Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #1

No 110 in the Motor home

So I went to check the motor home this AM and there is no 110 volt in the house. The panel indicates there is power coming in. I unplugged and started the genny but the same. Batteries do not seem to be charging plugged into shore power.

I checked the auto switch and have power coming out of it both from the genny and from shore, but there is no power in my fuse box.

I assume there must be something kicked off but what is between the auto switch and the breaker box unless it is the inverter. Have no power from the inverter either, by the way.

Any thoughts? Oh, it is a '98 Dutch Star.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dan
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #2

My problem always ends at the GFIC in the bathroom. Usually a hair dryer or something trips the breaker. Older ones give up quicker
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Check the inverter breakers
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #4

I thought about GFIC but would that cut off power to the breaker box itself, and I tried resetting it but nothing changed. Don't know of any other GFIC boxes, although my book says there is one in the kitchen also. The book says each GFIC controls certain outlets but it does not appear there is even power to the inverter/battery charger.
Also checked the resettable breakers on the inverter and they were good. Have a Hart Inverter, should there be other breakers besides the 15 and 30 amp on the front of the inverter?
Thanks for you help.

Dan
Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
YC1

Ditto on the breakers on the Inverter. Mine has two of them and many circuits go through it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
My 110v outlets have two breakers near the 2500w inverter but between the inverter and the GFI.

Do your roof AC units run?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #7

Checked the air and it works, that is good, at least there is power in the coach. Will now go check for the second breaker for the inverter.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #8

The inverter only powers up certain circuits, not all of them, and should be on a seperate breaker in the main box. The main panel is usually fed directly from the transfer switch. I would check for loose connections in the transfer switch and in the breaker panel. Of course, make sure you are unplugged from shore power before tightening the connections. When looking for "missing volts" start at the source where you know you have voltage and keep following the wiring untill it stops. Do you have an energy management system? Could be a problem there.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #9

I thought the power should go directly from the switch to the breaker box also. Checked all the connections and there is power out of the switch but nothing at all in the box.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #10

So new thoughts on this. There is a breaker for "air", actually a double breaker. There is no power as far as I can tell to the breaker but the air turns on when I turn the thermostat to cool. Does not seem to blow as hard but it did kick in the compressor, I could hear it kick on. So the question is, how can the air come on when there is not power to the breakers for the air? Confusing afternoon.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #11

When I had a similar problem it was the circuit breaker in the AC breaker box. With no power to the inverter it would not pass-thru power to the coach circuits.
Turn that circuit breaker off then on again, it might help.

have a nice day - Darrel
Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
YC1

Although the diagram here is not for your rv it will give everyone an idea how some are wired. Some circuits do not pass through the Inverter and they remain hot. On my inverter/converter there are two small circuit breakers with little white round tops. Kind of easy to miss if it wasn't such a common issue on the forums.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 120V Block Diagram.pdf (107.6 KB, 45 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #13

Thanks for all your help. Just wanted to update those who have left messages. As far as I can tell, the motor home healed itself. Of course, my fear is, if I did not fix it, it could happen again. When I put all of the things I was looking at back together, the power was back on. Maybe I did reboot the GFIC or the inverter breaker was reset ... anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions. I will keep you informed if anything happens again.

Take care,

Dan
Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
So new thoughts on this. There is a breaker for "air", actually a double breaker. There is no power as far as I can tell to the breaker but the air turns on when I turn the thermostat to cool. Does not seem to blow as hard but it did kick in the compressor, I could hear it kick on. So the question is, how can the air come on when there is not power to the breakers for the air? Confusing afternoon.

Somehow, you are not accurately measuring power through the breaker because, if the roof air compressor is on, 120 volts are passing through that breaker.

If you look at YC1's diagram, you will see how many rigs are wired for VAC. Certain breakers (2 on my rig) lead to the Inverter then through 2 basement mounted breakers, back to the GFI outlet(s), and then on to the other outlets.

The Refrigerator outlet does not run through the Inverter on my rig and that is where I have also wired my electric water heater. The roof air units do not run through the inverter. Our Microwave/Convection oven does run via the inverter.

So, it appears that your problem was downstream of the circuit breaker box or was a specific circuit breaker.

Glad to hear you are operational again.

Thanks for posting the result.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote