not at the end of the coach. We just didn't like the idea of those on the couch having to turn their heads to see the TV. Add to that the bath and a half and we now find ourselves pretty sure that we will be going with the Dutch Star 4369 with the bar and two swivel stools. The pure livability of the floor plan is the single biggest factor that puts us in the Dutch Star camp where we had been a probably customer of Entegra.

Either choice is an excellent one but it does come down to what will come the closest to fitting your particular needs for both the short and the long term. Enjoy your search.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBlue View Post
Your comments would lead one to believe that only the Anthem has IFS. The Dutch Star has IFS as well
Don't follow specifics with Dutch Star, but point well taken...not sure that was the case in 2013. In any event, I was trying to suggest Comfort Drive with Newmar is a plus, but I had found that the Anthem with its IFS was a very comfortable drive...and believe me, I've done a couple "iron backside" days in my Anthem.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Newmar will make many changes that are not listed as options (specials).

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDefector View Post
its my initial observation the slide cog gears and mechanism on Newmar products appears to be superior to entegra? Am i worrying to much about slides and future problems?

Newmar actually invented the power slide-out......and were also the first manufacturer to have flat-floor slide-outs.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
When I was looking in 2013, my choice came down to Mountain Aire and Anthem. At that time, Dutchstar was clearly a notch or two below the Anthem (although it appears to have been been upgraded nicely for 2015). I chose the Anthem for the following reasons.

1. The Anthem basement height was 6 inches taller than the Mountain Aire, making the basement far more spacious.

2. The walkway in the Newmars felt very narrow when the slides were in (travel mode). You had to negotiate an obstacle course when walking from front to rear, with one foot higher than the other due to the edge of the slideout floor being in the way. The Anthem by comparison has a fairly wide, level, unobstructed path from front to back, even with slides in.

3. The 2 year warranty on Entegras. That first year goes by awfully fast.

4. Almost everything was standard on Anthem with many of those items being extra-cost on Mountain Aire . Bottom line pricing was about $40K less on the Anthem, similarly equipped.

5. Spartan Chassis on Entegra vs Freightliner on Newmar DS and MA.

If all things had been equal I would have chosen Newmar for its Comfort Drive, but the items listed above pulled me towards Entegra. I would have liked Comfort Drive, but I must say my Anthem handles like a dream.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Don't follow specifics with Dutch Star, but point well taken...not sure that was the case in 2013. In any event, I was trying to suggest Comfort Drive with Newmar is a plus, but I had found that the Anthem with its IFS was a very comfortable drive...and believe me, I've done a couple "iron backside" days in my Anthem.
IFS has been on the DSDP for some time. It's on my 2012.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar