Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #99

Congrats Will,

Must have felt pretty good pulling out of the factory in your new home!!

Now all you are required to do is keep us all welll informed of the nitty gritty details of your trip. After all it is your shake-down cruise!!!

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 06:34 AM   #100

.....In Kansas now......as I said, it's a good drive....quiet and comfortable. Right now I am a problem with the generator not starting which I consider to be the heart of a MH.....the ultimate back up.....it's not that we need it but I am checking systems periodicly to see if the earthquake syndrome that motor homes go though is being effected so the shake down as it were continues. Stuff is going to happen and while it's going to be at times frustrating my wife and I absolutely know what we signed up for in all that full timing has to offer....the good and the bad.

WDK

Old 09-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #101

How is your diesel level? The generator will not operate below a certain level in your diesel tank.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #102

Sorry to hear about the generator. How does it handle when you are passed by rigs?

Jim
Old 09-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
How is your diesel level? The generator will not operate below a certain level in your diesel tank.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
.....I am on my jacks perfectly level....what ever happened, happened some where in 700 mile trip to Kansas....visiting family and don't have as much time to troubleshoot it but I am trying to work in a plan to stop at one of their service centers on the way back heading towards California.

WDK
Old 09-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #104

.....honestly, coming from my gas 30 footer weighing about 18,000 pounds......I was caught a little off guard while Inwas talking to my wife and I was holding the steering wheel with one hand and did not feel a thing....its a small 28,000 lbs....in my gas....I always had to "clutch" the wheel with both hands and be ready for the wash.

WDK
Old 09-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
.....I am on my jacks perfectly level....what ever happened, happened some where in 700 mile trip to Kansas....visiting family and don't have as much time to troubleshoot it but I am trying to work in a plan to stop at one of their service centers on the way back heading towards California.

WDK

By level he means do you have over 1/4 tank full. Most rigs are set up not to start generator if you are close to or below that level.
jsquareg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:57 PM   #106

.....oh yes I am full, 100 gallons.....I know if its below a quarter of a tank it won't start as to make you can get somewhere to fill up, however that's not to say the sensor isn't off and it thinks there is only a quarter of a tank.

WDK
Old 09-14-2015, 01:20 AM   #107

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
.....oh yes I am full, 100 gallons.....I know if its below a quarter of a tank it won't start as to make you can get somewhere to fill up, however that's not to say the sensor isn't off and it thinks there is only a quarter of a tank.

WDK
Unless Nexus does it totally different than any other manufacturer, it's not a sensor that detects the level in the tank... it's the location of the pickup hose that feeds diesel to the generator. It's located 1/4 of the way up the fuel tank wall, so no fuel can be used by the genny if the tank gets below that level... as you say, so that you can have enough fuel to drive to somewhere to get more fuel.

And as you've said... ANY new coach is going to have bugs to iron out. That, unfortunately, seems to be a requirement... no matter how well it's built OR how much you've paid. Hope you don't encounter anything too serious. And keep enjoying the drive!
Old 09-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
Unless Nexus does it totally different than any other manufacturer, it's not a sensor that detects the level in the tank... it's the location of the pickup hose that feeds diesel to the generator. It's located 1/4 of the way up the fuel tank wall, so no fuel can be used by the genny if the tank gets below that level... as you say, so that you can have enough fuel to drive to somewhere to get more fuel.

And as you've said... ANY new coach is going to have bugs to iron out. That, unfortunately, seems to be a requirement... no matter how well it's built OR how much you've paid. Hope you don't encounter anything too serious. And keep enjoying the drive!
I am pretty sure NeXus does the fuel line to the generator the same way....thanks for pointing that out....I can look in other directions at least until I can get it to a NeXus authorized service center.

Short of that diesel stopping it's hum, getting the defects taken care of, fixing them myself etc is labor of love. The honeymoon period to them showing their ugly faces is just that as in buying anything motorized but if I can't fix it....we have the warranty and a 5 year extended warranty.

Right now I am the talk of my old neighborhood. The Bentley really stands out.

WDK
Old 09-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #109

Hi Will,
Just curious if you've spoken with Nexus and if so, what was their reaction to the glitches.

Jim
Old 09-15-2015, 06:38 AM   #110

I will give them a call this morning....if it's something simple and they walk me through it that would be just great. I have been plugged in with family so it has not been a big issue. Now that I am back on the road....we can make it back without the gen set as we will be stopping in a few parks to plug in for that hot shower. The AC has not been a problem because of how chilly this part of the country is and I can always press a button to turn on the inverter to watch a little TV after a long day driving.....but believe me, I will get on them....they are good....but not perfect so I will be pushing them more in that direction with problems I incurr.

WDK
Old 09-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #111

Looks to me like any mfg. should have a final inspection which includes putting a tech in the coach and telling him to take it camping for a couple of days. A lot of this stuff would be caught before the customer has to deal with it. I wouldn't mind taking delivery with 2-3 hundred miles on it.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #112

Quote:
The AC has not been a problem because of how chilly this part of the country is and I can always press a button to turn on the inverter to watch a little TV after a long day driving.....but believe me, I will get on them....they are good....but not perfect so I will be pushing them more in that direction with problems I incurr.

WDK
Hi Will,
It might be worth cranking the heat way up (when you get home) and then turning the AC on at it's lowest setting to see if it at least "blows cold". Better to find out if it works now rather than when you really need it. Hopefully the genertor issue will turn out to be something simple. Overall it sounds like you are having a fairly good shakedown cruise. Congrats again.
Jim

Tags
diesel