Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I use helium. Makes the coach lighter and increased my mileage to 11.

Of course I have to fill the tires 3x a day because those little He atom rascals escape faster

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #16

truck is

my truck tires are filled with nitrogen came that way new, i noticed that

with the changing weather the tire pressure does not.

Jim

Old 09-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I use helium. Makes the coach lighter and increased my mileage to 11.
Wouldn't that stress your suspension, with the tires trying to lift off the ground ?
Old 09-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Wouldn't that stress your suspension, with the tires trying to lift off the ground ?
And make the brakes less efficient
Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #19

Personally, I don't use it or worry about it because it is a property of air anyways. But to say that it doesn't make a difference would take a lot smarter person than me and with many of the posters here having PHD's (LOL) I'll keep my mouth closed on this and let this link do the talking. Enjoy.

Here's is a link to a study that is very interesting if you have time to read and are into numbers and PHD's?
http://www.nitrofill.com/documents/I...port101807.pdf

Here is a study below!

Parker posts results of nitrogen tire inflation trial. By CCJ Staff Drexan Corp. recently conducted a double blind study measuring the effects of nitrogen tire inflation on tire life and fuel efficiency in a long-haul trucking fleet. Performance of nitrogen-filled tires was measured against performance of air-filled tires with and without a maintenance program. Parker Hannifin, based in Haverhill, Mass., provided the nitrogen generator used during this study. The results of this analysis, according to Parker, recently were presented at the Clemson Tire Conference:

• When compared to historical data, nitrogen tire inflation provides a 6.1 percent improvement in fuel efficiency when compared to a fleet with no tire pressure maintenance program;

• When compared to historical data and an in-trial control, nitrogen tire inflation provides a 3.3 percent improvement in fuel efficiency when compared to a fleet using air inflation and a tire pressure maintenance program; and

• When compared to the in-trial air control, nitrogen-filled tires provided an average tread life improvement of 86 percent when compared to a fleet using air inflation and a tire pressure maintenance program. The study, Parker says, infers that casing life improves, increasing retreadability, and tire failures decrease. The economic implications of nitrogen tire inflation also were impressive, according to the company:

• Saved 110,000 gallons of diesel and U.S. $285,000 over the nine-month period;

• The value of the extended tire life was not monetized, but could be calculated easily for any fleet that knows their cost/mile for tires; and

• Greenhouse gas emissions were reduced, allowing them to be exchanged for revenue on carbon trading sites. Parker says the study was conducted over a nine-month period in 2006 using a fleet comprising 70 long-haul tractors and 117 trailers, providing 1988 wheel positions. It consisted of 6.1 million tractor miles and 110 million tread miles, and it covered the coldest and hottest months of the year to minimize climate variances, according to the company; the analysis isolated inflation gas as the primary basis for any change in the mean
Old 09-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #20
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
When compared to historical data, nitrogen tire inflation provides a 6.1 percent improvement in fuel efficiency when compared to a fleet with no tire pressure maintenance program;
very misleading. I would submit that the increase was a result of a strict tire maintenance program and not by nitrogen/

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club

Nitrogen in All of my 3 Vehicles and the MH and Race Trailer and Race Car- since 2000 ! Carry a 40 tank and Regulator on board.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:51 AM   #22

Totally agree with Gordon Dewald, Dennis45 and Waiter21. Yes the oxygen molecule is smaller than the nitrogen molecule but if you are using air then every time you top off your tires the total oxygen content is less than before and eventually the gas in the tire will be 99+% nitrogen. As far as the nitrogen filled tire having less pressure increase with temperature rise the "Gas Law" used by every engineer in the world would dispute that. The gas law equation is PV=nRT with
P = pressure
V = Volume (which would be the volume in the tire)
n = number of moles of gas
R = Gas Constant (which is the same for every gas)
T = Temperature in degrees Rankin (R = F + 360)

Using this equation the pressure increase would be the same for any gas with the same temperature change.

The "studies" referenced above compare fleets using nitrogen and a rigid tire maintenance procedure versus fleets using air with little or no rigid tire maintenance keeping the air pressure maintained

Nitrogen is a marketing ploy which practices the old Barnum & Bailey quote "You can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time" (or something like that), thus making money. Spend your money for something worthwhile.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:00 AM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
I do not agree, your steel belts are molded within the rubber, they will not rust, I would really like to know where you heard this

Nitrogen is a marketing gimmick
Check with the tire companies. If the interior rubber coating cracks the moisture will in fact rust the cords/belts. Try looking at some blown out tires where it just happened and you'll probably find rust.

Here's another but it's suspect since it's from the nitrogen suppliers!
http://www.nitrofill.com/documents/R...erioration.pdf
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #24

I have nitrogen in 3 of my vehicles. The big advantage is you never need to add air. This translates into longer tire milage. I hate to need to add 15 pounds to my coach tires which is hard to do. If nitrogen would keep the coach from loosing that 10 or 15 pounds from setting I would go for it. By the way most large shops have a nitrogen generator and at the price they charge is for these large tires the tire dealer would throw in the nitrogen or down the road I would go.

Dan
Old 09-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #25

My rockwood came with nitrogen filled tires. I had to add air after first trip to get back to max psi. My wife's new (2 weeks ago) toyota highlander came in after we spec-d out the items we wanted on it, and dealer then added nitrogen charge to price. I refused to pay the extra $69. I didn't ask for it. Don't want it. Don't need it. Saw no benefits in the rockwood nitril tires all the way up to the tread seperation flat at 6000 miles.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
Nitrogen has benefits in tires used for air craft or race cars. For a vehicle at normal speeds, it serves no practical purpose. It is a profit center for the tire seller.
If it makes you feel better, spend the money on it. It won’t hurt, but remember that it is not as easy to find 100% Nitrogen for bring tires up to pressure.
Normal air contains 78% Nitrogen, so is it worth it for an extra 22%? I think not.
The next time I tow my trailer at 200 MPH or it has the name “Boeing” on it, I will use nitrogen.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #27

Pretty basic, fabric protection, clear coat protection, leather protection, nitrogen for tires,
all equal Cash Cow for the dealer selling.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Pretty basic, fabric protection, clear coat protection, leather protection, nitrogen for tires,
all equal Cash Cow for the dealer selling.
And extended warranties.

Tags
tires