Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #1

Next item...space heater

We're going on a 10 day Christmas trip and will be in a CG. We will have 50amp service. Our dual Coleman overhead ducked heating system works fairly well but my wife like its toasty. I have read other posts for insulating tips and will be using plastic over all the inside windows but would like to also get a nice space heater that we'd put in the galley, point it towards the bedroom and let it blow that way.

So thinking out loud here concerning the available 50amp:
• approx. 28-30amps goes to the Colemans at night
• 8amps or so to a heated blanket
• 8-10amps to a space heater

So with that approx. power draw, yet a heater large enough with a good fan to blow towards the bedroom can anyone suggest a proven space heater that they have used?

Thanks everyone.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

Decide if you want a radiator or a heater with a fan to direct heat. Other than that, there isn't much effective difference...
Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Decide if you want a radiator or a heater with a fan to direct heat. Other than that, there isn't much effective difference...
Hummm....is there an advantage one over the other? I've never owned either one before. I've always relied on sexy male patterned thermo underwear. But now I'm married.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a 50 amp service in your coach it is 240 volt. You have 2 legs of 50 amp each so you have a 100 amps to draw on. Do your Coleman units have heat strips or are they heat pumps. If they are heat pumps they will only work to about 40 F.

I moved to Upper Michigan in March of 2011 and lived in my coach. Pretty cold at night and I only had 2 20 amp circuits so I ran 1 heater in the basement and 1 in the living area.

If you don't mind the noise of a fan get a good ceramic heater. If you don't like the noise get a radiant type heater.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Hum....what's the difference?
Based on your initial post in this thread, I'd say you've already made your choice. The radiant heater doesn't have a fan, it simply 'radiates' heat. It sounds as though you (or your wife) want the heat actually blown into the bedroom - if that's the case then a radiant heater isn't for you.
Both will warm the coach, but only one with a fan will actually blow the warm in a specific direction.
A radiant heater will also be mostly silent (except the creaking as it warms and cools), if noise is an issue.

Personally I like to sleep in a cool room (under nice warm blankets), so a radiant heater in the living area is great for me. The bedroom is cool, but the main area is warm when you get up.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I prefer a oil filled heater. Quiet and no red glow to have to look at when in bed
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #7

Just purchased and used ceramic oscillating tower heater over Thanksgiving. Temps in low 30's in Hot Springs. Kept nice at night,also thermostatically controlled. Saves propane too!
lp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #8

We have a Dyson and like it a lot, but it's costly. No exposed blades or heating elements, it oscillates, tilts, has a HEPA filter, tip over switch, and variable fan speeds controlled by the thermostat. Doesn't take up a lot of floor space and operates much quieter than any other that I have run across. Costco has these and you can always return it if you don't like it for any reason.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #9
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
If you have a 50 amp service in your coach it is 240 volt. You have 2 legs of 50 amp each so you have a 100 amps to draw on. Do your Coleman units have heat strips or are they heat pumps. If they are heat pumps they will only work to about 40 F.

I moved to Upper Michigan in March of 2011 and lived in my coach. Pretty cold at night and I only had 2 20 amp circuits so I ran 1 heater in the basement and 1 in the living area.

If you don't mind the noise of a fan get a good ceramic heater. If you don't like the noise get a radiant type heater.

240V? I thought all RV 50A were 110V. Someone smarter than me please chime in.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Based on your initial post in this thread, I'd say you've already made your choice. The radiant heater doesn't have a fan, it simply 'radiates' heat. It sounds as though you (or your wife) want the heat actually blown into the bedroom - if that's the case then a radiant heater isn't for you.
Both will warm the coach, but only one with a fan will actually blow the warm in a specific direction.
A radiant heater will also be mostly silent (except the creaking as it warms and cools), if noise is an issue.

Personally I like to sleep in a cool room (under nice warm blankets), so a radiant heater in the living area is great for me. The bedroom is cool, but the main area is warm when you get up.
OP here...well I said blow towards the bedroom because I don't know any better. Never owned anything like this before. But now that I'm reading all these different kinds of warmers/heaters I'm definitely open. I don't mind spending the money for something that's nice and will work well. I'm done with cheap solutions "FOR ANYTHING".

So let me put it this way. Which type do you think will make the coach—overall—toasty warm? If we were to get a radiant heater that doesn't have a fan, maybe moving it to say the center of the main coach area, point it towards the bedroom and that radiating heat would be enough. Or, if we got a heater with a fan and put it more to the front say by the captain chairs and blow towards the bedroom, maybe that distance would take care of the noise issue but I'm afraid that would be to far away to help the bedroom area. Your thoughts?

Oh one more thing...we have a small dog too.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Answer to the other question: Our Colemans have both options, gas heat or electric heat pumps. What we'd like to do is run them on electric (save the propane) and then use this space heater we're looking for as a supplement.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #11
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

Western New York

This is a great link about RV electric. http://www.myrv.us/electric/
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp1957 View Post
Just purchased and used ceramic oscillating tower heater over Thanksgiving. Temps in low 30's in Hot Springs. Kept nice at night,also thermostatically controlled. Saves propane too!
Can you give me a link or description of this model please?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
We have a Dyson and like it a lot, but it's costly. No exposed blades or heating elements, it oscillates, tilts, has a HEPA filter, tip over switch, and variable fan speeds controlled by the thermostat. Doesn't take up a lot of floor space and operates much quieter than any other that I have run across. Costco has these and you can always return it if you don't like it for any reason.
Can you give me a link, description or model# of this model please?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post

Western New York

240V but split at the pole. For your use, 2-120V, 50A circuits.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, ems, heat, heater