Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nifty way to run a Honda or Yamaha inverter Generator from your motorhome.

I have been a fan of the Inverter generators since they came out. They are the quietest most economical Generators on the market. I run my entire hunting camp on one. Nine hours per gallon. I bought a motorhome last year and had to run the onboard generator for several days. (5500 Generac) I was amazed at the amount of gas that it used.
At my camp we use an ‘extend a tank’. It holds an extra 5 gallons and the EU2000 sucks the gas from it before running out. Run time with it is about 3 ½ days. I found a guy who made me a quality hookup that allows me to draw right from my onboard gas tank. He made the aluminum cap, the proper hookup and the “T” for my gas line for a little over $100.
Last week I didn’t have to run the AC and just used the Honda for 5 days. Worked like a charm. I probably saved the price of the hookup. I already had the generator. I could have put the generator in one of the bays, but made this rack so I could also carry an extra cooler. I did find that I had to put the generator on the ground to get it to feed properly.
Just thought this might be of interest to someone, If so, I can post this guy’s e-mail. He has some health issues and only does this part time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140602_152555.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	64759  
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

I was just involved in a discussion similar to this on another forum. I use the same Honda to power a smart charger to recharge the six house batteries in our motorhome when we are dry camping in the desert. It is so much quieter and so much more economical than the big 10 KW diesel one on the coach. I have dry camped with others that do the same. One guy with a 30+ year old Blue Bird just fills it in the evening and lets it run till empty. He never has to use his 5.5 KW except for the AC. We pull an enclosed trailer, so I just set the Honda up 75' away from us and it runs for 8 hours on .9 gallon. Simple and quiet. :-)
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I probably wouldn't spend the $1100 on another generator while my Onan 7500 is still running well. One thing I did decide though. I've seen many posts on hear about $4000 electronic boards and other very expensive parts to repair these Onan Gennys when they go bad. I will for sure just have the Onan removed and carry around 2 of the Honda units and pair them together when I need the 30 amps.
They are only 46lbs, and can easily be moved anywhere.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #4

I use two honda 2000's wired togeather for the AC or just one if that's all I need.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #5

Have used the eu's since they came out. I only run the onan when i use the microwave. it runs the 2000 a little harder than i like. I figure it needs to be ran a little anyway. We don't go inside till its dark so one tank lasts the whole weekend. Pays for itself in gas savings!
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would kind of like a Yahama EF-1200i (A true 1000 watt unit) for battery charging, alas the Honda 1000 won't touch it.

What Id really like is my Genrac 1000, a tank of gas is enough to charge 'em up but.. It grew legs and walked off.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I would kind of like a Yahama EF-1200i (A true 1000 watt unit) for battery charging, alas the Honda 1000 won't touch it.

What Id really like is my Genrac 1000, a tank of gas is enough to charge 'em up but.. It grew legs and walked off.
Yep, I have a cable that I use to lock it to the trailer or to a tree if I want to get the sound further away. Coyotes don't steal generators, so we're pretty safe in the desert.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
If you look close at the picture I posted, you will see the metal theft guard over the handle. The one design flaw that the EU2000s have is that the plastic handle can be cut very easily. $40 bucks at camping world.
My brother lost a brand new EU2000 at the Richmond Nascar race. His lock was cut and from then on he only used the round locks. They are designed so that you can't get a bolt cutter in there very easily.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #9

WA8YXM are you saying the Honda 1000w unit won't do a good job of charging your house batts? Why is that? How many do you have? I have 4 6v house batts and 2 12v chassis batts and was thinking of this Honda unit as a much less expensive way to charge them while boondocking. I have an Onan 7KW diesel unit but besides being too loud, it's too expensive. I want the Onan strictly for emergencies and backup. Thoughts?
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #10

U se a Yamaha EF2000iS, quiet and works extremely well and barely sips the gas. I secure it with a 3/4" stranded covered cable with built in lock attached to the hitch reciever. It kept my Harleys from getting stolen and now keeps the generator secure.
Attached Images

Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post
WA8YXM are you saying the Honda 1000w unit won't do a good job of charging your house batts? Why is that? How many do you have? I have 4 6v house batts and 2 12v chassis batts and was thinking of this Honda unit as a much less expensive way to charge them while boondocking. I have an Onan 7KW diesel unit but besides being too loud, it's too expensive. I want the Onan strictly for emergencies and backup. Thoughts?
For the small cost difference of the EU1000 to the EU2000, you are best to go with the EU2000. Always bought the Hondas but am told that the Yamahas are just as good (and quiet).
Old 07-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
For the small cost difference of the EU1000 to the EU2000, you are best to go with the EU2000. Always bought the Hondas but am told that the Yamahas are just as good (and quiet).
We have had a Yamaha 2000 for almost four years now, and it has been great for us. They are in my opinion as good and as quiet as the Hondas. At the time, we also paid a little less for our Yamaha than the price we could find for the Honda. We are very satisfied.
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have a Yamaha 2400ishc, great generator, have had it for years and it is as quiet as can be. Would not hesitate to buy a Yamaha again. I actually prefer the Yamaha over the Honda.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #14

Although a tad off topic. I use a Champion (1400) sold at Tractor Supply, for running everything on my rig except the A/C or microwave. 200.00 39.00 for an additionla 2 year free replacement (comes with a 2 year too) warranty. Uses about 1.50 gallons per 6 to 7 hours of run time. A bit louder thatn the Honda and Yamaha but I'm usually at the race track where loud is part of life. I have been using in at least twice a month for a couple of years now, usually I fire it up on Friday evening and shut it down on Sunday afternoon. More often than not I probably run it 48 hours straight with little or no break. Keep fresh oil and clean air and loctite a few key nuts and bolts and they do a pretty good job. I also use nothing but 100% gasoline. They have pretty good Cust Service too. I had torn off the plactic volt meter during unloading, called and asked where I could buy one they sent me one free of charge.
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter, motorhome