Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #15
EU2000 and extended run tanks vs onan 4/ 5K without AC - sure no question the honda is cheaper.

Im a big fan of the hondas and when I use my toy hauler with my gasoline truck its much cheaper to run than my Onan 4K. (way cheaper than a 5K) until you put a moderate load on it.

It isn't cheaper to run than my diesel genset though, and with its relatively short time between oil changes, valve adjustment and timing belts comparatively- I'll just run the diesel genset when using my motorhome.

burbling along at a few hundred watts they are pretty quiet- running at rated load of 1600 watts not only is it noisy, I get less than 4 hours per gallon MORE than the diesel consumption wise and way more needy in terms of maintenance.

Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I was just involved in a discussion similar to this on another forum. I use the same Honda to power a smart charger to recharge the six house batteries in our motorhome when we are dry camping in the desert. It is so much quieter and so much more economical than the big 10 KW diesel one on the coach. I have dry camped with others that do the same. One guy with a 30+ year old Blue Bird just fills it in the evening and lets it run till empty. He never has to use his 5.5 KW except for the AC. We pull an enclosed trailer, so I just set the Honda up 75' away from us and it runs for 8 hours on .9 gallon. Simple and quiet. :-)

Can you share the brand and model of smart charger you use?

BubbaHut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #17
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 5000 watt generator on that rear hitch mount. I bought it one summer when the Onan was vapor locking due to pavement heat and shutting down the AC. I've gone through an RV or two since then, but still use it.

Why? Because it costs about $600 and the Onan costs $4000. Sure, we'll still run the Onan - pulling into camp or somewhere noise sensitive, but if I'm going to be on the highway for 8 hours, I run that generator in back..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #18
Gerryl, yes I would like his email pls.
Thank you. Mydetarwork@gmail.com
Hcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #19
National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
His phone # is 541 516-1111. His email is bruce_hadfield@hotmail.com. I think he is located in the state of Washington. You will need to tell him what make, model and year of the generator. The reason for this is that he places the gas line on the cap accordingly (eg: Honda old style cap or the new larger one). He also needs to know what size gas line you are splicing into. He will also need to know what length of line you want from the splice to the generator.

I found that I had to place my generator on the ground to get it to feed properly, so I didn't really need the rack on the back, I could have put it into one of the bays, but I wanted the rack to carry an extra cooler also.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Yamaha portable generator.

How do you plug it in to feed the RV a/c?
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
"rvjimzhr".....A Honda 1000 or any 1000 unit generally isn't enough to power a battery charger. A coach charger draws too many amps for the small unit.

If you were to use the small charger cables that come with the unit, you could charge your batteries, but it would take forever.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #22
National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Yamaha portable generator.

How do you plug it in to feed the RV a/c?

Alpha99, I plug the shore power plug into the Honda and if I have to run the AC, I plug into the onboard Gen and shut the Honda off.

Gerry & Pat
2000 National Sea Breeze 1340
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote

generator, inverter, motorhome