Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #1

I know that nitrogen will keep your tires cooler and will help from wheels loosing pressure because of the size of the molecules, but does anyone know if nitrogen will improve your fuel economy? I have been quoted $10 per tire to inflate with nitrogen so I am trying to find out if it is cost effective.

Thanks for any information you might have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #2

I know that nitrogen will keep your tires cooler and will help from wheels loosing pressure because of the size of the molecules, but does anyone know if nitrogen will improve your fuel economy? I have been quoted $10 per tire to inflate with nitrogen so I am trying to find out if it is cost effective.

Thanks for any information you might have.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The short answer is No, it won't.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
...not likely to do keep tires cooler or help from loosing pressure enough for you to notice either. If you google "nitrogen in tires" you will get lots of info from Nitrogen sellers and from some folks who have tested their claims.

You may not know that the air in your tires right now is 78% Nitrogen. Replacing the remaining 11% with Nitrogen won't do much more than lighten your wallet!! And BTW -- $10 per tire is pretty high compared to what I have seen from other Nitrogen sellers.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My opinion is you will never see any appreciable increase in fuel economy by running N2. Air is about 74% N2 to begin with. In applications where yuo want very stable tire temps and no possible moisture...OK N2 will be worth it...but do you use a jet or a race car?

I think the N2 issue is another way someone can make money...much like the designer bottled water.
I refuse to buy bottled water (only as a last resort) and will not buy N2.

Ken
Old 08-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Gary, all things being equal.

However, one could argue that with nitrogen filled tires the tire pressure is less likely to change due to temp and such, and that tire pressure can affect mileage (as well as tire wear). One would have to know a few more data to estimate the cost effectiveness, (I.E. what the change in mileage would be; over how many miles the tires would be used; change of tire wear between the two gases; costs of tires; and probably a few more data).

After saying all that though, since F1 race cars use it, wouldn't it be cool to be in their league?

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:37 AM   #7

Snake air.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:45 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Another solution to a nonexistent problem.

What may be beneficial in aircraft or race cars has little in common with RV's.

IMHO, any advantage, real or imagined would be offset by the expense and difficulty in finding nitrogen when tire pressures need adjusting.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #9
paz

Costco uses nitrogen to inflate the tires they sell - no extra cost. Whatever small advantage there might be to using nitrogen, I'll take it if it's free; but I would never pay extra for it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
Another solution to a nonexistent problem.

What may be beneficial in aircraft or race cars has little in common with RV's.

IMHO, any advantage, real or imagined would be offset by the expense and difficulty in finding nitrogen when tire pressures need adjusting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez Dirk, you mean my motorhome is not capable of climbing to 30,000 ft. altitude, or going 175mph? I'm hurt!!

Kidding aside, you are right on, another solution to a non existant problem.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #11

The tires on my 95 Windstar used to be refilled every week. Since I bought tires that were filled with nitrogen in December of 07 I haven't had to add air to them.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:

IMHO, any advantage, real or imagined would be offset by the expense and difficulty in finding nitrogen when tire pressures need adjusting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No way you can argue with that Dirk. I agree with you that this is snake oil. My daughter bought a Nissan that the dealer put nitrogen in the tires. Her last oil change they said she was coming up on the nitrogen change out. Service writer said that the nitrogen will react with residual oxygen. She told him that was great, she needed a little laughing gas.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I bought tires that were filled with nitrogen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Along with your nitrogen, you got new tires & valve stems so would have to figure that into any improvement in maintining pressure also...

I never have to add air to my car or MH tires other than seasonal adjustments -- add a little when the weather turns colder in the Fall -- bleed off a bit when hot weather arrives in late Spring. And I do check tire pressures every travel day before starting out in the am.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The tires on my 95 Windstar used to be refilled every week. Since I bought tires that were filled with nitrogen in December of 07 I haven't had to add air to them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't mean much, since you also got new tires and probably new valve stems at the same time. Your old tires leaked - the new ones do not. The nitrogen has nothing to do with it, in my opinion.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote