Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Nexus Bentley: Wet sand and buff option

Hi, I will soon be buying my first motorhome and I am seriously considering the Nexus Bentley. One thing I'm a little confused about. I see that one of the options is: Wet sand and buff +($1,995).

Is this normal industry practice, to make wet sanding and buffing the paint as an option? If this is an important step in getting a good finish on the vehicle, one would think they would never sell any of their motorhomes that were not first wet sanded and buffed, even if they have to tack the $1,995 onto the base price.

Has anyone seen a motorhome that was painted and clear coated without being sanded and buffed, and then seen it after it had been sanded and buffed? If so, what's the difference in they way that it looks? What's the difference, over time, for a motorhome paint job that has or has not been wet sanded and buffed?

It sounds like something that I want to have done. I just find it peculiar that it is an option rather than standard operating procedure. Thanks
New Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Most coaches in that price range are painted and clear coated which gives a decent shine. Wet sand and buff is a lot of additional labor which should give you an extra coat of clear coat and then buff out giving you a superior shine. If you really want to show off that new coach, go for it.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I just don't the the value at that price point for the brand let alone the options.

I would keep shopping.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Most coaches in that price range are painted and clear coated which gives a decent shine. Wet sand and buff is a lot of additional labor which should give you an extra coat of clear coat and then buff out giving you a superior shine. If you really want to show off that new coach, go for it.
Well, when you put it that way, I guess it's something I probably don't want. I don't really want to show it off. I was thinking more along the lines that it would stay shiny without having to wax it as often. Just wash off the desert dust and you're good to go!

So then it's like the difference between a factory paint job on a car and the highly polished look you get after buffing the hell out of a show car. But you don't drive a show car all over the country, like you do a motorhome, so the wet sand and buff seems unnecessary. Thanks! Cheers.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I just don't the the value at that price point for the brand let alone the options.

I would keep shopping.
What, specifically, do you see as the downsides of the Bentley?
Old 11-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Put a coach with a good finish, including clear coat, next to one that has been "cut and buffed" and the difference will be obvious.

Yes, the shine will be far superior, but it will also be easier to clean and keep clean. The less porous the surface, the harder it is for contaminants to stick, the easier it is to clean them off. If resale is of any concern to you, which do you think will show better to a potential buyer.

I think $2k is a bargain for getting this done on something of this size.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Put a coach with a good finish, including clear coat, next to one that has been "cut and buffed" and the difference will be obvious.

Yes, the shine will be far superior, but it will also be easier to clean and keep clean. The less porous the surface, the harder it is for contaminants to stick, the easier it is to clean them off. If resale is of any concern to you, which do you think will show better to a potential buyer.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, that it would be easier to maintain because the buffed surface would perhaps be harder and less porous. So is that what you had done to your coach when it was new? (Sorry if any of my questions sound dumb). I'm brand new at this and want to learn as much as I can before I purchase. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
What, specifically, do you see as the downsides of the Bentley?
Number one is resale value on a small brand, I've been shopping and have not seen much on these at all.

Interesting read here

How many units have they sold this year?

When I look at other brands that normally discount at 25% + or -, this coach looks more expensive. Not more bang for the buck.

I did not see anything wrong with the coach in their 30 min video.

Look at Holiday Rambler, Newmar, tiffin etc. at what you can get after discount for same money in fact in some cases a larger coach for less.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Number one is resale value on a small brand, I've been shopping and have not seen much on these at all.

Interesting read here

How many units have they sold this year?

When I look at other brands that normally discount at 25% + or -, this coach looks more expensive. Not more bang for the buck.

I did not see anything wrong with the coach in their 30 min video.

Look at Holiday Rambler, Newmar, tiffin etc. at what you can get after discount for same money in fact in some cases a larger coach for less.
Yeah, I've been checking out a lot of different brands online, and it all starts to get a little confusing after awhile. I don't really want a bigger coach than 35 ft because anything bigger than that seems to really limit where you can stay in them, in regard to state and national parks, etc.

There is a Newmar Ventana LE 3436 that I have been looking at, and with a 25% or so "discount" off the MSRP, it puts it in the neighborhood of the Bentley. I really like everything about it, particularly the Comfort Drive. But then they cut corners in other ways, compared to the Bentley: no fiberglass roof (BriteTEK instead), no aluminum wheels (chrome wheel simulators), only a 1200 Watt modified sine wave inverter compared to a 2000 Watt pure sine wave inverter, etc. Plus I was a little concerned about the full wall slide out, with all of the problems people are having with them. But it looks like Newmar designed a new system for the 2016 models that is apparently chain driven, which looks a lot stronger in their YT video (gets rid of the carpet, too, at least on the full wall slide). So I guess I still have a lot of homework to do. Tiffin looks really good to me. But I have to investigate their pros and cons a little further. I was also considering a Winnebago, until I read this: Winnebago – No Sale of Special Ordered Coach – Lack of Build Quality | Outside Our Bubble. Hard to believe Winnebago could drop the ball this badly, considering how many people swear by them.

Anyway, thanks for the input! I still have a lot of homework to do, needless to say. All the best!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #10

MY O MY Welcome to corp america...... Ive been building cars and painting cars for almost 30 yrs..... I would always cut and buff with some of the finest paper up to 2 micron glass finish... But thats a show car. I cannot believe a company would actually ask, do you want it wet sanded and buffed.... but then again yes I do because someone said hey lets charge extra for a show finish. But the fact of the matter is there are HVLP out there that are very high priced spray guns, not only that but there are Clear coats out there that with proper painting you will not even want to touch that paint with paper. With that being said. If it has some orange peel I say go for it. Its funny how someone needs to pay extra for everything we buy, I just bought a new printer, and had to buy a USB cord to hook up to computer, go figure.
pro_coupe 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post

I didn't even bother reading the rest of the answers after this one. This one is right on. I've painted cars, jeeps, motorcycles etc. and a "cut 'n' buff" paint job is WELL WORTH the extra cost. It's phenomenally smoother and more refined. And, just like what Monroe stated, the smoother the surface, the less sticks to it and, the more it fights the elements etc. Ours is a cut'n'buff coach and, it's 11 years old and we constantly get nice comments on it due to folks thinking it's brand new.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

That's just one of Nexus' tricks to low-ball the price. "Oh, you want it painted properly? Well, we charge an extra $1995 for that..."

Psheesh! I would not buy from a company that takes tricky and sub-standard short cuts like that. Where else did they skimp and not even give me the option to pay for doing the job right?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That's just one of Nexus' tricks to low-ball the price. "Oh, you want it painted properly? Well, we charge an extra $1995 for that..."

Psheesh! I would not buy from a company that takes tricky and sub-standard short cuts like that. Where else did they skimp and not even give me the option to pay for doing the job right?
That's what I was thinking, at first, at least until I read this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/cut-...ss-234149.html Now I'm starting to think that it may be the industry standard for manufacturers not to cut and buff the paint on their coaches, except perhaps for a couple of the highest end coaches in their lines.

Apparently that's what Newmar is doing; only cutting and buffing their highest end models. Even if you want to pay them to do it, like one guy in the thread wanted his new Dutch Star cut and buffed, they won't. Newmar told him that they just didn't have the man power cut and buff all of their coaches. Which is why I think most if not all of the manufacturers may be "skipping" the cut and buff process, because the procedure is so labor intensive.

So now I'm thinking that Nexus is doing the right thing by being open and honest about it and offering it as an option. Another guy in the above thread says that Newmar is really secretive about their painting process, which seems even more shady to me. Are they trying to hide the fact that they do way better paint jobs on their highest end coaches? Why not just bet open about it, like Nexus?

Anyway, if I go with the Nexus, I'm definitely going to have it done because of what JMonroe and Fire Up had to say. It helps keep the motorhome looking shiny and new for years and years - like the highest end Newmars! (Just don't ask Newmar to cut and buff your "lower end" model coach. They can't be bothered. LOL!) Cheers.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #14

Our Suncruiser was sanded and buffed completely,,, I couldn't believe it, but the finish is fantastic,,, better than a lot of new cars I have seen. Like others, I think it strange that it is even offered as an option. We sanded and buffed every job that went out the door,,, was just SOP to give the best possible job.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote