Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #29

Both manufactures are good. But personally ordering a new motorhome today is pretty much a gamble. You may get a good one, or you may get a p.o.s..
I would buy used, at least you know the history, and on specific models their problem areas.
Just had a friend buy a new rv and let's just say it's a top name brand, and after two weeks it's had several major problems.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
And that top name brand starts with the letter --?

Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #31

Nope, you can't get me to say the name. As soon as you do everybody jumps in on those issues, and that's a disservice to the op. What is a known fact that no matter who the manufacturer is you are taking somewhat of a gamble.
If you do decide to go new, do not leave the dealership where you made the purchase for months. Because as soon as you do it's jump in line and wait for weeks to get service anywhere else.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
No disrespect to you here....but actually I AM trying to be fair to the OP.

If the manufacturer starts with N, those issues that exist should be talked about as much as those with the manufacturer starting with W. Then the OP is informed both ways.....this thread is about both brands W & N. If your friend's coach is any other brand then I agree, leave it out.

I agree with your analysis of issues across the board. I believe the failure rate amongst most all brands is close to equal on average. However, fit and finish are not, and not consistent either.

With best regards,
W.D.

PS- I love both W's and N's! [emoji1][emoji41]
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #33

So we just purchased a new Tiffin gasser in January. We live in California and travel frequently over mountain passes and in the Sierras. I've had zero issues with a properly powered gasser, and we've always been happy with the performance of our engines. Our Allegro is very quiet, and we are not at the point where we want or need a DP. YMMV

That said, I went with Tiffin, but when I was shopping my list went like this 1. Tiffin 2. Newmar 3. Winnie. I ruled out the Winnie because in the length and floor plan we wanted, we felt both Tiffin and Newmar just had better specs, better interior finishes, etc., and the Winnie was only a ver small amount less. I went with Tiffin because I liked the interior design better than Newmar and we could get the larger 24k chassis.

If I was choosing between Newmar and Winnie, personally I would go with the Newmar.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
No disrespect to you here....but actually I AM trying to be fair to the OP.

If the manufacturer starts with N, those issues that exist should be talked about as much as those with the manufacturer starting with W. Then the OP is informed both ways.....this thread is about both brands W & N. If your friend's coach is any other brand then I agree, leave it out.

I agree with your analysis of issues across the board. I believe the failure rate amongst most all brands is close to equal on average. However, fit and finish are not, and not consistent either.

With best regards,
W.D.

PS- I love both W's and N's! [emoji1][emoji41]

No disrespect taken.
From what I've seen fit and finish can also be different in the exact make and model.
Manufactures now build in 10 to 15k on the price just for warranty repairs.
Like I said Newmar, and Winne are both good choices, but you can get a bad one in either brand.
I am a detail oriented person, and I've been in the market for a new one for three years now, until things change, I'll keep driving my older rv.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Looked at both Winne and Newmar and made our choice based on the following:

Floor Plan - More living area in 1 1/2 bath newmar than winne
Options - Really wanted a dishwasher - Winne had no option at the time
Options - Stacked washer/dryer
Price - Pretty much a wash
Quality - Newmar offered Solid wood cabinets and seemed slightly better.
Dealer - Nearest (and turned out to be great) didn't sell Winne's anymore.

Out of all the above it turns out that Floor Plan and Dealer where the most important of them all. Not that there were any major issues (not yet anyway in the last 20000 miles and 2 years), but dealer is phenomenal about everything and for multi-week trips (still not retired) Floor Plan is critical.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #36

I owned an Adventurer years ago and was pleased with it. My son started with a 2012 42' Itasca from Winnebago. They were terrible when he needed service and a modification to the heating system. In 2013, they made the change to the new models because of the problem, but refused to cover his. He traded for a 2015 Mountain Aire that was great in quality. But when the 2016's came out, he wanted the passive tag steering and the flat floor on the full wall slide. He traded and stepped into a big mistake. 40+ items to fix/repair and three trips back to the factory, but Newmar stepped up and took care of everything including coming to get the coach and return it the third time. Every manufacturer has put out some coaches with problems that should have been caught. Our Tiffin had very few minor issues when new that the dealer corrected. three years and 40,000 miles later and no problems.

In light of what I have learned through my own and my sons experience, between the two, Newmar is a far better quality coach. They are quicker to respond to the buyers needs and build a better product that is quieter and easier to heat and cool. I'm happy with our Tiffin, but wish it was as well insulated as a Newmar.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:24 PM   #37

Hard for any typical laminated wall in any coach to have better insulation than Entegra and Newmar. Hung wall has more space for insulation couple that with a better insulated floor for both hard to beat.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, winnebago