Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have it in my motorhome tires, but I do not see any benefits (the tires just came that way, nitrogen fill included).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I agree. People who have nitrogen in their tires all of a sudden have to go to a place that has nitrogen fill equipment to be able to check and adjust their pressure. Its an advertising/marketing gimmick to force you to come to their store for routine maintenance that you should do yourself.

How many people run low tires because they have nitrogen and can't adjust it themselves. Even if they just run them low till they get to the dealer, is that safe?

I have heard a couple NASCAR reasons for nitrogen;
1: NASCAR only uses it because their high performance pneumatic tools run on nitrogen, and so they use it to fill tires too.
2: Pure nitrogen expands at a known rate, while 'air' does not because of varying humidity and 'other' gas content. They want to know exactly how much pressure will increase at racing temperatures, and have that be consistent no matter if they are in Vegas, or Daytona.

I don't know if either is true.
As a Nascar Guy I guess I am qualified to answer, We use nitrogen in tires because it is a Inert gas so it is dry, H2O in tires make the pressures go up with the high temps of the tires you can gain 10-15# real easy with Nitrogen its more like 5 (You can never get 100% of the air out) its true that we run the Pit Guns on it But tires are the main reason, that being said its a waste of time and money putting It in a RV or Auto Tire
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's a solution to a nonexistent problem.

Plain old air has worked fine since pneumatic tires were invented.

Special applications like racing or aircraft have good reasons for using nitrogen but they have no bearing on RVs.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Air is mostly nitrogen, if the claims of "Molecular migration" are true (They say it does not leak out as fast) then as you re-fill the nitrotgen content increases.

Ask yourself "Is it worth it" I feel it is not.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Wait !!!

I disagree !!!

The nitrogen in my tires is second only to my blinker fluid - and neither has ever needed replacing !

Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #20

I would rank it up there with other marketing gimmicks like,

"Rinse and repeat" ! and the

"3,000 oil change"

But maybe not as high as

"The check is in the mail" or

"Don't worry, it's only a rash." or

"Lose weight without dieting or exercise"

H.

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraygun View Post
I would like too add.I work at automotive dealership that sells nitrogen for tires.We preload all new vehicles with it.We have machines that run through several cycles that removes the air.The main benefit that I personally like.Is that I have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) on my cars.And those systems do not like moisture.It is electronic after all.Its nice to have super dry air inside the tire. The downside is....at least here in Houston when the temps fall.....So does the tire pressure.Seems its affected by temperature extremes. Sometimes we get an onslaught of folks coming by for refills(for free of course ) because their dash lites are on.My opinion is if no tpms don't bother. But can be good for steel wheels.Most modern alloy wheels will be unaffected buy regular humidty. Theres my two cents
Spraygun,just in case we missed you on the new member check in. JMHO, your 2c is right on .
For anyone who adjusts their own tire pressures, it's a waste of $.
If your getting it for free , well that's different.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #22

Before the discussion gets too far into the perennial - and invariably futile - nitrogen debate, the real point of the original post was that his ride quality sucks.

Could that be because he is running 120psi in his tyres.

Why so high??

Has the coach been weighed and tyre tables consulted.

What are the placarded tyre pressures.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Before the discussion gets too far into the perennial - and invariably futile - nitrogen debate, the real point of the original post was that his ride quality sucks.

Could that be because he is running 120psi in his tyres.

Why so high??

Has the coach been weighed and tyre tables consulted.

What are the placarded tyre pressures.
You make an excellent point. I run 105 in the rear and 110 in the front. When they are hot, I will see 115 in the rear and 115 front. +- The rear duals run hotter than the front hence the greater change in running pressure.

At 120 cold, I can imagine the running hot pressure will be in excess of 125 PSI which would likely cause a stiff ride for sure. I would also be concerned with the pressure rating of the rims?? Just a question.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #24

waste of your money!
LJ2654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to weigh your rig and set your tire pressure by the chart, although I don't know if double coin has a chart.
My rig is about the same size as your's and my 22.5 Michelin's are set to 90lb as per the Michelin chart.
That high of a tire pressure will result in a very rough ride and possibly handling problems.
If adding nitrogen makes them ride smoother I'll eat my hat.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You need to weigh your rig and set your tire pressure by the chart, although I don't know if double coin has a chart.
My rig is about the same size as your's and my 22.5 Michelin's are set to 90lb as per the Michelin chart.
That high of a tire pressure will result in a very rough ride and possibly handling problems.
If adding nitrogen makes them ride smoother I'll eat my hat.

Until you eat your hat, the jury is not in. I'll just enjoy my ride until there is a majority verdict. Video of hat consumption required.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #27

do you that use Nitrogen change it each season and get the "summer" or "winter" nitrogen?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #28

Tires are designed for cold air inflation and benefit from an increase of running air temperature. In the same time higher pressure gives better gas mileage.
Therefore after reading this all nitrogen claims are false and make it absolutly a gimmick to make more money from us.
I call it an other cash cow.

Tags
tires